Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Not certain how much of Jumbo development is dependent on Oberti's funding, but with the creation of the resort municipality without any tax base (no residents, etc), I suspect at least some of the investment is now subsidized by the taxpayers of BC. I could be wrong, but with this much manipulation between the developer and government, I don't have much faith in the account books.
    This is very true. The province was always going to pay for the road.

Perhaps if Petronas if they decide they can't make money on LNG Oberti will try and get them to invest ;-)

Someone asked why should we care about growing the sport, well if people keep building giant mega resorts it should be a concern for sure. How many new resorts have been built in the last 20 years and how are they doing financially? As a skier that has spent a ridiculous amount of time fucking off in the mountains I am worried that we are developing too much with no real need to do so. These places are beautiful and I hate to see them built up so only the wealthiest of everyone can enjoy. Don't get me wrong, if Jumbo happens and it's as sick as it might be and I have money I might go there for a vacation but those of us posting here in TGR are a small number of folks that give a shit about rad skiing on steep terrain. The majority is more than happy going to Vail, Breck, or Keystone for a family vacation. At first the idea of a new "jumbo" resort accessing sick terrain sounds great but if it's not really sustainable should it actually happen? I don't know. Maybe it will work, maybe not. Either way the corporate machine needs to be questioned. As a mountain loving person I think we are obligated to question this. There are plenty of ski areas now, do we really need more? Is there enough demand for this development? Sure there are logging and ming ops in these areas but shit, we all live in houses and enjoy our heat/electricity but do we really need another mega ski resort? I'm not so sure we do.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Someone asked why should we care about growing the sport, well if people keep building giant mega resorts it should be a concern for sure. How many new resorts have been built in the last 20 years and how are they doing financially? As a skier that has spent a ridiculous amount of time fucking off in the mountains I am worried that we are developing too much with no real need to do so. These places are beautiful and I hate to see them built up so only the wealthiest of everyone can enjoy. Don't get me wrong, if Jumbo happens and it's as sick as it might be and I have money I might go there for a vacation but those of us posting here in TGR are a small number of folks that give a shit about rad skiing on steep terrain. The majority is more than happy going to Vail, Breck, or Keystone for a family vacation. At first the idea of a new "jumbo" resort accessing sick terrain sounds great but if it's not really sustainable should it actually happen? I don't know. Maybe it will work, maybe not. Either way the corporate machine needs to be questioned. As a mountain loving person I think we are obligated to question this. There are plenty of ski areas now, do we really need more? Is there enough demand for this development? Sure there are logging and ming ops in these areas but shit, we all live in houses and enjoy our heat/electricity but do we really need another mega ski resort? I'm not so sure we do.
    Especially given the remote location, it's hard to imagine there's much "need" for it, especially in a largely stagnant market. However, if they could somehow cater to these guys below in some capacity (ten fastest-growing markets of last year), there might be a case:

Would be curious to hear from Revy mags from their perspective watching that show come to town, and how it's fared so far...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Hugh Conway Guest
    You guys banned the best* commentator on Revelstoke - john_c

* or at least one of the funniest not beholden ones. the rest of the commentary's been the usual bullshit.

yeah johnc said it the way it was. I don't live in revy but spend a bit of time there. My take is that locals that ski like the gondola but don't care about the rest. Real estate has never been developed to the extent it was promoted. The hill went broke once already but I think their skier visits are up a bit more in the last couple years. Can't see it ever being a mega resort. Is it crazy to think that more sledders go to Revy than skiers to the hill? Not sure, serious question though.

Revy would never have been anything more than a local, small ski hill if it wasn't for the lure of Real Estate development, same with Kicking Horse, and to an extent Fernie. Tough luck for the developer, maybe good luck for the locals that the market crashed right at the time they got rolling, but just like so may of the next Whistlers, people some how overlook the access issue.

summer tourism in revy went up almost 40% this yr and kicking horse set a record for summer visits this yr as did silver star. of course that's just one yr. housing prices are still pricey but haven't really rebounded in revy. over all I'd say it's slow but consistent growth. I hope it stays relatively stagnant and housing prices adjust more. maybe a few more summer visitors to get us a bike park. I think the "build it and they will come" rule generally applies if its good , to a point, but jumbo is way out of the way with a lot of competition. red and whitewater are great and not a lot of competition should allow them to have a comparative population base to draw from and their growth is super slow

Hugh Conway Guest
    Woah. Real estate hasn't rebounded? You mean that trailer isn't worth $700k again? Poor dears.

Until the good product (interior BC skiing) gets connected to the markets (coastal/inland assholes with money who don't live within driving distance; foreigners with money who can't fork out for heli) it'll be marginal. Of course, then it'll be so crowded it'll suck.

my buddy bailed out of revy at the peak moves here buys land, builds the dream log home ... his face is stuck in that perpetual grin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

if he flipped in canmore before he flipped in revy, he'd have that log home and 7 figures in the bank. between the world economy being sketched out right now and the glut of housing we'll soon have from the baby boomers, I'm not sure we'll see those get rich ski town flips near as much. still time to save

I think he might have flipped red then revy or some combo there of but buddy seems pretty happy

I do have another bud who flipped canmore, moved here bought her piece of land and built the dream house

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Revy would never have been anything more than a local, small ski hill if it wasn't for the lure of Real Estate development, same with Kicking Horse, and to an extent Fernie. Tough luck for the developer, maybe good luck for the locals that the market crashed right at the time they got rolling, but just like so may of the next Whistlers, people some how overlook the access issue.
    you could add Pano to this as well.

At KH there is moderate building at the hill, I think 3 houses and 6 townhouses or something like that. Good builders are pretty busy.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

correct me if I'm wrong ...

53 km from the nearest town ...

with aprox 50 slide paths, and they hope the province will keep the road open in similar fashion to rogers pass ...

day trip that ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

But pano managed to sell most of its stuff while the boom was on. And I'm not thinking that Calgarians are going to go crazy again thinking that if they don't buy RIGHT NOW, they are going to miss a golden opportunity. I never did see they attraction of Pano, but most skiers are happy with well groomed runs, so who knows...

But pano managed to sell most of its stuff while the boom was on. And I'm not thinking that Calgarians are going to go crazy again thinking that if they don't buy RIGHT NOW, they are going to miss a golden opportunity. I never did see they attraction of Pano, but most skiers are happy with well groomed runs, so who knows...
    But this place is selling summer glacier skiing. But strangely all I want to do in the summer is drink beer, bbq, ride bikes, and flirt with young and sexy girls. I must be weird.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    But this place is selling summer glacier skiing. But strangely all I want to do in the summer is drink beer, bbq, ride bikes, and flirt with young and sexy girls. I must be weird.
    you could fly to s. america, drink wine, eat bbq, flirt with young and sexy girls, and ski powder in summer. it might not be that much more of a pain in the ass to get to depending on where you are coming from

besides the fact that the natives are restless which pretty much shuts down any pipeline the F.N. don't want built, the price of oil is dropping to 2010 levels

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    with aprox 50 slide paths, and they hope the province will keep the road open in similar fashion to rogers pass ....
    I'm sure the Province will do just as much to keep it open as they do at Rogers Pass ;-)

(For those who don't know Avalanche control at Rogers Pass is nothing to do with the Province, it is all done by the Federal Government - i.e. Parks Canada and the military).

could be a whole new direction for "highway thru hell" !

http://discovery-origin.ctvdigital.n...aspx?sid=45238

most yrs sunshine, lake louise, khmr, and revy close with plenty of snow. the only visitors are season pass holders the last month

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    you could fly to s. america, drink wine, eat bbq, flirt with young and sexy girls, and ski powder in summer. it might not be that much more of a pain in the ass to get to depending on where you are coming from
    But yet it sounds so much more sexy!

Ya, fuck Jumbo for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    besides the fact that the natives are restless which pretty much shuts down any pipeline the F.N. don't want built, the price of oil is dropping to 2010 levels
    Not sure how much it changes the dynamics but only one of the 2 local bands is against it. I don't know about the case you mentioned earlier, but as always it will be interesting to see what happens.