Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool TR: Boomerang Couloir, Hagar Mountain 13,195' 11.7.06

TR: Boomerang Couloir, Hagar Mountain 13,195’ 11.7.06
    Mtnbikerskierchick, iskibc
    7.5 miles, 3,100’ elevation gain
    Trailhead: Dry Gulch

Hagar mountain sits on the continental divide just north of Loveland ski area and on the border of the Williams Fork mountains. Hagar offers some excellent ski descents off its E-SE face, as well as a fun class 3 ridge traverse over to Citadel. Throughout most of the winter the approach to
    Hagar up is dangerous due to the several large slide paths that funnel down into Dry Gulch. Hagar and Citadel are famous for heavy wind loading as well, so a winter ski descent is not recommended. Most of these routes are best either during stable conditions or later on in the spring once the pack has settled.

The approach to Hagar is fairly straightforward and all the ski lines can be seen once you reach the upper bench of Dry Gulch. Most of the lines off Hagar are between 33-40 degrees in pitch and run for a good 1,200’+ of vert. Hagar can also be approached from the west side of the Eisenhower tunnel, but if you are looking to ski the E-SE face, then a climb back over the divide is mandatory. Setting up a car shuttle is also another option.

The day started off rather challenging, as the weather didn’t seem to be cooperating and visibility was horrible. We parked at the unofficial trailhead and wearily skinned up Dry Gulch with hopes of the weather breaking later on in the morning. The sun peaked out during sunrise for a couple of moments and then disappeared as freezing drizzle and high wind gusts took over.

We casually made our way up along the willow-infested creek bed and endured the nasty weather that was falling from the sky. Within minutes my outer layer was covered in ice from the freezing drizzle and the gusty winds became steadier. I summit attempt and ski descent wasn’t looking too promising. However, we decided to push along and see what the weather would do. A day spent in the mountains is always a good day, but with nasty weather like this, the ‘good’ part would be a challenge on this day.

Once we made it above tree line the weather got worse and the visibility was now zero. I used my GPS to navigate us over to the base of Hagar and Citadel.

Here's our view of looking up the mountain, or is it down? Or across?:

I knew we were getting close as the pitch began to increase and the dramatic cliffs rising up the east face of Hagar came into view. We were now at the point of ‘go’ or ‘no go’, and so we slowed down and accessed the situation. It was apparent the weather wasn’t going to lift and we were climbing blindly up into difficult and dangerous terrain. We decided it would be best to climb up the tighter couloir as it would be easier to see from the contrast of the dark rocks and cliff bands lining the couloir.

Greybird is soooo much fun:

I had skied the peak several years ago, but haven’t been back there since, so I had a hard time figuring out which line we were climbing up.

mbsc down there somewhere:

The snow pack underfoot was solid and tightly fused together, so at least we had one good thing going for us as we began our climb up the lower apron.

mbsc skinning:

We zigzagged up the lower part of the couloir until it got too steep to where it would be easier to boot pack. The fresh snow that had dropped the night before got deeper as we ascended higher and higher, but I was still confident with the stability of the pack. We made slow progress up the couloir as we were boot packing in heavy and wet knee-deep snow.

mbsc:

Tired of wading in the deep snow, I give the alternative a shot:

The last ¼ of the climb I saw what looked to be a blotch of blue sky hovering over the top of the ridge. Seconds later it disappeared and the thick clouds raced back over the top of the mountain. “What a tease”, I thought to myself. So, I put my head down and kept pushing further and higher up the couloir.

Looking down the line with a little bit of light peaking through the clouds:

As I reached the last 20’ or so of the climb the rapidly moving clouds overhead broke and the sun peered through the opening in the sky! It was at this moment that I saw some of the coolest and most dramatic views I’ve seen in a long time. The combination of the thick rime on everything, the mysterious looking fog racing around the mountain tops, and the beautiful peaks surrounding me, was like stepping into some sort of fantasy.

Looking over towards Citadel:

The scene was surreal, and even a couple dozen attempts at capturing it on camera couldn’t do it any justice. The storm was moving out and the sun was creeping in. It’s almost like everything fell into place. Our timing couldn’t have been any better.

More scenics:

Clouds hovering over the divide:

Another sweet looking line:

I sat on the summit block of Hagar and watched MBSC make her way up the final part of the couloir.

Nice looking sub-ridge to the NW:

From another angle:

On top of the world:

We didn’t spend much time hanging around on the summit as the winds were brutal and the sun was already beginning to bake the freshly fallen snow. We knew the snow would be somewhat sticky and heavy, but at least it was better being able to see where we were skiing than having to deal with the vertigo inducing soup of clouds and fog. MBSC dropped in first and made her way down the upper section to the bend in the couloir.

MBSC further down the couloir:

I could tell the snow was heavy and wet, so I tried to stay on top of the snow and work on my backseat skiing steeze.

Once we reached the middle of the run the conditions drastically improved and we were skiing some fun and creamy goodness all the way down to the lower creek bed.

Exiting onto the apron:

We managed to get in a good 2,000’ of sustainable vert before bushwhacking our way back through the willows and down to the car. Overall it was a pretty darn good day. The challenges with the weather and visibility only made the day that much better. Can’t wait to get out and do it again.

Thumbs up

I hate you....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thumbs up

You've got to love it when a plan comes together and the sun come out just at the right time.

The tease was so worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

good to see the mntbikerskierchickwithpinkpants and iskibcandclimblikeamountaingoat duo are back in action!

looks like a fun line, nicely done!

great tr! amazing shots as usual

shouldn't you have been in school Mtnbikerskierchick?

nice pics and nice skiing guys!
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Never cease to amaze me. Way to get after yet another sweet line. I am patiently waiting for the snowline to drop here in W. Montana. Right now we are looking at least 7000 ft snowlevel. That means starting at best 5000 in the mush and topping out around 9000.

So i do have a question....(don't take it the wrong way, just curious)....what does the wife/girlfriend think of you ripping big peaks with a female shredder? Any conflict there?

Thanks. ... memories of some of the ol' stompin' grounds.

Cha$$Ching$$

Way to get it done.

damn, iski makes me jealous. I can't wait to finally make it out this weekend.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Your pics are getting better and better. The one with MSBC skiing the couloir about half way down is $$$$$.

Don't you guys ever work?

Sweet, thanks for all the photos.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Sweeet!! With shots as good as that, I can only imagine what the real thing looked like. Thank you, both of you.
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 11-08-2006 at 06:08 PM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Very nice!!!

uber amazing!
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Awesome TR!
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

that was a great one, nice job

yeah, I know, St. Louis sucks
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

I'll just state the obvious. Nice TR and great pics!

Yep, that's it. I can't look at your stuff anymore. You're friggin' killin' me. Back to rehabbing my knee....

Very well done. I hate school.
    Umbrellas are for fags.

Sweet. Love it when the weather works out for just long enough...

As usual, amazing pics. I find that thought running through my head a lot where a picture can't do any justice to the beauty of a landscape.