Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Why don't the gals go on missions? I bet the success rate would go way up!

because missionary is SO boring?
    aka JunkMonkey (Ttips) ... aka TheBadGuy (Ep'ick)

When I want the MMF opinion I'll PM you, mmm'kay?

Quote Originally Posted by bklyntrayc View Post
    The countdown begins before someone tells frozen to "lighten up"...

Naw, if you knew the man better, and his life history, you would not be saying that. What he said is very valid. Grizz, CS, Powstash, the Frozenwater in an earlier life= Mormon. These guys are great people.

I wanted to chime in on my only missionary experience, oddly in a valley that is predominately Mormon. You would think knocking on doors in a valley that is around 75% mormon would be a large waste of time, but what do I know.

My experience was a few years ago. Two dudes show up in a car and my Great Danes go nuts. My boy, Zanik, wags his tail at, well the best way to describe it is at your nutsack level (cover your nuts when you first meet him, you have been warned, ask 2P about that). So it is summer, I am wearing no shirt and I have 2 tats that pretty much stand out. So the knock on the door happens.

This is where all hell breaks loose. Both dogs barking like they are going to kill these poor sweating-in-suits missionaries. I open the door, Zanik's tail sends my open beer flying across the room, I start yelling "God damn dog, what the fuck are you doing, get out of here!" and then look at the two missionaries.

They are in a stunned, deer caught in the headlights look all the way, jaws dropped.

I got a "This does not look like a good time, we will come back".

Never came back, wonder why?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Some do, one year stints usually.

The whole sales and marketing, nothing better to do stuff is condescending and inflaming PNWBrit and you knew that when you wrote it. Why do you always throw stones and play the I didn't mean it that way or I wasn't attacking you when it comes to religion? Can't you accept that other people have faith in a higher power and leave it at that. I'll get off my soap box now and pretend that I'm working again.

Buzz how the hell do you have time to have made over 6,000 posts?

Quote Originally Posted by UTdave View Post
    Can't you accept that other people have faith in a higher power and leave it at that.
    I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that those that have such a faith can't let those with differing ones alone about it...but that's just me really.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that those that have such a faith can't let those with differing ones alone about it...but that's just me really.
    That is certainly true about some.

In the interest of getting us back off track:

hardwood or fruitwood smoked bacon, discuss.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

In the interest of getting us back off track:

hardwood or fruitwood smoked bacon, discuss.
    Well on Sunday I smoked a pork tenderloin wrapped with bacon. I did it using charcoal and hickory. I wish I still had some. To be honest I prefer center cut bacon not smoked. Smoked is good just not my thing.

Arrow

Buzz how the hell do you have time to have made over 6,000 posts?
    I'm on the phone right now selling a few systems. I have a headset so I can type and just keep a brower open.

Plus there are a couple thou from the Ut Mini threads.

I spend most of my day on the phone and can type pretty damn fast.

Work and play at the same time.

Well on Sunday I smoked a pork tenderloin wrapped with bacon. I did it using charcoal and hickory. I wish I still had some. To be honest I prefer center cut bacon not smoked. Smoked is good just not my thing.
    Dayum, that sounds good. (wiping drool off my keyboard)

Smoked is good just not my thing.
    blashemous heathen.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

blashemous heathen.
    Nothing quite like being a blasphemor. I love smoking most meat just not smoked bacon.

Can't you accept that other people have faith in a higher power and leave it at that.
    leave it at that?...... you mean like me not knocking on complete strangers doors and asking if I can convert them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    leave it at that?...... you mean like me not knocking on complete strangers doors and asking if I can convert them?
    It is a pretty big inconvience for the target isn't it. It just seems like you have a lot of hostility toward religious people. I'm certainly not interested in being converted to anything but I can step back and see their point of view. They have something that is very important to them and they want to share it. Haven't you ever tried to share something important to you with others? I know you don't go door to door trying to convince people that skiing is the true path to enlightenment, but I would be surprised if you hadn't tried to take people skiing because it is important to you. The difference here is that they believe that converting you will save your soul making it important enough to go door to door. I've never tried to convert anyone and I don't want to be converted, yet I can still sympathize and understand what they are trying to do and why they are trying to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Leave your powder demagoguery in the bedroom!
    Elvis has left the building

They do...all the time.

I have 4 lady cousins of mine that went on missions.
    you sketchy character, you

It is a pretty big inconvience for the target isn't it.
    Is target the technical term used for the the knockee? That's a little harsh isn't it? What's wrong with just calling them the un-repnatant sinner, heathen or someone who most likely doesn't give a shit about the message you need to "share"

It just seems like you have a lot of hostility toward religious people......
    Just the ones who feel it necessary to share and often impose their religous delusions and rituals with the rest of the world.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 11-02-2006 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    Are you serious? Is it not valuable to take a young boy and have him dedicate two years IN the prime of his life to sacrifice, hard work, and a commitment to do his very best to share with others something in which he believes strongly? Is it not valuable to turn this boy into a man who will have gained integrity, strength in self and a respect and love for otherS instead of himself? Will this young man not make society a better place for having gained these attributes? Will he not be "valuable" to his future employers for learning to set and achieve lofty goals, to be responsible for himself and his actions and for learning to work hard through the lowliest of times regardless of rejection or disinterest in his cause BECAUSE HE COMMITTED HIMSELF TO A A CAUSE AND IS LOYAL TO HIS COMMITMENT?

As far as I'm concerned, this world could use as much integrity, honesty, loyalty, conviction, and diligence as it can get. That truly was one of the more ignorant posts I've seen on here dude. Why don't you try and understand why someone would do this, instead of instantly attacking them. Do you have any idea how many volunteers the mormon church has out there--aiding others in times of need, assisting with natural disasters, providing communities with medical expertise and resources, etc. This is not about what you deem "valuable" to society--it's about what society deems valuable to itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    It's pointless to argue this stuff on a message board like this, otherwise I would chime in more often on these topics.

To each his own.

And on a side note: I have two brothers that went on missions. What they did and what they gained from it is something you cannot understand unless you actually experience it.
    It is a pretty big inconvience for the target isn't it. It just seems like you have a lot of hostility toward religious people. I'm certainly not interested in being converted to anything but I can step back and see their point of view. They have something that is very important to them and they want to share it. Haven't you ever tried to share something important to you with others? I know you don't go door to door trying to convince people that skiing is the true path to enlightenment, but I would be surprised if you hadn't tried to take people skiing because it is important to you. The difference here is that they believe that converting you will save your soul making it important enough to go door to door. I've never tried to convert anyone and I don't want to be converted, yet I can still sympathize and understand what they are trying to do and why they are trying to do it.
    Damn that was 4 pages way to long to have to read. I just wanted to second what was said before by others. And seriously the world would be a much better place if more people were as devoted to something worth while as the MoMo missionaries are. I can't begin to tell you all the life changing experiances I had while serving my mission and I was just in Oklahoma.

A first, for me, and I couldn't help think of this thread when I saw it, and IT JUST HAPPENED MINUTES AGO.

Mormon Missionaries on the cliffs of Santa Monica, at Ocean Park. I took a picture with my cell phone. I've never, ever, seen Missionaries in L.A., let alone, amongst California palm trees. But, anyone sitting on a park bench, watching the sunset over the beach, was approached. I take my walk there every afternoon, usually at sunset, walked the whole 3 mile stretch, and watched them work their way (south) down the benches.

I saw my friend Luke, playing fetch with his dog, and warned him what was coming. I look forward to a good story tomorrow.
    Last edited by yogachik; 11-02-2006 at 07:36 PM.

act like you worship satan

Why don't the gals go on missions?
    The church has a different set of views on the role of women.

That's all I'm going to say.

Im a lesbian trapped in a man's body!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by truberski View Post
    I have limited issue with the local religion but I sometimes take offense at living here for 6 years and never had the doorbell ring. Or, they may have profiled me correctly and decided I was a lost cause.
    Profiling? Not your luck. It's actually cause there is a city ordinance in Park City that anyone without a liscense from City Hall will be fined for soliciting door to door. I'm not sure if the missionaries have a permit from the city but the reality is they don't spend thier time doing much door to door in Park City.

Fine post Griz, fine stuff indeed.

Oh yea - Egon - women do go on missions but they are only out for 18 months. Mrs. Powstash went to Italy. So yea, we have a different way of treating women- they have a lighter "sentance" than the guys. Lucky them eh?
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson