Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Haven’t followed GAS closely, is it internally funded by the Aquilini’s? Always curious where the capital will come from... I guess with GAS there’s valuable real estate and actual people that will buy it due to location (regardless of skiing quality).
    Aquilini's and Gaglardi's I believe...think public in Squamish is coming around since Vail's pretty much priced out a lot of family's and given Whistler's busy-ness generally...GAS has smartly refocused to a more regional product. Still not sure why Whistler is so threatened, as a ski product it won't ever come close to competing, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    Aquilini's and Gaglardi's I believe...think public in Squamish is coming around since Vail's pretty much priced out a lot of family's and given Whistler's busy-ness generally...GAS has smartly refocused to a more regional product. Still not sure why Whistler is so threatened, as a ski product it won't ever come close to competing, imo.
    Is this the project you guys are referring today? I’m assuming that the terrain and/or elevation can’t compete with Whistler?

http://www.vancourier.com/real-estat...gas-1.23337937

Jumbo Glacier Resort

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post
    I believe that would be Revy, so 11 years ago. Before that Kicking Horse in 2000 maybe? There may have been something else in the interim but I don't think so. And while KH was an Oberti project (actually his only successful ski area), it was backed by once in a lifetime rock solid funding from Ballast Nedam that even they weren't willing to put behind an already stagnant JGR. He didn't get anywhere before, and he hasn't gotten anywhere since.

I actually have a lot of respect for the man's ideas, and I think he does have a fundamental appreciation for these places that is kind of admirable, even if I don't agree with his vision personally. I don't, however, think he has a particularly firm grasp on the reality of what he's trying to do in Jumbo.
    Off topic but interesting fact:

Ballast Nedam had to build another project in Canada in order to secure their bid for the Confederation Bridge. That project was KH.

Squamish potentially getting closer?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/sk...built-whistler

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Squamish potentially getting closer?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/sk...built-whistler
    The guys backing this new resort are Aquillini who owns the NHL Canucks and Gaglardi who owns the NHL Dallas Stars and also owns Revelstoke Mountain Resort. So it would seem that the $$ is there, unlike Jumbo or Valemont. Aso unlike Jumbo and Valemont, Garibaldi has 1.5 million people living less than 1 hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Is this the project you guys are referring today? I’m assuming that the terrain and/or elevation can’t compete with Whistler?

http://www.vancourier.com/real-estat...gas-1.23337937

Most people don't need the terrain of Whistler and the article says that it's base area is higher and on average receives more snow. the location must be more attractive to people in Vancouver no?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

there's no new info in that article.

It looks like another cypress? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    The guys backing this new resort are Aquillini who owns the NHL Canucks and Gaglardi who owns the NHL Dallas Stars and also owns Revelstoke Mountain Resort. So it would seem that the $$ is there, unlike Jumbo or Valemont. Aso unlike Jumbo and Valemont, Garibaldi has 1.5 million people living less than 1 hour away.
    They must have kissed and made up since they were suing each other over the Canucks back when it was purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Seems like a higher base than Cypress and significantly more vertical. But most interesting from my (perhaps outlying) perspective is that this would be a ridiculous access point for backcountry objectives including Atwell Peak and all kinds of radness between Brohm, Mamquam, and the first half of the McBride Traverse.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    from the Article:

"Phase One of the project build-out would create 5,946 beds, while the fourth and final phase would grow the resort into 21,920 beds"

Don't think Cypress really works as a Real Estate ploy. (meant play - but I am not going to correct it).

This is just far enough from Van to make the having a ski-in, ski-out there seem like a good idea.

[QUOTE=brraaap802;5651606]They must have kissed and made up since they were suing each other over the Canucks back when it was purchased.[/QUOTE

I also find this partnership a bit strange but there was a third guy in the Canuck purchase deal that was in with Gaglardi and he was a bit of a loose cannon blabbermouth kinda guy, so perhaps he was the reason Aquillini did a separate deal to purchase the Canucks without Gaglardi and the 3rd partner.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    from the Article:

"Phase One of the project build-out would create 5,946 beds, while the fourth and final phase would grow the resort into 21,920 beds"

Don't think Cypress really works as a Real Estate ploy. (meant play - but I am not going to correct it).

This is just far enough from Van to make the having a ski-in, ski-out there seem like a good idea.
    Fuck it I'll buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    Seems like a higher base than Cypress and significantly more vertical. But most interesting from my (perhaps outlying) perspective is that this would be a ridiculous access point for backcountry objectives including Atwell Peak and all kinds of radness between Brohm, Mamquam, and the first half of the McBride Traverse.
    Work with a coupla Squamish based ski veterans and confirmed; will be an awesome backcountry access point...the phrase 'game changer' was spouted a few times during the brief convo.
    Master of mediocrity.

Wasn't it a good access point already if you have a snowmobile?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Not all skiers are rich.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Snowmobile = rich ????

News to me. Guess all us motivated dirt bags are rich. Must be in life and not money.

Hasn't Vancouver experienced a huge boom in population and hasn't Whistler has been massively over crowded? This is one of the few Canadian ski area developments that actually makes sense IMO.

We need some stuff like this in the Central Cascades...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    edit; awesome lift accessed backcountry point.
    Master of mediocrity.

Looks like the the Squamish F'N is for and Vail is against (well WB was against anyway):

That's good enough for me - build baby build!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle28468568/

This quote from WB was hilarious:
    "[Garabaldi at Squamish] would damage B.C.'s reputation and undermine its success as a world-class ski destination," the letter said"

I wonder if G@S will let the plebes in with their paper-bag lunches,? -

Surely it will go on Ikon
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Surely it will go on Ikon
    I like the way you think
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

is this the main jumbo thread? i don't remember anymore...

anyway:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...sion-1.5238273

Meh, that last mumbo jumbo paragraph is definitely some religioulus enviro hopeful BS and not reality based material.
    dirtbag, not a dentist