Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LCC Snow Cover

LCC Snow Cover

This is my first season out there. Just wondering when you can plan on using the rock skis, when you break out the good skis, and when you can start dropping. Alta or Snowbird better than the other for early season? I'm not getting out there till December, but I'm wondering when it will get decent.

Thanks!

it will probably get decent when it starts snowing on a regular basis.

It usually gets decent around the end of November.

It hasn't been decent for over 4 months here now... wait... ya... I think I felt something.

100 inches

Arrow

Usually takes me till late December before I get off my rock boards, but I'm a weenie about hitting rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    This is my first season out there. Just wondering when you can plan on using the rock skis, when you break out the good skis, and when you can start dropping. Alta or Snowbird better than the other for early season? I'm not getting out there till December, but I'm wondering when it will get decent.

Thanks!
    Welcome to Oootah!!!

Generally speaking for Alta and Snowbird, most of major crap will be filled-in by Late Jan/early Feb.

With that said, once you learn where and what to avoid early season/low coverage, you should be OK. But that might take you a few years and a shit load of p-tex to figure out!

Some lines require a mere 40" base...and some require a good 120+" base.

Due to the high degree of variable terrain, it really depends on exactly where you ski.

So just poke around very carfully as you explore new terrain...and beware of the High-T.

-Astro

---
    AstroPax Gravity Tracks
    http://ski.astropax.com
    ---

What is the High-T, Astro?

The High Traverse?

What is the High-T, Astro?

Never mind that, just mind the warning damnit!

The High Traverse?
    "Choo Choo"

"Choo Choo"

"Choo Choo"

"Choo Choo"
    Points on their own sitting way up high

There is no point in using "Rock Skis" at SB or Alta there are so damn many big rocks you will be hitting rocks no matter how deep it gets. That being said I wait for 80" to bring out the good sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by kadeater View Post
    There is no point in using "Rock Skis" at SB or Alta there are so damn many big rocks you will be hitting rocks no matter how deep it gets. That being said I wait for 80" to bring out the good sticks.
    After further thoughts on this I concur with "kad" and perhaps would down grade it to 60"-80"
    Points on their own sitting way up high

LCC

I bow to the High-T.

So I guess it's kind of like The Village. I never bothered there until it had more than 80". It was great snow, but the lines don't really fill in and it's way risky dropping anything.

I lost my head somewhere this fall, with all the good deals out there. Wound up with a sick, excessive quiver (oh the humanity!), but nothing for rock. I guess I just use my least favorite pair (Solly 1080 Gun's).

Anyone hiked Alta yet? Planning on it tomorrow...good enough cover for a few turns?
    I recently had my testicles laminated.

i was up there thursday morning, deeper then i thought. it got raped pretty hard, but there's still snow. it's in the 40's or 50's today. it's good to get out again and skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethpistol1 View Post
    Anyone hiked Alta yet? Planning on it tomorrow...good enough cover for a few turns?
    tomorrow is too late. it's going to be warm. shit, it's warm right now. if you do go, watch the snow.

Here was yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by Sethpistol1 View Post
    You SUCK!!!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

about that temperature bit...

eek. thats a lot of time above freezing for a sheltered spot in the trees at 9662ft...

Quote Originally Posted by mrkristofo View Post
    tomorrow is too late. it's going to be warm. shit, it's warm right now. if you do go, watch the snow.

Here was yesterday:

There are two sets of tracks there, courtesy of DanTheMan and myself. For the record, rocks were still hit, with several gouges and one coreshot. Thanks for the pic!
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

Wow. If that wasn't 2,000 miles away right now...

Pull out the nice boards once Devils opens. Takes 85"+. Until then plan on rocks.

If it's heavy and wet like early season last year you can ride the new borads earlier.

First turns of the seasaon = Slay3d. Hiked Alta today...not great, but worthy of saying my season has officially gotten under way. Sorry, no pics as I was alone today.
    I recently had my testicles laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Pow View Post
    Pull out the nice boards once Devils opens. Takes 85"+. Until then plan on rocks.

If it's heavy and wet like early season last year you can ride the new borads earlier.
    This is the kind of info I can use! Just like me to take the good boards out (omigod, 60" of fresh!) and ruin the new Nordica's. Thanks, Chitown!

heck, last March at snowbird I was traversing to a big bowl under the tram and the ridge was littered wth rubble, needless to say my new board that i had protected and saved for the good snow was injured. In March though, thats some great snow, I prefer the Tetons.............!

If you ski hard in steep and tight terrrain you will hit rocks all year long. It's part of life. Winds and people scour off the snow as fast as it lands on many high points. You can try and be light on your feet, but in the end, you either have fun and replace gear as it's shot or you'll avoid the better terrain and leave the freshies to the rest of us. If you are pokey every place there is a rock you will piss off a lot of people who want to just blow by you. Just telling you now.

BTW - I switch from rock boards as soon as most of the lifts are running, sometimes sooner. Anything that reduces the fun factor isn't worth it. It's like those people that don't want their shoes to get dirty so they only wear them inside