Page 122 of 148 FirstFirst ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 3683
    Bring hiking boots, you'll probably have to climb over 4000' of bare ground.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Any suggestions for areas near there that might not have so much dirt vert?
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

I wouldn't take it for granted that it's "Just Bridger" this early season. The pathetic early storms have left us with some real crap up there this year, especially in the deeper areas you'll actually want to ski when it starts snowing. Could be really different than the last couple early seasons.

http://mtavalanche.com/current

There is such a thing as too stoked, lets not forget the lessons of Little Cottonwood Canyon 11/13/11 when the snow really hits:

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/services/avalanchelist
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

this was up in the 3rd finger from this past weekend. be careful boys. the snowpack is off to a shitty start

Quote Originally Posted by inthemtns View Post
    Any suggestions for areas near there that might not have so much dirt vert?
    Pretty much everything in the 'valley has a ton of approach to it. Plus with the crazy winds we've been having and the same shitty base, I'd be weary of anything over there right now.

That's impressive Soft Booter, looks like it went wall to wall.

Goddamn! That video was sick. I'll hopefully be making it up there a few times this winter. My best day last season was on Bridger...I'm fully hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    That's impressive Soft Booter, looks like it went wall to wall.
    Yikes. Avy report makes it sound like this is the regional conditions all over, too. Rethinking Blackmore plans for Friday now. Has anyone been up in that area to confirm?

Thanks for posting up that little vid Softbooter. Good reminder that shit is going to be fucked for a while. This is our base people, glad I own skate skis and a sled, the touring is gonna be fucked for a looong time.

Emigrant peak is a great place to go off yourself right now if you want to pound the dirt to get to snow (you more than likely will get cheese gratered through rock on the available snow that will slide when you look at it). Sorry to be a debbie downer, but such is life with a continental snowpack.

Makes sense ... LOTS of wind loading, plenty of freeze-thaw cycles and dry air. All pretty much makes for some crap ass skiing. It looks like WROD for the foreseeable future at Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    It looks like WROD for the foreseeable future at Big Sky.
    Yup. Mighty thin up there right now. Blowing snow like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Emigrant peak is a great place to go off yourself right now if you want to pound the dirt to get to snow (you more than likely will get cheese gratered through rock on the available snow that will slide when you look at it). Sorry to be a debbie downer, but such is life with a continental snowpack.
    Yeah, we rethought the plan when we saw the storm come in thick and windy. We rethought it even more when we saw the approach from the highway. I'm sure if we had gone for it we would have rethought it even further when we got to the cheese graters. We decided to get a head start the beer at the bar. Thanks for the input and sound advice.

Thanks also for the third finger video. I'm sending to everyone I know.
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

BUMP

Soft Booter - great to see your vid from the Fingers shared in today's GNFAC forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by igBand View Post
    BUMP

Soft Booter - great to see your vid from the Fingers shared in today's GNFAC forecast.
    oh that's not my vid. the avalanche guys had posted this video monday on facebook. I was just passing it along

Thumbs down

Having seen alot of bullshit weather forecasts in this area, yesterday and last night has to be the all time biggest and most thouroughly complete bullshit weather forecast of all time.

What do the government weather nerds do, interpret weather maps while high on mushrooms?

11-16 inches? Winter storm warning for all elevations? 100% chance? = Zero credibility.

Thanks for getting our hopes up, fools. I mean, days in advance is one thing but fuckin-a, how can you be so wrong so close to the predicted event?
    Last edited by tone capone; 11-19-2011 at 01:41 PM.

quite a lil beatdown in the ol catgriz, bet downtown's a mess with the w00t w00t nukin in missoulians prob wantin 2 rub it in, amateur nite like a sunny 12" saturday - stay the fuck away and go where the crowd doesn't /unofficial bridger...

spicy snowpack cookin up, b happy to rail around the wrod's and the hardpack inbounds crossfit lines, I could use some downhill hrs logged anyway & Nfacing liftserved classics dont scare me for awhile...

thx4sharin your viddy there jupski it's makin the rounds on the fb, goodstuff
    another friend's view of bb/AK last yr...

^ Nice, some classic BB skiin' in there for sure. Turk down the liftline and the long turns out south were faves for me.

Drove up to Bridger on Thanksgiving. It was a balmy 48 degrees in the middle of the afternoon. It's full on dirt up there. Well ... not ALL dirt, but it is pretty bony. We need some serious nukage for Bridger to open next week.

If we get a couple millimeters to freshen up the WROD down at Big Sky, I'll be stoked and I'll be there. WOO HOO.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    If we get a couple millimeters to freshen up the WROD down at Big Sky, I'll be stoked and I'll be there. WOO HOO.
    And for swifty to open. Sounds like its gearbox ate itself and the lift ran backward last week. Not good ...

first time I got a frequent skier card in years, and this lack of snow is shitty. I must of jinxed it, haha. oh well, I'm going fishing tomorrow. Going to try to stick another pig brown before it's too cold to fish.

looks like they're trying to psych us out again with this weather report. please god let it be true

http://www.kbzk.com/news/strong-paci...-in-wednesday/

Big sky was terrible today, not worth driving from Bozeman until more of it opens up.

On the upside, sounds like one medium-sized storm will give them enough base to open a significant chunk of the mountain. Hopefully we get that on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    And for swifty to open. Sounds like its gearbox ate itself and the lift ran backward last week. Not good ...
    Ugh. That's not good at all. Where'd you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by deft_funk View Post
    Big sky was terrible today, not worth driving from Bozeman until more of it opens up.

On the upside, sounds like one medium-sized storm will give them enough base to open a significant chunk of the mountain. Hopefully we get that on Wednesday.
    Didn't really think it would be worth it...but from what I've seen up there one good storm will open up a TON of terrain. Nothing off the peak for a while but most of the lower mountain just needs some thick base put down and it'll be good to go. Here's hoping. Management wanted to open with Swifty and the Bowl so they must have thought they were at least close. Hopefully Wednesday pushes us over the edge there.

Quote Originally Posted by NOAA
    Wednesday: Snow. Temperature falling to around 13 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -4. Northwest wind between 14 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -14. North northeast wind between 14 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible

Going to try to stick another pig brown before it's too cold to fish.
    pics please!

Edit: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...l-Browns/page5

Never mind, good God, those are hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTurn View Post
    Ugh. That's not good at all. Where'd you hear that?
    Reliable sources ... a co-worker is married to one of the Pro Patrol. This same girl also knows the head lift mechanic. Apparently, he's quite the lift ninja, but gear boxes aren't cheap and Boyne isn't known for ponying up cash. My local shop also confirmed the gear box deal last night.

I also understand that Swifty's terrain was all money and ready to go. But a FUBAR'd lift prevented the opening. So yah ... more snow = more goods. I'm hoping that this Wednesday Winter Weather Advisory delivers some goods and isn't just another scunty cock tease like the last few ...