Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whistler before Blackcomb?

I heard Whistler is getting the nod to open before Blackcomb this season. Anyone know if this is true or just a rumor?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

I havnt heard anything but usuallt blackcomb opens first if one of them does open b4 the schedualed opening on nov 23.

I did hear that they are making a strong push to open the mountains as soon and conditions alow

Just curious....but....they are rather close in proximity.....ah...nebbermind....
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Just curious....but....they are rather close in proximity.....ah...nebbermind....
    no kidding, but its not worth it to open them both so early

Quote Originally Posted by Bring On The Snow View Post
    no kidding, but its not worth it to open them both so early
    I was actually wondering what the impact of one opening over the other would be. Seems like either way you're there and there is a hill to ski but like I said.....nebbermind.........
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Seems like either way you're there and there is a hill to ski but like I said.....nebbermind.........
    your absilutely right and unless you ski W/B, your not going to give 2 shits who opens what when
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    your absilutely right and unless you ski W/B, your not going to give 2 shits who opens what when
    Id prefer whistler to open first cuz id rather ski whistler

I'm personally a huge fan of early season Blackcomb. I have a feeling Whistler wouldn't be as good before all the lifts open.
    "Who's the chump doing 140kph in the fast lane!!?" - German autobahns kick ass!

Whistler is opening first, so they can close early and replace the gondola cable. They usually alternate years, so this is a switch up.
    Early season I am a fan of Blackcomb over Whistler.
    Now all we need is some snow.

I skied Whistler early season snow conditions last year. The resort sucked but the backcountry out towards the fissle was nice. Whister seems to have allot more high elevation low angle terrain that holds snow better than Blackcomb.

man that sucks

all the JONGS in early season can easily see how to hike up to harmony and peak by following the huge cat track.

blackcomb early season is epic because to get to the 7th heaven cat track you have to do a bit of hiking in the woods which fools all the tourists.

shit all i remember last year is nov 10 or whenever blackcomb opened getting face shots all day in 7th heaven, skiing pakalolo waist deep and hiking to spankys before glacier ever opened

Yeah man, last season opener was wild we hiked up to Hortsman the weekend before the lifts started and rode all the way down to the top of the gondy.

Quote Originally Posted by eirikainersharp View Post
    Yeah man, last season opener was wild we hiked up to Hortsman the weekend before the lifts started and rode all the way down to the top of the gondy.
    eirik hows your back

heard from clayton and matt beck that you got into a hang gliding accident and broke your back again for like the 3rd time

you going to be alirght for the season or what

My back is getting better every day - thanks for asking Phil. I crashed pretty hard so I'm feeling lucky just to be walking, let alone skiing this winter. Maybe this year we'll actually get to put down some lines together.

well at least its finally snowing(at roundhouse/rondevuez cams) supposed to turn to rain soon but cross ur fingers it doesnt

Quote Originally Posted by postman22 View Post
    man that sucks

all the JONGS in early season can easily see how to hike up to harmony and peak by following the huge cat track.

blackcomb early season is epic because to get to the 7th heaven cat track you have to do a bit of hiking in the woods which fools all the tourists.

shit all i remember last year is nov 10 or whenever blackcomb opened getting face shots all day in 7th heaven, skiing pakalolo waist deep and hiking to spankys before glacier ever opened
    yeah, to get to harmony its fukin obvious pikas tarverse is basicaly flat u can fucking ski it the wrong way and get in there with basically no hiking

shhhhhh its a secret

I like bcomb opener due to a wealth of tree stashes. If whis opens first, however, I don't mind as long as I'm skiing!
    Believe.

Id rather see Blackcomb open 1st because theres more lifts to spread everyone out. Blackcomb can run Jersey Cream, Catskinner, Solar Coaster and Excelerator. Whistler is limited to what? Emerald and the village gondola? Maybe Big Red if they make a white ribbon of death down Franzs. It doesnt make much sense to open Whistler 1st. I cant imagine what the line ups at green chair are going to look like. Ill be stoked to ski too, but Blackcomb is a better choice when the upper lifts arent running.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    love 'em both. we're spoiled rotten just to be able to have this discussion.

but if pushed i'd have to say...

pre-season sled sesh up the brandywine.
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

bbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooommmmmmm gawd i miss my sled.

a student budget is going to force me to run on granola not gas this winter

Whistler sucks, open friggen Blackcomb.

If it's a gong show, the best bet for powder will be skinning laps on the musical bumps.

Is it even worth it heading to Whistler/Blackcomb for that weekend? I'll be in Vancouver that weekend anyways, just wondering if I should bother bringing gear...

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Is it even worth it heading to Whistler/Blackcomb for that weekend? I'll be in Vancouver that weekend anyways, just wondering if I should bother bringing gear...
    Yes bother! But get ready to line up at 6am if you want to get a good day's worth in, and bring rock skis. The past three opening weekends have been super fun with plenty of snow to be had.
    Believe.

I guess blackcomb would be way better when high alpine lifts are not running.

now all we need is some fukin snow

Woohoo. Who cares what opens first. Blackcomb definetly has better low elevation stuff and I would prefer it, but just to be making turns is sweet. I may miss the opening though for the first time since I've been out here. I have three films to shoot before the season starts at the end of Novemeber and beginning of Dec.