Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I heard that stormchaser stole MirCat's skis, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I do feel compelled to jump back in here, because I fell into the same trap - I was going to PM AdironRider, but I'll just lay it up here:

No one suggested theft is oK, or cool with them. What he said is that maybe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Here comes the part that I learned arguing a very similar point:

This forum is populated by people who make their living from intellectual property, and as such, the trafficking in said property is an issue near and dear to their (and by extension to the rest of the Maggot COMMUNITY) hearts and careers! One funny post from this summer was the guy who came on here and asked how to illegally download ski movies!!! Now that was great fun to watch the Mags' roar!!!

So, here's the cliff notes version... learn to respect just what it is that a photog creates, then you will see why they are (rightfully) defensive about any misuse!

I did... hope my experience helps.
    RIGHT ON!
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rightcoast View Post
    i stole it all and sent it to Colorado for free skis.
    Don't Kstorm my snow....

Sorry, had to be said

B)

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Declaration if Independence Signed!
    Barbarians Sack Rome!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9 View Post
    Yeah, I'm completely over this. It's just lame. Time to move on. I got no hard feelings for anyone except super hot chicks that give me raging hard feelings without me really having any choice in the matter.

That said, how the hell do I get rid of this crap? Epicski? Ebay (can I prove authenticity and get any real value? Which will be matched and donated.)
    MD,

A suggestion, and you could use this for a number of different organzations, but the Mammoth Ski Patrol's fund would have the "clout" on ebay to auction off the stuff and put the proceeds into their fund for the families. I would assume any major group could do the same. Perhaps Chris Van...(sorry can't remember how to spell his name) who was with Doug, would be another place to donate the skis, I'm sure his fund could put the proceeds to good use. That would take the trouble of auctioning off the stuff off your shoulders and you'd know it would go to a good cause.

Good Luck, and glad tosee this was resolved.
    Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

I do feel compelled to jump back in here, because I fell into the same trap - I was going to PM AdironRider, but I'll just lay it up here:

No one suggested theft is oK, or cool with them. What he said is that maybe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Here comes the part that I learned arguing a very similar point:

This forum is populated by people who make their living from intellectual property, and as such, the trafficking in said property is an issue near and dear to their (and by extension to the rest of the Maggot COMMUNITY) hearts and careers! One funny post from this summer was the guy who came on here and asked how to illegally download ski movies!!! Now that was great fun to watch the Mags' roar!!!

So, here's the cliff notes version... learn to respect just what it is that a photog creates, then you will see why they are (rightfully) defensive about any misuse!

I did... hope my experience helps.
    Thank god someone understands the point I was trying to make. I never said what Storm did was right. Reread what I said, I agree that he fucked up and deserved some sort of punishment. But all this hooplah over a pair of crappy skis is kind of stupid. It would be one thing if he stole a car, but this is petty shit.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Thank god someone understands the point I was trying to make. I never said what Storm did was right. Reread what I said, I agree that he fucked up and deserved some sort of punishment. But all this hooplah over a pair of crappy skis is kind of stupid. It would be one thing if he stole a car, but this is petty shit.
    I'm with the others here, you still don't get it. It's not about a pair of crappy skis. There's a lot more to it than you apparently understand. On a professional front, MD9 is trying to build a portfolio and gain some exposure that can lead to building his own creative business. If someone takes his stuff and claims it as his own, that takes away from his portfolio and harms his efforts to build his practice. It's not about the skis, it's about stealing his creative works and potentially causing him long term harm in the process.

Another perspective on this is, I don't know what you do for a living but I'm guessing it's not in a creative field. Creative types have a bit of their own soul into every piece of work they create. To have someone steal their work is like having a piece of their soul stolen too. It's not just about the skis, or the money, or the prestige; it's about not wanting to give something of yourself up when someone takes it from you. For you, or anyone else to simply break it into a dollars and cents issue only is insensitive and petty. I would suggest you stand back for a minute and examine some other thoughts about what happened and maybe you'll realize that, regardless of the face value of the 'prize' won, the further ramifications of having someone violate your creative space are much farther reaching. Think about this; why is it, do you suppose that most artists are the stereo-typical "starving artists" and usually only gain fame after their death? Do you really believe they're only creating their art as a way to get rich? What compels them to spend the time they do in creating their work? If they were doing simply for the money, why would they paint and re-paint a particular piece, spending countless hours that will never be returned to them in the form of cash? Do you think any of these guys try to break down their incomes on an hourly basis and compare it to others in their field? Simply put, open your mind. Your comments have been very linear and not well thought out. As least Chris Keenan finally got it. You haven't.

obviously you were'nt paying attention when this all started. MD9 posted a thread about some wedding photog stealing his photo and submitting it to the ski utah contest. MD9 did due dillegence and found out a wanna be maggot was the actual theif. Thats when the shit hit the fan. the skis wormchaser won in the contest just added fuel to an already raging fire. your values are pretty fucked up if you believe stealing from your friends is petty shit.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider View Post

Ha ha, you won chick skis.
    They'll go great on the trunk rack of his MAZDA MIATA!!

dude. I tried...

dude. I tried...
    Yes, and you saw the light too. At least you understand the issue. The other guy hasn't seen the light yet but, hopefully he will.

That was a nice heartfelt apology Stormchaser.

Come on. It would be one thing if MD9 was a professional photographer, or if he had wanted to enter the contest. But he only flips out when he finds out the other guy won stuff? If he hadnt won anything Id bet this wouldnt be the controversy of the year on the board. MD didnt watermark his image and he posted it up where millions of people could do just what Stormchaser did. He could have prevented it as well.

This by no means gets storm off the hook. Theres a reason why hes one of the few within the millions of people out there and got his just deserves. Hes a moron and douchebag but come on, all that talk about lawyers and lawsuits? On what grounds and for how much? What lawyer is going to take a case to sue somone halfway across the country over a pair of skis. Puhlease.
    Unbelievable implication that md9 was partially at fault for this.

Your first post to the effect that the TGR mob mentality was overblown is defensible.

This implication in the first paragraph is simply indefensible.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by AdironCockRider View Post
    Vell I hope you leaf enough room for my FIST because I am going to RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Barbarians Sack Rome!
    There is light!

I think you guys are misunderstanding my point. Im by no means trying to say that MD did something wrong here. He didnt. However, much in the same way we lock our houses when we leave, it could have been prevented. Watermark the image, this whole fiasco never happens. Just like if you lock your house, shit wont get jacked. Storm fucked up and stole a picture to use in a contest. Thats fucked up and he paid the price. The only point I was trying to make was that it could have been prevented, something we should all take note of. Putting images out there without protection is much like leaving your house unlocked.

Apologies to anyone who thinks I was trying to take a stance that I wasnt, just trying to point out that a little prevention never hurt. People do fucked up shit no matter how trusting you are.
    Live Free or Die

Gore invents Internet!
    ya know, beer is far more than just the world's most perfect breakfast food.

SURVEY SAYS.........0
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9 View Post
    Yeah, I'm completely over this. It's just lame. Time to move on.

RESPECT! You got the right attitude
    Last edited by hemlock hiker; 11-10-2006 at 01:17 PM.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi