Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Jumbo Glacier Resort

does anyone know anything about the proposed jumbo glacier resort near invermere b.c.
    i know there is alot of conterversy about a large ski resort being built in that area but i hope it goes through

ive heard of it, supposed to be year round skiing on glaciers, veryvery large, i guess would be sick but i am not a local and don't know what negatives could possibly be, supposed to be just past panorama
    http://www.jumboglacierresort.com/
    www.keepitwild.ca/
    those sites should give u some kind of insight

don't think it will happen, just based on the economics of it.

too far from international airport

not much local support

50+ km of roads to build

ski industry is all fighting for the same slice of pie (and is that declining?)

to drive from calgary to Jumbo you have to go past 5-7 other resorts, too many closer options.

I just don't think that it is needed, That being said, as a skier, I like to have the ability to ski year round.

falls into the same boat as revelstoke, valemont, fernie part 2, etc.

I thought that the idea was that this was the long run global warming solution to whistler/Banff after the existing resorts become year round golf resorts.

Yeah, agreed Mtnlion,

but I thought that revelstoke was actually a go? I saw they cut some new trails and an access road, but who knows eh.

any word on this? last update nov 15 2010
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

20 year approval process?

http://www.scribd.com/collections/32...ort-Chronology

and it looks like it is moving forward....glacially

http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_...117547943.html
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

would be great to have lift access to year round skiing in canada eh. hope it pans out , could be good. They are very ambitious however .
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

In 5 years not much has changed...

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

not much local support

50+ km of roads to build

to drive from calgary to Jumbo you have to go past 5-7 other resorts, too many closer options.
    ... but now you can add to the list the fact that BC's economy is in the shitter along with the double dip recession looming on the horizon. I call it dead in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    would be great to have lift access to year round skiing in canada eh.
    Not really. It's always there, just have to walk a couple of hours.

wow.....looks like whole family fun too. Get it while its "hot". Them glaciers are melting.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Oberto Oberti seems like he doesn't want to let this dream die. I've been in there in winter and it's rad. However, no need for a resort there when Iceorama is just down the road.

B.C.'s newest resort, Revelstoke Mountain Resort after 4 or 5 years is not making money and is pretty desperate to sell real estate. Kicking Horse after 10 or 12 years is also not making a profit. B.C. doesn't need more resorts, it needs more skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

not much local support

50+ km of roads to build

I just don't think that it is needed, That being said, as a skier, I like to have the ability to ski year round.

falls into the same boat as revelstoke, valemont, fernie part 2, etc.
    I've never heard about a Valemount pipe dream resort, any background on that one? And yep, 5 years later it only looks worse. Unless skier visits (specifically destination visits) increase, there is no way this would make any economic sense.

They would never make any money , but i would spend some money there hands down.

How many mega-resorts can BC sustain? Kicking Horse and RMR started up in the past decade, Fernie has undergone a huge expansion. Then you have Panorama, Sun Peaks, Big White and Silver Star going after the family crowd. Whistler, of course, is the big kahuna of them all.

Meanwhile, Jumbo is still on the table, though I can't see it getting off the ground in this economic climate. IMO, they would have had to have started around when Revy did to get the real estate sales needed. Then there's the Garibaldi resort near Squamish that some investors are trying to get off the ground.

The problem is, unless you keep your footprint really small, you can't build these resorts without selling lots of over-priced real estate, and there's not enough rich people with access to easy money these days to support them all.

Canoe Mtn Resort is still teechnically in the works but timelines for further development are anyone's guess. So far there is just a bit of road punched in and a cable line cut up the slope for the gondola - but this was already 5+(?)yrs ago
    http://www.canoemountainresorts.com/index.html
    Lots of politics involved, not the least of which is the fact that Mike Weigele just south of the proposal also has his own ideas for a resort in Blue River. Add that to the issues stated by mtnlion, and I doubt anything will move on this project anytime soon.

That canoe site cracks me up.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Ya, some pretty bold and misleading statements in there for sure. Besides all the talk as if it is already in operation

Some fantastic backcountry, heli and catskiing out of Valemount, though. Just got to wade through all the AB slednecks that swarm the area - LOL

build it and they will come ...won't they ?

the local hill in Smithers put a new cable/some seatpad/fixed the motor/painted the chair summer of 2008 and offered lots for sale, of course the big 2008 RE meltdown in the US was fall , last I heard there were 9 firm commitments out of 80 lots ... at least the chair runs & looks GREAT

The 1st nations are against Jumbo which carries some clout when they are still without a land claim and in negotiations, Gordo wanted settled land claims maybe Christy Clark doesnt care ?

Ms Clark is just as desiring of settling those land claims, but she has bigger fish to fry before the next year's election call (healthcare & education, and most of the BCGEU/PEA contracts expire next spring). Not to mention Gordo's last act to re-org half the dirt ministries threw a wrench into all the 'New Relations' work towards any settlement negotiation to date, and effectively stalled any on-the-ground consulation for current tenure applications.

Another aspect of the Jumbo development is power supply. It's a ways off the main grid for a development of that scale, so much of the development includes independent power projects on many of the surrounding little rivers and large creeks (and these are independant of the resort development land application). Some have already been issued, but some are still in the application stage - with all the hoopla that goes with that. All this even before a blade hits the earth.

From what my father in law tells me (Valemount resident), they did a plan for a ski resort on a different mountain across the valley from the Canoe site. The business plan did not get far because they were not allowed to include Edmonton as a potential market, although it's only an hour past Jasper. The Canoe Mountain Gondola is a whole different pipe dream based more on hot springs and a golf course.

I think that was called the Westridge Ski Destination and Area from a 2004 Sustainable Resource Management Plan.
    http://www.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/slrp/srmp/...und/index.html

Ya, that one ended real quick, but I wasn't aware of the exact reasons behind it. There's some overlapping recreation tenure there as well, but I've no idea of how that may have impacted the business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by payote View Post
    From what my father in law tells me (Valemount resident), they did a plan for a ski resort on a different mountain across the valley from the Canoe site. The business plan did not get far because they were not allowed to include Edmonton as a potential market, although it's only an hour past Jasper.
    I think you will find Edmonchuk is 4hrs east of jasper and valemont is > one hr from jasper because you gotta head 20 min south off of hy 16, so besides yer edmontonian having to drive past Marmot, its probably almost 5hrs to the closest big market

Ms clark will certainly have her hands full,lovely cleavage tho

Today I heard there are 4000 people registered to speak on the enbridge proposal, I am guessing they will be in the "against" camp