Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I like BC and visit, oh and I ski
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I don't care if its empty or not but I'll tell ya, if it gets built, I'll be there skiing the best lift accessed gnar in North America. And it will be all time if I get the place to my self.

^^^ Totally agree man.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I'm more curious as to how a place 1/10 the size of WB needs 23 lifts

It was compared to the size of Silver Star. Not very big.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

They just updated to a fancy new website.

Skiable Terrain
    • Controlled Recreation Area: 5,925 hectares
    • Approximate area of marked ski runs and trails: 611 hectares
    • Number of accessible glaciers: 4 (Glacier Dome, Jumbo Glacier, Commander Glacier, Farnham Glacier)

Lifts
    • Number of lifts at build-out: 20 – 23
    • Average Skiers Per Day at build-out: 2,700

Man, It was great...

Is the Village in some kind of avy path? Looks like they will have to bomb in a lot of places to keep it safe in the winter.
    when you really, really need to slap someone, just do it, and then yell, "Mosquito!"

Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    No. The albedo will decrease, and it will melt faster.
    They have a back up plan if melting gets out of control, snowmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkares View Post
    Forgive me for being the "hippie" here, but does anyone see anything wrong with this endless development? These proposed places for development may not be "pristine", but putting more worthless resorts, and the endless amount of un-productive real-estate that goes along with them, will destroy the beauty of these places forever. I have never understood the developer mentality, "hmm, this is a beautiful place, lets put a bunch of houses and a golf course here".

After 2 years in Europe, I would say personally that I think I can see the reason why the winters are shorter here. The vast deforestation for cattle grazing, the desire to put ski lifts virtually everywhere. There are so many roads built in every little valley, and the many cities that have sprung up in small alpine valleys as well. The glaciers are rapidly melting, and in some places they have been covering the glaciers with plastic to prevent them from melting further. With North America chasing the same dreams, this too, will be their fate as well.

The thing I don't understand, is if you can see it coming, why not try and change it? Human's inability to see an actual problem and address it amazes me to no end. God help us all.
    You forgot to mention the amount of time sitting in traffic to get to these once pristine mtn areas. Crazy amounts of road traffic. You would think it was a regular weekday commute sitting in "Stau" for hrs on end. Ultimately, there is more to it than a ski resort being built in the wilderness.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It ain't the Hautes Alpes, or whatever, but nothing in NA is.
    < shrug > it's pretty fucking close, but with more snow

the size numbers are bullshit (as apparent to anyone who's head isn't up their canadian ass)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    the size numbers are bullshit
    Yes, classic bullshit business plan:

Massive 23 lift mega ski resort with a super small 1/10th the size of Whistler eco-footprint village = I promise to not cum in your mouth

The village will be bigger, much bigger.. 2,000 to 3,000 a day skier visits?? That is a real slow day at Lake Louise.

Looks like it will be a huge amount to work to clear all the avy routes on a daily basis for patrol.

Hugh Conway Guest
    and once they finish control they can spend all night looking for the tourists who got lost and skiied down the wrong drainage/past where the runs end

calling it "611 hectares of skiing" is claiming your dick slipping into her sphincter is really your pinky

So, has it been skied?

it's pretty fucking close, but with more snow
    Les Deux Alpes = 51 lifts, and connects to La Grave
    Alpe d'Huez = 84 lifts
    Is Serra or Monetier les Bains in the Hautes Alpes?
    I'm not mentioning the other 20? small lift areas.

Tartiflette.

W/B = 39 lifts

I agree with your snow point.

I just don't see people going to bumblefuck, I mean Jumbo. Don't any of you TGR dirtbags recommend ski areas to people? Would you recommend this place to some family guy from work who knows you ski?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yeah the 5500 beds is not enough to support the building and operating of 23 lifts. And just how cold will it be riding one of those lifts in mid winter at 11000 feet? I'll be there in July and August.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    they won't be able to connect it. look at the map linked to a page earlier: in the master plan there's one lift (to peak) over terrain which doesn't include any runs. it goes from 2690 to 3410 (the elevation of the Jumbo Mtn peak).

it may be the best steep skiing west of chamonix, but it's south facing so it could just as well have no snow on it and a lot of overhang...

edit: here's the peak, lower right in the of this map (overexposed due to glacier). you tell me if it's skiable on the south side:

http://g.co/maps/ama92
    Yeah it looks like the real, continuous vertical drop will be out back on the Commander Glacier, but low angle and west facing. So, frequent bad snow conditions I imagine. Also, available terrain out there will likely be limited and groomed runs due to crevasse hazard.

Looks like they have a couple north facing lifts proposed on the South side of the valley from the base but they don't go to the ridge.

In the [400 page!] approved proposal I perused, thanks Lee, I noticed snowfall totals in the upper valley of 25-36 feet. So that's 300-430 inches. And that'll be toward the bottom of the proposed ski terrain. Pretty good but not spectacular, prolly will see almost double that at the top though.

Still seems far fetched to me but the altitude makes it promising for consistent snow into the future. If they build it, I'd love to ski it.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 03-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    and once they finish control they can spend all night looking for the tourists who got lost and skiied down the wrong drainage/past where the runs end
    If they poach some patrol from Revy those guys will have some experience looking for lost tourists. Don't they post a sign board for how many tourist spend the night in the woods at the top of the lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Yes, classic bullshit business plan:

Massive 23 lift mega ski resort with a super small 1/10th the size of Whistler eco-footprint village = I promise to not cum in your mouth

The village will be bigger, much bigger.. 2,000 to 3,000 a day skier visits?? That is a real slow day at Lake Louise.
    The biz plan predicts 2700 skier visits/day. At least they're honest. That's not a lot

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    I'm curious about summer skiing there now. Gotta check into accessing it...
    this was Farnam glacier in July 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0261.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	112936
    Jumbo glacier is way more difficult to access and full of crevasses in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The biz plan predicts 2700 skier visits/day. At least they're honest. That's not a lot
    I can't see 2700/day out there, Pano average is 1500 and they are barely making payroll 9 months a yr. Many tourists complain about the 18km to Pano, wtf are they going to say about another 40km of real back country driving?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Jumbo road proposal - http://www.jumboglacierresort.com/do...RoadIssues.pdf

Prep'ed by McElhanney - they're considered to be credible

The access route follows existing mining and forestry roads. A new main alignment has been
    chosen among existing routes, eliminating creek crossings. The road from Panorama to the
    Mineral King Mine is approximately 19 km and from the mine to the sawmill site at the
    proposed resort location will be approximately 16 km. Total will be 35 km.

• McElhanney’s projected road costs for improved access to JGR are for road design speeds in
    the range of 50 to 60km/h, depending on the road sections. They are comparable to the cost
    of the road upgrade to Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, which was in the range of $200,000
    to $250,000 per comparable kilometre (not including the hairpin turn, which is not required
    for the JGR access). The order of magnitude of the upgrades required from Panorama to the
    JGR resort base is in the range of $8 to $12 million.
    • The proponent for JGR has stated from the beginning that it was prepared to pay for the road
    upgrades, and that the project is capable of financing the road construction.
    Funny we were discussing this last night, I guessed 10 million for the road!!
    After JGR goes broke building the road I'll have sweet access on my sled!

Quote Originally Posted by skibiker View Post
    Some of you seem to be saying that you are against these new proposed resorts because they will not attract a large number of people. So I guess that when you pick a place to go ski, you pick the one that has the most people, the longest lift lines, the most jongs. If someone wants to open up a hill or resort that has good terrain and great snow, but is not predicted by many to be very busy, I will not try to stop them. I and people that I know consider small crowds to be a plus for a ski area, not a minus. I do, in fact, not recall reading any TRs in which the poster complained that there were not enough people, that he wished the lift lines were longer. So which is it?
    It's all about you huh? Try and see the big picture dude. You kinda sound like a tool here.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I can't see 2700/day out there, Pano average is 1500 and they are barely making payroll 9 months a yr. Many tourists complain about the 18km to Pano, wtf are they going to say about another 40km of real back country driving?
    dude you're such a pessimist. They're going to get all the azn tourists from mainland china out there. Massive untapped market (actually saw this fucktarded quote in some marketing PR bs from Jumbo once)