Page 30 of 148 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    After looking at those pics may have to go get some North Bridger slayage on. Anyone know if Fairy Lake road is going to open soon?

I think it usually opens July 1st. Might actually be some snow left this year.
    Now I would guess that you can get to the gate about 2-3 miles in. I bet you
    could ride your bike most of the way to the lake now.

from the 11th

June pow. Coverage was ridiculous, like late winter still.
    John

Note the new backcountry/boundary designations. Next year is going to be fucking rad.

Yeah, not too mention they say it's going to be a 2 min. bootpack/sidestep from the lift to the ridge!!!
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Quote Originally Posted by bubba-k View Post
    Yeah, not too mention they say it's going to be a 2 min. bootpack/sidestep from the lift to the ridge!!!
    I think all you young guys should stay on the old standard ridge hike above Bridger and leave Slushman's for us older guys! You'll probably get fat and lazy just riding that lift up.

Are the towers up yet?

Last time I talked to my roommate they were working on building forms and such, and they were starting the excavating for the towers. It sounded like they were also being shown the heli equipment so it seems like, towers must be going up soon. Anyways that was about 1.5 weeks ago. Also some interesting info on the new lift name from the Bridger Bowl website:
    In 2006 Bridger Bowl purchased a chair lift from Snowbird Ski Resort for our lift-served terrain expansion to the south. The new Schlasman Lift is due to open December 2008 season and will add 300 acres of "Ridge" terrain to the ski area.

Schlasman Revival

On February 10, 1885, sometime between 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m., a tremendous avalanche ripped down from the top of the Bridger Mountains just north of Saddle Peak. At the base of the steep slope, 4 German coal miners, who had a small nearby claim, were still asleep in their log cabin. The powerful slide buried the mine entrance and destroyed the cabin, killing all four men.

According to the March 19, 1885 Avant Courier, their names were P.J. Schultz, Frank Hassert, James Hassert and P.B. Schlasman. Reports from witnesses said that three of the men appeared to have been killed instantly while they slept, but the body of James Hassert was never found. The recovered bodies were taken away in coffins, but the fourth coffin was left to weather and deteriorate in the bushes along the slide path. All men were bachelors except for P.B. Schlasman, who had a wife and three step-children. The tributary nearby where they mined, was named after him.

As had often occured in those days, many Eurpoean names were phonetically pronounced and spelled. Hence the name “Slushman” began appearing on Bridger Mountain area maps years ago. Commencing with this season’s lift-served terrain expansion into this area, it was deemed appropriate to recount the story that led to this area’s naming and restore “Slushman” to it’s original spelling. Our "new" Schlasman lift is, ironically, a reconditioned 1976 Doppelmayr double chair, formerly known as the “Peruvian” lift, purchased from Snowbird Ski Resort in Utah.

By all accounts, Schlasman and crew were the first documented avalanche related fatalities in the Bridger Mountains. It is sincerely hoped that all backcountry travelers fully appreciate the significance of this historical fact and commerative naming of this lift.

Sources: March 19, 1885 Avant Courier and Bridger Canyon Cookery Gallatin County Pioneer Museum
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Quote Originally Posted by mtcham View Post
    I think all you young guys should stay on the old standard ridge hike above Bridger and leave Slushman's for us older guys! You'll probably get fat and lazy just riding that lift up.

Are the towers up yet?
    Someone's gonna have to go north

Quote Originally Posted by bubba-k View Post
    Someone's gonna have to go north
    And from the looks of the map West too

damn i was hoping for some july bridger dumpage/stokage... i guess i'll have to be content with some expanded terrain dream stokage

Its gonna be reversed flow on pow days. Its seems the north will stay good longer. You guys are gonna have a blast with that. A drawback will be the steeper stuff in Slush will get scraped off and moguled and not get filled in vs with no skier traffic like years past. With a 1 in 10 year winter like the one past it will cross the back of my brain on how good it'll be. As good as anywhere in 48 when its hitting IMO.

Wheres the gate gonna be ? Reverse hike to D route will shave some time. Like 45 minutes. Cool stuff its good to see it finally happened. I'm sure there will be some haters.
    Last edited by Sponge McBragg; 07-26-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Blabity bla, woofity woof.

I've heard plenty of haters of various aspects of the plan, especially the shortened d route hike, however it's my opinion that more open terrain will spread traffic out better, leaving more untouched pow, and hopefully limiting back-ups like the well documented and imfamous cuckoos nest pissing contest...

IF they actually get everything open WHEN IT COUNTS.... That is a big if. Could be just the same old clusterfuck if logistics don't permit them to open the new lift on key powder days.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    IF they actually get everything open WHEN IT COUNTS.... That is a big if. Could be just the same old clusterfuck if logistics don't permit them to open the new lift on key powder days.
    Very true, the only patroller I talked to about this was Griff and he had the same fear, but I still say it can only be better than before in terms of the clusterfuck, maybe even thin out that "nerd-herd" a little

I'm going to try and be as optimistic as possible until the first weekday 6+ incher when the line at bridger is 20 minutes long and you can't go south because its "closed"...
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I'm just thinking the new terrain may be easier to control and keep open than d route, just a thought, but only time will tell.

Looks like they're making access to Truman difficult, that's kind of a bummer.

hmmmm schlaaasmaan's huh? I like it, poor ol miner d00d deserves it I guess...
    weldrFam just bookt for a late sept/early oct visit- preseason stoke outta be gettin revved up, esp if its chilly...
    perhaps some beeeeers at a schlasman attack plannin session then
    carry on

Any info on a northbound bc gate?

Am I the only one that is worried by this new addition? I mean, not only is the ridge now going to be a 2 minute sidestep shitshow, bridger is going to become a new destination for more and more bro brahs. Plus, I liked it when slushmans was out of bounds. That terrain was nice, now those chutes will be bump lines. It looks like last year was probably the last bridger pass I will ever own. I am sick and tired of the endless powder day lift lines in the midweek. Damn fair-weather skiers I know that other places are worse, but I am sick of being rushed. Time to buy a sled and enjoy the mountains without a bunch of 22 year olds hopped up on PBR.
    Last edited by single; 07-31-2008 at 12:32 AM.

^^^^ Who are the ugley old men in your avatard?

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Any info on a northbound bc gate?

Am I the only one that is worried by this new addition? I mean, not only is the ridge now going to be a 2 minute sidestep shitshow, bridger is going to become a new destination for more and more bro brahs. Plus, I liked it when slushmans was out of bounds. That terrain was nice, now those chutes will be bump lines. It looks like last year was probably the last bridger pass I will ever own. I am sick and tired of the endless powder day lift lines in the midweek. Damn fair-weather skiers I know that other places are worse, but I am sick of being rushed. Time to buy a sled and enjoy the mountains without a bunch of 22 year olds hopped up on PBR.
    Well, according to that new map,it looks like it's going to be more or less an open boundary policy to the north and south. D-Route will probably not be open any more than it is now, and the brief sidestep to the ridge means heading down towards the saddle out there on slushman's. I don't like the bro-brah douches any more than you do, but this large expansion can only have a positive effect on crowding. And we have more options to hike north (and south and east!) to get into the backcountry. Get stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    ^^^^ Who are the ugley old men in your avatard?
    I have no idea anymore.

Sir,
    I didnt even notice the little black dots versus the red ones. That sounds pretty good. I am just a bit worried that bridger is going to get closer and closer to becoming a big sky, you know? I guess northbound travel (north of bridger lift) will probably get a whole lot better once everything is going.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I am just a bit worried that bridger is going to get closer and closer to becoming a big sky, you know?
    Ha! I said the same thing just earlier to night to shredsy.
    I am the constant pessimist however. Maybe people will turn in there big lie pass for a bridger one, but it gives so much more terrain. BTW those lift lines aint shit.

I share some of your concerns, single. I don't want it to become Big Sky either. I think things ought to be pretty good for next year, though - snow gods willing.

I was telling Lexi-Bell and lmw that more folks like you guys need to get involved with the bridger bowl association, maybe try to run for the board. They can always use some new blood dedicated to keeping the Bridger experience about the skiing. There's still another whole round of expansion (to the north) that is coming up soon. This is an important time for the association and the board to get more input from people like those of us who are posting stoke in this thread. Anyhow, just my $0.02.

wonder if the sclashmaan's lift will be spinning with Droute still closed, seems like it could be
    will it be open w/o the sidestep being open, or can the sidestep be open w/o Droute being open, just to ski from the top...

doesn't make sense to start from over there for anything N of Droute does it?- the Drouters who love the long walk to the goods now might be bummed I guess, but if the new lift is spinnin it should be carrying peeps who would otherwise be on the trad hike or bridger lift I'd think, so thats gotta spread us out somewhat...

seems like dumping into the gut of slushy's thru jaws area or higher might just mean riding down a bumped up gully after a couple decent turns- or stay up on the meadow and milk the stashes thru the trees'n such, always thought it looks like a bronco-type pitch, maybe without the cross-traffic it'll ski like the top half of bronco all the way, lil bigger spacing, lil more trees, no traverses(maybe) etc...

thought we were making it for a skiseason visit this yr but no- one more season x-training in the midwest then comin back and runnin for the board!psyche
    Last edited by baseWeldr; 07-31-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spacing my blathering