Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ^^Ya but they celebrate in Jasper when Marmot hits a 100cm base. And rock skis are all you'll ever need there.

But it's true Valemount is pretty far from bigger towns and cities. Those from edmonton can go to Banff in 4 hours as well.

Mike Wiegle's dream in Valemont is not going to fly. Just look at the terrain he's working with and who is going to be his clientele?

that area down thru blue river to Kamy is far from major markets and an airport

the local airport here is 1/2 an hour from the top of the ski hill so you could be in your house before you could drive to whistler from the airport in Vancover but it costs 500-600$ to fly in ...nobody bought it

I have skied David Henry Lodge a couple of times just a short chopper ride out of Valemont nice snow

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    Mike Wiegle's dream in Valemont is not going to fly. Just look at the terrain he's working with and who is going to be his clientele?
    As far as I know, M.Wiegele is not involved in any proposed development in Valemount; if anything, with his current Heli skiing just south in Blue River, he is in direct competition with those proposals. His dream is the development of the 8 Peaks proposal. http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/slrp/s.../plan/tor.html, with the most current plan to bring lift service to Saddle Mtn for the high avy days, and less experienced clientele.
    ATM his clientele is largely from the "1%", and they are often limo serviced to Blue River from Kamloops. I hear that he seldom has problem filling his birds.

Wow, never heard about Canoe or this Wiegle project, always interesting to see some crazy pipe dreams, but if people never tried, projects would never happen. Highly doubt any of this stuff will ever get off the ground (including Jumbo) unless destination skier visits shoot up rapidly, which they are not.

Canoe fizzled so quick it's not surprising that its not well known

The best part about the Canoe website is how it makes it sound like it's all been built. If there was a direct road from Revelstoke to Valemount I'd give it a go based on their site.

This is the promoter of the resort - http://www.sunriseint.com/

Fundraising activities for Canoe have been non-existent since 2008. Not even spam emails!

Not surprising since Sunrise's last filings as a public company were around 2008. Suu.a on the CDNX but listing is dormant

and the master plan from 2003 - at least it was N-facing rocky slopes

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    The best part about the Canoe website is how it makes it sound like it's all been built. If there was a direct road from Revelstoke to Valemount I'd give it a go based on their site.
    Funny you mention a road from Revelstoke - one of the broken promises from when Mica dam was put in was a road from Valemount to Revy along the west shore of Kinbasket Lk (to make up for the loss of valley bottom access when Big Bend on the old Hwy 1 was flooded). The forestry roads from both ends are only about 5km apart, but to make it highway grade would involve a lot of blasting (and other considerations). Still a sore point with the old locals in the watering holes of both Valemount and McBride.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I've never heard about a Valemount pipe dream resort, any background on that one? And yep, 5 years later it only looks worse. Unless skier visits (specifically destination visits) increase, there is no way this would make any economic sense.

None of this shit (Canoe, Jumbo, any other resort like revy) has anything at all to do with skier visits. The dreams are built on condo and house sales. And the up and coming domographic ain't funded like the one that is currently (and in the past 10 years)retiring and buying rec property.

Although there has been rumors regarding ski terrain development in the valemount area... exactly what and where has yet to be seen.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

What's the highest lift in BC? Most are just scratching 7k. I think KH touches 8k. It would be nice to have lift access up to 11k somewhere in BC.

top of SSV and LL are just under 9. I would think fortress (RIP) would be about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    I thought that the idea was that this was the long run global warming solution to whistler/Banff after the existing resorts become year round golf resorts.
    No no, that is what the Bike parks are for...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    None of this shit (Canoe, Jumbo, any other resort like revy) has anything at all to do with skier visits. The dreams are built on condo and house sales. And the up and coming domographic ain't funded like the one that is currently (and in the past 10 years)retiring and buying rec property.

Although there has been rumors regarding ski terrain development in the valemount area... exactly what and where has yet to be seen.
    Yep, I think the real estate pump n dump scheme got exposed when Revelstoke was caught with their pants down in the 08 recession. Not to mention Kicking Horse having trouble selling their phases even 10 years down the road. Investors would be insane to think they could sell enough in harder to access places.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Yep, I think the real estate pump n dump scheme got exposed when Revelstoke was caught with their pants down in the 08 recession. Not to mention Kicking Horse having trouble selling their phases even 10 years down the road. Investors would be insane to think they could sell enough in harder to access places.
    Even without the 08 recession Revy would be in trouble. Real estate sales pay for infrastructure like
    lifts, sewers, roads, etc. but skier visits pay for on going expenses like fuel, wages, taxes etc and Revy does not have a large enough population to get close to the 300k or so skier visits needed to sustain a ski resort and the closest cities to Revy and Kicking Horse already support other resorts.

From the pov of a local, Jumbo will probably be delayed until it dies, unfortunatly. For you Jumbo wild bitches,
    THERES NO FUCKING GRIZZLY BEARS LIVING ON THE GLACIER. anywhere. these people protest in the middle of all these clear-cuts and don't find it ironic. If you are a bc wildlife activist:

SAVE THE FLATHEAD VALLEY!!!!! americans too

This has the largest concentraction of grizzlies in north america. And there is devastating logging and mining going on there right now.

anyways, theres to much extra real estate in the columbia valley, thanks to the dumbasses and greedy people. I live right beside dozens of shitty condos and a rotting, unfinished hotel. It's a nice place though. And panorama is cool, u guys just don't know the spots. What this valley could use is more mountaineering. Theres lots of mountains. More routes, guides, trails, cabins and KEEN people would be cool. Less of those lazy snowmobiling motherfuckers.

if anybodys around this winter and wants to go..........
    redstreak would be really good.

If Jumbo ever did get off the ground, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I think it was be awesome. something like 1500 Vert all year round and some ridiculous lift accessed all winter. Yah I ski tour my ass off and use the sled for access already but who doesn't like a little supreme lift access.

Looks like this is about to be approved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-approval.html

Maybe it makes no economic sense, but it sure peaks my interest. I have read all about it before, but I forgot most of it and I am looking for someone to make it easy for me and others to get up to speed on the particulars of the area. What kind of elevations, snowfall, temperatures, etc. does Jumbo Glacier have?

I'm curious about summer skiing there now. Gotta check into accessing it...

Jaysus people want to try something like this AGAIN?

Well, if they plan the lifts right, maybe it would actually be worth it? I know people that have done summer training up there and loved it, so who knows. Globe article here.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

relevant? http://www.jumboglacierresort.com/do...asterplan.html

i, for one, would love to buy a lot right there, in the big shadow of the mountain, where the sun don't shine in the afternoon, and the cool breeze... well, you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post

i, for one, would love to buy a lot right there, in the big shadow of the mountain, where the sun don't shine in the afternoon, and the cool breeze... well, you get the point.
    Remember Grassi Heights in the Three Sisters Development in Canmore? Shaded so it was cold even in summer. Initial selling price 240k - spiked to 320k for a year or so. Dropped to 150k. Only recently came back to 220k - so just a "small loss" if you ignore 12 years of inflation. Is there enough dumb money out there to bend over and take it up the ass without lube or even a thank-you smack?

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post

I would have bought, but it seems as though they are not putting heli pads on the chalet lots. Deal breaker right there.

and I don't see any golf courses in their concept renderings (available on the ftp site they conveniently give the password to on the above page).

of course they could always paint parts of the glacier green and use that as a golf course.

1700m vertical from the top of Jumbo Mtn to the resort bottom, but it seems like you can't link them into a single run -- the lift to the top of Jumbo Mtn doesn't seem to have a ski run provided below it, so it's probably gnarly gnar like the stuff we like, only south-facing

edit: LeeLau, I don't know about the three sisters, but people were planning a development at Exshaw, right next to the cement factories, and others were seriously considering buying there as a "cheap alternative" to Canmore. ahh, 2008