Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Jumbo Glacier Resort

http://thetyee.ca/News/2015/07/30/Ju...Not-Giving-Up/

Here's one. Or just search on Google news tab. Lots of recent stuff: 1st nations lost appeal on the issuance of the original paperwork, muni is deferring govt grants, downsizing scope. Fire lit under Oberti it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I'm glad it's not happening. We don't need any more ski areas, most of the ones we already have barely survive. Leave that zone for people that climb for their turns and the local grizzly bears to enjoy their summers.
    Sadly it still is happening, just 2000 beds less. I believe it's still 2500 beds total. I also agree, leave the area alone. The only thing I do feel has a bit of interest is the fact that it could be open year around for ski training etc.

The company has blamed protests, (roadblocks due to avalanche), bridge problems and bad weather for not making more progress.

Ahahahaaa that's rich. Whaddaya think happens all damn winter on that road? Guess it's a non issue for them since they won't be paying for avy control and road maintenance. And bad weather is the only thing keeping that ice from a headlong sprint up the mountain in the summer, so you guys better pray for more of it.

The "year round ski training" as of 2 weeks ago after a bit of fresh:

The snow part is barely 200m of vert, I've had bigger runs in Ontario. To get to it with a cat they'd have to shit bag the ice lower down which is doing poor enough as is. There's two more months of melt to go after the time of that picture too.

Agree, good summer skiing is not happening there. I do see a lodge with heli only access going in. The road will take years to build.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.3380554

I agree. It was very strange that the permit was not renewed.

I can't imagine that the extra attention would hurt the other resorts in the region. Long run, Jumbo is good for everyone involved.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

One thing is certain, if they couldn't attract investors when they had the government on their side they sure as hell won't attract investors when they are suing the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Jumbo Glacier Resort

The Robson Valley is a beautiful place, and this is one development that would greatly help the local economy; every local agency is on board, from local yokels to 1st nations (Wiegele and CMH are not so keen, but they've had mostly exclusive use of some of the best southern terrain for decades). The biggest hurdle for any industrial development anywhere north of Kamloops along hwy5 is the hydro feed. Mines, lumber mills, and mega resorts all have to convince BC Hydro, or whatever they are calling their transmission sector this week, to upgrade the line. So far not a single one has given enough assurance to enable upgrade of our line up the valley. Hope this project is able to buck that trend.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 08-18-2016 at 12:47 AM.

Valemont seems pretty far from everything to build a ski resort

ever ski David henry lodge ? lower angle ski touring

hey BCMH I was talking to a friend last week who tells us the Guggenhiem corp has been aquiring land in Dunster, they just buy land and hold it doing nothing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

They had me at "short shuttle bus ride"

"FLY-IN SKI-OUT?

The Valemount Airport is located within 300 meters (948 feet) of the project’s controlled recreation area making it possible to ski to and from the airport (via a short shuttle bus ride)."

Valemont is in a narrow mtn Valley in the middle of nowhere, they didn't even have a road in there till sometime in the 60's you had to ride the train , once you get 100 miles from the US boarder Canada & BC is a very big very unpopulated place.

At this point I don't think Valemont has any regular air service so if you wana go somewhere you fly from a major center like prince george which is 3hr or Kamloops which is maybe 4hrs and I wonder how many flights would get into Valemont in winter?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-18-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post

"FLY-IN SKI-OUT?
    Ski the Milk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_Airplane_VS.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	784.1 KB 
ID:	186404

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    At this point I don't think Valemont has any regular air service so if you wana go somewhere you fly from a major center like prince george which is 3hr or Kamloops which is maybe 4hrs and I wonder how many flights would get into Valemont in winter?
    They have a strip, but would basically need to build a new airport, in order to get approvals for commercial flights.
    I'd like to see a new resort, but I wouldn't invest in one.

Haven't they learned from Kicking Horse and Revelstoke, that you can't build a huge resort so far away from large population centers?

I'm with Shredhead. Not against it, but wouldn't invest in it...

Yeah Valemont is seriously in the middle of nowhere from any major markets so you gotta fly

http://www.hellobc.com/valemount/tra...tion-maps.aspx

closest air travel is 3hrs in good weather on a winding 2 lane highway which I have had to drive many times in winter and its not great

So a cow pasture also qualify as an air strip

Sure you could upgrade the airport but its right next to a mountain which I am not sure I would want to fly into a lot of the time in winter , Caslegar airport in the west kootneys has the same probelm

so getting facilities to where you could fly into during a storm would be $$$ we got the same problems landing in Smithers and its already a much bigger airport

I tend to think that fly in thing is all just some some marketing hype from some Marketing type

5hrs from Edmonton. Only 1hr further than Marmot Basin, 30mins further than Lake Louise. Closer than the other BC resorts, and a more relaxed drive (except for Fernie).

What was Jumbo, 4hrs+ on what was to be a brand new taxpayer funded and avalanche controlled road from Calgary driving past multiple ski resorts? Revelstoke is 5 from Calgary, 2.5 to Kamloops and Kelowna and that's got to be a worse drive in the winter.

Spectacular up there. Great ski touring in 3 different mountain ranges, mountain biking is getting better. Neat place even if the resort fizzles out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	croute.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	186410

Not the only proposed game in town either

http://www.canoemountainresorts.com/...lan/index.html

Might be > 5 hrs ?

better jump on the RE its probably dirt cheap

So when does ELA roll into Valemount to take over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

More relaxed drive? Less tight corners but driving around Valemount is not relaxing. During the winter it has one of the highest impaired rates in the province, plus the usual crowd tends to have little consideration for other road users...
    But it is a better idea than jumbo, and has better snow than marmot.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Valemont seems pretty far from everything to build a ski resort

ever ski David henry lodge ? lower angle ski touring

hey BCMH I was talking to a friend last week who tells us the Guggenhiem corp has been aquiring land in Dunster, they just buy land and hold it doing nothing
    Never been to David Henry, I still haven't checked out all that Wells Gray, North Blue, Nelson cabin, North Thompson cabin, and Monashee Chalet have to offer. So much terrain and so little time (or money to play with Wiegele above them all).

Not surprising there is international money being spent on real estate in the Robson; just a few years ago some Texan came into the govt office in McBride and was very vocal about buying the Raush Valley. The whole friggin valley. He wasn't too impressed when he was told that crown land of that scope was not for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    More relaxed drive? Less tight corners but driving around Valemount is not relaxing. During the winter it has one of the highest impaired rates in the province, plus the usual crowd tends to have little consideration for other road users...
    Most of the current rec money in Valemount is from slednecks funded by the oil patch. It's getting better, but still a rowdy crowd. Still far too many deaths between Avola and McBride due to pushing the sleds into high risk avy terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Haven't they learned from Kicking Horse and Revelstoke, that you can't build a huge resort so far away from large population centers?

I'm with Shredhead. Not against it, but wouldn't invest in it...
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Revy over the past two years has started to get busy on weekdays and weekends are an absolute shit-show

Jumbo Glacier Resort

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Spectacular up there. Great ski touring in 3 different mountain ranges, mountain biking is getting better. Neat place even if the resort fizzles out.
    The local 1st Nations (Simpcw) has been training some its youth in trail building, then partnering with local communities to fund new bike trails. Barriere, Valemount and McBride trails are all increasing under this project. Clearwater has its own rec group that is slowly expanding the trail network within their rec tenure (Candle Creek). Good times for new recreation infrastructure in the area, and my little one should be on the pedal bike next summer

And the saga continues...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/indi...sort-1.4381902

But still no environmental permit from the province. Just give up on Jumbo Oberti, and focus on Valemount!

Just came to post the national post link.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politic...ver-ski-resort
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

"Despite the court ruling, the project still has to clear environmental and other regulatory hurdles in order to proceed."

Thank fuck.

However, the length of time required to clear those hurdles will depend on how many politicians the developers can pay off.
    27° 18°