Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Mormon missionaries just knocked on my door

I didn't think my trusty .22 could go through the door. woops!

In 18 years of living in Utah that has never happened. Other faiths yes, mormons no.

7:30 P.M. on a cold evening and the guys were out in just their suits.

The one guy mistook my Eider logo on my shirt for that of an "Elder" logo(mormon missionaries are Elder's).

I told them I wasn't religious(raised quasi-catholic, but just barely). They told me the Church would always be there for me, and if I ever felt the need to try prayer since I might like it. Then they asked If I would like a Book of Mormon, and that its teachings were not in conflict with the Bible. I told them I wouldn't be too worried if they were since I'm not into the Bible either.

Overall their spiel was pretty weak. I would have expected more energy.

Its got to be tough spending 2 years knocking on the doors of people who for the most part have no interest in hearing what you have to say(I tried to be respectful). I guess it's character building.
    Last edited by str8line; 11-01-2006 at 08:50 PM.

Thats what u get for living in utah

Well, they always have each-other to turn to for support. And I think it is pretty recognised that they 'turn' to each other frequently.

You should've given them ptavv's address and told them to look him up.

18 years and this is the first?

I had missionaries stop by at least twice when I lived in SLC, and had neighbors who were missionaries when I lived in Vegas; they'd stop by regularly. (Though I think the Vegas ones just wanted to get out of the heat, and talk about the Utah Jazz.)

None of them were pushy -- although they gave it a shot, once you tell them you're not religious, the missionaries are much more low-key than 7th Day Adventists or other door-to-door proselytizers.

P.S. str8line -- did my online signup work for the Jan 12-14 camp? (am I in?)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

dum dum dum dum dum

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

P.S. str8line -- did my online signup work for the Jan 12-14 camp? (am I in?)
    Yes it did. I left you a message today. Check your voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by str8line View Post
    Yes it did. I left you a message today. Check your voicemail.
    Thanks - must be my home # -- I'm in Peoria IL today through Friday for work.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Did you tell them Halloween was yesterday, you we're out of candy, and to try again next year?

Or, you could have invited them in to check out your liquor cabinet. I hear it's vast

Are they really missionaries if they are in SLC? That doesn't seem like much of a mission, unless they are from some place like Zimbabwe.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, they always have each-other to turn to for support. And I think it is pretty recognised that they 'turn' to each other frequently.
    haha living in utah? I have gotten more missionaries living in the midwest than I have living 2 miles from the temple in downtown salt lake, which is kind of odd. I guess they figure everyone here is already mormon and have given up.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Friends who grew up in SLC used to say Mormon chicks were typically good looking and hot to trot. (They'd always qualify this by saying ... before they start pumping out babies).

They also used to say the cookies and punch 'mixers' were just the same as everyone else's under age beer parties, where one could go and hook up with the cuties, less the alcohol.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks - must be my home # -- I'm in Peoria IL today through Friday for work.
    The message won't play in Peoria?
    Elvis has left the building

supposedly theres something that you can say to the mormons that will make them scream running away from your house shaking the dust off their clothes.

anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Tresckow View Post
    Did you tell them Halloween was yesterday, you we're out of candy, and to try again next year?

Or, you could have invited them in to check out your liquor cabinet. I hear it's vast
    Bwa! Damn, I missed the oppurtunity to open the door with my candy basket in hand and ask them where their pillowcases were! I'm such an IDIOT!

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Nice............................

Quote Originally Posted by Tresckow View Post

Dude, Tresckow sightings all over the place! You and the 'lil lady at Alta again this season?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Overall their spiel was pretty weak. I would have expected more energy.

Its got to be tough spending 2 years knocking on the doors of people who for the most part have no interest in hearing what you have to say(I tried to be respectful). I guess it's character building.
    We are a block from a Jehovah Witnesses church. Our street is used for a lot of trial runs for the rookies. Almost feel sorry for them. But I don’t and feel it is best to answer the door in my boxer shorts or swearing into the phone.

Come to think of it I haven't seen one in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    It's 25 degrees outside and damp. And flat. I don't want to play in Peoria.

(I hadn't called back home since mid-day -- Mrs. C. said "there's a message on the answering machine for you from some ski guy about that camp.")

A Jehovah's Witness door-to-door type came by my late Great Aunt's house a number of years ago. She was smart lady and funny as hell. So she invites him in and gets in a big long conversation, like a couple hours. When he left he was agnostic, hahahah! That's serious legend in my fam. Go Aunt Fran! I'm waiting for one to come by my place so I can keep up the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by StormDay View Post
    We are a block from a Jehovah Witnesses church. Our street is used for a lot of trial runs for the rookies. Almost feel sorry for them. But I don’t and feel it is best to answer the door in my boxer shorts or swearing into the phone.

Come to think of it I haven't seen one in a while...
    I kind of liked the two female Jehovah's Witnesses that stopped by my house 2-3 times last spring/summer. I learned about their beliefs and how they practice. It sounded pretty cool. They listened to my beliefs as well(you know, aliens and all that shit ). They even took pulls from my bourbon bottle.

A three way with a couple of JW walk-ups...I like it!
    What if a couple of MoMos came to the door while everone was balls-deep?

I smell a PARRRRTAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by release View Post
    Are they really missionaries if they are in SLC? That doesn't seem like much of a mission, unless they are from some place like Zimbabwe.
    Hah.

Or maybe Nigeria.

"If you are not interested in this religion perhaps you could help me by giving me your social security and bank account numbers..."

I kind of liked the two female Jehovah's Witnesses that stopped by my house 2-3 times last spring/summer. I learned about their beliefs and how they practice. It sounded pretty cool. They listened to my beliefs as well(you know, aliens and all that shit ). They even took pulls from my bourbon bottle.
    Those sound more fun than the old ladies that knock on our door.

We had some missionaries the first year we lived in our old house, when the dogs we had then were just puppies. We also had some trick-or-treaters that year. Haven't seen any of either in the 15 years since then, coincidence?