Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Speaking of new resorts...dribs and drabs of Jumbo stuff but where the hell is Valemount at? That's the one that should be built. Getting a bit concerned about the lack of updates. Anyone got any beta? Where r we at with it?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Speaking of new resorts...dribs and drabs of Jumbo stuff but where the hell is Valemount at? That's the one that should be built. Getting a bit concerned about the lack of updates. Anyone got any beta? Where r we at with it?
    ‘Since getting Provincial approval last year, the project has been awaiting the finalization of funding. The investment firm for the construction phase is MM Realty International a company headed by Greg Marchant. Hunter Milbourne is also involved. Both men are real estate developers based in Toronto.

With things continuing on track, construction contracts could go out by the end of this summer and construction commence next spring, Tommaso said, with a hopeful opening date of December 2020 or early 2021.’
    https://www.therockymountaingoat.com...-spokesperson/

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    The old infrastructure that both revie and kh had was the existing permitting in place.
    But the local hill at Revie only had tenure over the very lower mountain. I doubt whether getting the entire tenure was helped that much by just having a small piece of it very close to town.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Actually - I think it would help a lot. Ime - getting an expanded tenure is far easier than getting an entirely new one. Plus the local nimbys are already accustomed to the use.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    But the local hill at Revie only had tenure over the very lower mountain. I doubt whether getting the entire tenure was helped that much by just having a small piece of it very close to town.
    The cat skiing they were running out of there didn't have tenure?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Likely different tenure. Most ski hills have a Controlled Recreation Area tenure that contains exclusions regarding public recreation use. Most cat skiing and heli skiing tenures I am familiar with do not contain those exclusions. Also, those cat and heli tenures can’t overlap with a CRA (but can have other independent agreements or MOUs with the CRA holder for through access).

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    The alpine cat skiing was a different tenure as the hill was a community thing. They got along as from the cat OP you skied down to hill lodge at the end of the day.

Of course local support is very important maybe the most critical. But having a local hill and then buying out the community I don't think is that big of an advantage. In the first case the community has something that some don't want to give up ( unless tried of running it) , in the second case there is nothing to begin with. I guess with the hill already being there the usage issues if there were any would already be decided.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    ‘Since getting Provincial approval last year, the project has been awaiting the finalization of funding. The investment firm for the construction phase is MM Realty International a company headed by Greg Marchant. Hunter Milbourne is also involved. Both men are real estate developers based in Toronto.
    Wonder whether M and M are actually funding the development or whether they are (more likely) acting as agents looking to attract the real investment needed to build more than a couple of building foundations?

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Wonder whether M and M are actually funding the development or whether they are (more likely) acting as agents looking to attract the real investment needed to build more than a couple of building foundations?
    IMO it would be great to see this project move forward but it really is hard not to be skeptical, for many reasons.

Although from what i have heard about real estate prices in Valemount of late, there are some believers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

speculation dude ... its why smithers is built on a swamp
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Interesting court judgement on Jumbo. I hadn’t seen that.

The size of the Jumbo development and the location, I just don’t see how it can work. Even with improving the roads, it is another 40 minutes from Panorama, which is 3 1/2 hours from Calgary. I think you can get a 737 currently into Cranbrook Airport, but that is close to a two hour drive to Jumbo’s location. When finished, I think the airport should be good for 757’s.

Jumbo’s vision is to be a European style resort. In Europe, they have over 500MM people within 3 hours of those resorts. I have made the point before, but with Revy and KH already suffering in the area, it will be difficult to get folks to drive the extra distance to go to a land locked area with resort only amenities. Whistler benefits as well from significant day traffic from Vancouver.

Selfishly, it will take time to get accommodations built there, so my place on Panorama May catch a small bid in the interim after they get lift access done. But I am not holding out hope.
    Using Tapatalk

Jumbo Glacier Resort

^^^ Beyond the litany of hurdles (environmental, First Nations, access etc.). The real issue is that there is seemingly no clientele for any new mega resort. Have you seen what ski in / out condos are going for at Kicking Horse?

The only possible angle that makes Valemount and Jumbo viable from a clientele perspective is that the continued march of climate change continues to close lower elevation and lower latitude areas and skiers are forced to look elsewhere for their turns.

I hear ya A.P....but with Valemount; dunno about the numbers but i'm suspecting the following would contribute at least a slow steady drip of clients:

Edmonton: pass Jasper and head to b.c. for weekends skiing real b.c. pow and big vert.

P.G./Quesnel/Smithers/Terrace/etc.... : A legit big mountain ski experience in lieu of our just fine but a bit small local hillz? Don't know about you but Shames and Smithers, fine as they are, just leave a guy wanting ... for the kinda high prices of the daypasses and seasons passes....just a few more thousand vertical feet serviced by high speed lifts pleeze. IMHO.

Besides the self mobile, I can totally see the opening of a new market of the odd special event package deal all inclusive via rent a van/bus and pick up the rupert/kitimat/terrace/smithers folks for long weekends at Valemount to ski the Whistler of the north.

Blue River: micro drip of Wiegele heliski employees on days off lookin' to ski lift served on a big hill. Shorter drive than Sun Peaks/Harper. When verking at Weigele's we used to head to Valemount for evening sessions at the Loose Moose pub; soft spot in me heart for that place.

Other than that, no clue about the draw Valemount would have for guests from afar.
    Master of mediocrity.

Don’t forget the slednecks. A nice portion of the Valemount master plan will also cater to other snow sports pursuits, so the draw is not just for skiers/boarders.

I sure hope you guys are right on the Valemount front. It would be great to have a big mountain resort in our neck of the woods. Year round skiing.,,, yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    ^^^ Beyond the litany of hurdles (environmental, First Nations, access etc.). The real issue is that there is seemingly no clientele for any new mega resort. Have you seen what ski in / out condos are going for at Kicking Horse?
    $300cdn/Sf. That’s less than cost.

The government would also need to build a new $100 million airport for any hope at all.

I don’t see this place ever in the black, even
    with climate change.

One other thing to consider on Valemount is the summer traffic. That alone should float winter. We see over 2 million visitors each year in Jasper and we are only 1 and a bit hours away. Some of those already drive through the area and many could be convinced to stop by especially the euro's in rental motorhomes.

Jumbo Glacier Resort

In Jasper at Loulou’s as I write this and the motorhome scene is in full effect. Again, i hope you are right but i remain skeptical. When you can grab a condo at KH for under 200 and the slopes are relatively empty (at least every time I’ve been there) that tells me that the ski resort development math just isn’t adding up. Sorry to be a naysayer, and i hope i am wrong but i am with Shred on this one.

There is certainly a significant risk for early investment into Valemount for many reasons. Land speculation around the town has already exceeded my threshold, but living where I do I have other options. My personal hope is that the development of the Premier Range into a year round development similar to some towns in the Alps, next to a national park like Jasper, will offset the negatives like distance to large centres and shrinking NA ski markets.
    That said, I have little direct skin in this venture, and I am banking on other’s money to see it move forward.

It was raining and rather chilly as I drove by the Valemount turn off today. And as if by omen the rain clouds parted here and there to reveal fresh snow up high. It is a very cool area. What an epic place that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    It was raining and rather chilly as I drove by the Valemount turn off today. And as if by omen the rain clouds parted here and there to reveal fresh snow up high. It is a very cool area. What an epic place that would be.

Well there you go A.P.: imagine if the resort were open right now. Instead of driving by oggling at the scenery and lusting longingly for pow turns up high, you'd take that left turn at tete jaune, head to the hill and be shralping lift served freshies up on the glaciers in less than an hour.

Drive through august pow skiing.

Go Valemount!
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Good. Hopefully they'll deep six the Garibaldi at Squamish idea next.
    Bumping this up since I saw Garibaldi is back in the news again. Developers got an environmental assessment certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Bumping this up since I saw Garibaldi is back in the news again. Developers got an environmental assessment certificate.
    they still have a bunch of EAO conditions/requirements they need to meet to get their development approved, they've asked for an extension of the deadline

Not having the support of Squamish and Whistler has to hurt them. Their plan is very advanced though. Good snowmobiling back there!

Haven’t followed GAS closely, is it internally funded by the Aquilini’s? Always curious where the capital will come from... I guess with GAS there’s valuable real estate and actual people that will buy it due to location (regardless of skiing quality).