Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Fuck what a waste of time and money.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Does this affect Oberti’s Valemount plan? Anyone know if anything is happening on the Valemount resort btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Does this affect Oberti’s Valemount plan? Anyone know if anything is happening on the Valemount resort btw?
    Haven’t heard more than the usual rhetoric that lifts will turn this season, as had been promised for the past 3 yrs. So still waiting for sufficient investment capital I assume. Local 1st Nations got some investment property and a historical village back. IMO the elephant in the room is still hydro supply and stability. The geothermal is playing the same investment seeking game but some prelim reports hold promise. Anyone know if any lifts for either project have been ordered or started manufacturing?

Oberti is a paper tiger, and Jumbo is completely infeasible. The glaciers he wants groomers on are shattered to the point that skilled mountaineers go out of their way to avoid them, access would be an avalanche control project on the scale of Rogers Pass and the market just doesn't exist. I don't know if it's pride that keeps him wasting time and money in court or what but it's obvious this thing isn't going anywhere, certificate or not.

Jumbo Glacier Resort

By the time resort gets built, the glacier will have melted
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Jumbo Glacier Resort

The farmers almanac is a steaming pile of excrement.

To the paper tiger point made above; when was the
    last time a new ski resort opened in B.C.?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The farmers almanac is a steaming pile of excrement.

To the paper tiger point made above; when was the
    last time a new ski resort opened in B.C.?

I believe that would be Revy, so 11 years ago. Before that Kicking Horse in 2000 maybe? There may have been something else in the interim but I don't think so. And while KH was an Oberti project (actually his only successful ski area), it was backed by once in a lifetime rock solid funding from Ballast Nedam that even they weren't willing to put behind an already stagnant JGR. He didn't get anywhere before, and he hasn't gotten anywhere since.

I actually have a lot of respect for the man's ideas, and I think he does have a fundamental appreciation for these places that is kind of admirable, even if I don't agree with his vision personally. I don't, however, think he has a particularly firm grasp on the reality of what he's trying to do in Jumbo.

Both KH and Revekstoke were expansions of existing areas, were they not? I remember skiing Whitetooth as a kid with my dad way back in the day. We figured we would try something different instead of the usual Big 3. It was a cool little place.

Brand spanking new ski areas ?....... is Nakiska the last one to be built ftom scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post
    I believe that would be Revy, so 11 years ago. Before that Kicking Horse in 2000 maybe? There may have been something else in the interim but I don't think so. And while KH was an Oberti project (actually his only successful ski area), it was backed by once in a lifetime rock solid funding from Ballast Nedam that even they weren't willing to put behind an already stagnant JGR. He didn't get anywhere before, and he hasn't gotten anywhere since.

I actually have a lot of respect for the man's ideas, and I think he does have a fundamental appreciation for these places that is kind of admirable, even if I don't agree with his vision personally. I don't, however, think he has a particularly firm grasp on the reality of what he's trying to do in Jumbo.
    Both Kicking Horse and Revy were not new resorts but expansions of existing local ski areas. KH was Whitetooth and Revy was Powder Springs (I think that was the name), So the most recent totally new ski resort in BC was.....????? unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Both Kicking Horse and Revy were not new resorts but expansions of existing local ski areas. KH was Whitetooth and Revy was Powder Springs (I think that was the name), So the most recent totally new ski resort in BC was.....????? unknown to me.
    True, if the criteria is no existing infrastructure then fuck it, I don't know. Regardless, I'm not sure how being the only developer willing to even try makes Oberti any more capable of pulling the project off. His vision doesn't line up with the world he's trying to apply it to, and no environmental certificate is going to change that.

Yo Gary, wasn’t Shames built in the early 90’s or somewhere around that time?

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    what a waste of time and money
    when time and money is your livelihood...

1%ers dont think like the rest of us...not saying it's right, just the way it is

I appreciate the old man's tenacity. I remember seeing his interviews in that Patagonia film and I liked the guy. If I had that kind of $ and time I'd probably want to do something like that as well. He's a dreamer and likes to create, I get that.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Haven’t heard more than the usual rhetoric that lifts will turn this season, as had been promised for the past 3 yrs. So still waiting for sufficient investment capital I assume. Local 1st Nations got some investment property and a historical village back. IMO the elephant in the room is still hydro supply and stability. The geothermal is playing the same investment seeking game but some prelim reports hold promise. Anyone know if any lifts for either project have been ordered or started manufacturing?
    Hydro supply? Like drinking water for his village?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Hydro supply? Like drinking water for his village?
    Electricity.

Jumbo Glacier Resort

Power. Currently a single-circuit 138kV line that runs 347km from Kamloops. Its a stumbling block for all industry - mining, forestry and recreation - in the N.Thompson. There’s a few run-of-the-river projects in the area, and proposals for geothermal, but nothing of the size needed for large projects. Average outage in Valemount/McBride per year is greater than 20hrs/yr, numbering approx 8 outages/yr, mostly in the winter. One of the worst rates in the province.

Jumbo is completely infeasible. The glaciers he wants groomers on are shattered to the point that skilled mountaineers go out of their way to avoid them, access would be an avalanche control project on the scale of Rogers Pass and the market just doesn't exist. I don't know if it's pride that keeps him wasting time and money in court or what but it's obvious this thing isn't going anywhere, certificate or not.
    Lets hope he realizes that before 5,500 beds are built.

Yo Gary, wasn’t Shames built in the early 90’s or somewhere around that time?

'92 I believe for full operation. Jebus, does that mean we're the newest resort in BC!! Gotta get that on the marketing stuff! Wicked, come visit British Columbia's newest ski area
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Is this supposed to be a rebuke of my melting glacier comment?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

The Farmers Almanac is a rebuke to the human intelect.

And what about the last time a new ski resort opened in B.C. query? Was is really Shames in 92? I’m not trying to drift this thread away from Jumbo. The convoluted point I am trying yo make is that in addition to the litany of other issues at play, have we not reached a point in ski industry evolution where opening a new resort is but a pipe dream?

Revie was pretty close to a new resort. I don't think there is any of the old infrastructure in use from the old hill which was pretty tiny. And it just had the land at the bottom of the mountain a cat outfit was operating in the alpine. So new resort had to deal with two tenure holders.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

The old infrastructure that both revie and kh had was the existing permitting in place.