Freeride Plus switching modes

With the new Freeride Pluses can you still just reach down pull the tab and switch from ski to tour mode, or does the new anti-insta-tele mean that this involves some extra step now?

i dont have a set or ever used one, but the pictures ive seen indicate you still just pull it like normal

the insta-tele device is a little spring loaded nub on the sides of the heel
    do a search for bossass' thread, he had good pics

edit
    so you dont have to search
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...9&postcount=52
    Last edited by pechelman; 10-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Irlts: It's the same method for switching touring modes. I have both in-hand.

So I'm debating which should I buy? Looks like everyone is going with the + in the group buys but I'm a little weary of anytime a new binding comes out with new moving parts before it's been field tested. I've been skiing fritchi t II's for about 5 years now and never had any insta tele problems, was this problem specific to the freeride. Do those plates on the + act as risers, I don't really like that riser feel?

I ski Diarmir 2's, gray/yellow FRs and have extensive time on the Freeride white toe pieces and about 2 days on the Freeride Plus in groomers and hardpack and powder. I'm also 165 lbs.

Maybe its because Im not big, maybe its because every ski on hardpack feels like ass compared to my Atomic SX 11 with Atomic dh boots setup. Maybe its because I think my knees and ankles have more flex then any wiggle in the binding. Heck maybe I just don't know how to ski. Pick one.

I'm going to give you an unpopular opinion personal to ME.

For medium-sized people who mostly tour and don't huck big (ie ski like pussies), the "slop" in Freerides, and the insta-tele problems aren't problems.

In short, stick with the now much cheaper standard issue Freerides.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I ski Diarmir 2's, gray/yellow FRs and have extensive time on the Freeride white toe pieces and about 2 days on the Freeride Plus in groomers and hardpack and powder. I'm also 165 lbs.

Maybe its because Im not big, maybe its because every ski on hardpack feels like ass compared to my Atomic SX 11 with Atomic dh boots setup. Maybe its because I think my knees and ankles have more flex then any wiggle in the binding. Heck maybe I just don't know how to ski. Pick one.

I'm going to give you an unpopular opinion personal to ME.

For medium-sized people who mostly tour and don't huck big (ie ski like pussies), the "slop" in Freerides, and the insta-tele problems aren't problems.

In short, stick with the now much cheaper standard issue Freerides.

Word. I've been on my T II's for a while now, and for me they have worked great with 0 as in zero problems. Granted I don't "go big" or "huck meat" or ski "big lines" but I can ski the back bowls at Vail.

Just noticed that the price difference in that group buy is only 25 dollars, hmmmm, what's a JONG to do.

Irlts:
    I concur with LeeLau and seem to have been one of the loudest voices of dissent on this site on the topic of Fritschis. (then again, when people are offering their opinions, you need to figure out what their frame of reference is...and what the AT experience is.)

In any event, the insta-tele issue is not a problem with proper mounting. The problem is that mounts that are off even slightly cause big problems. The FR+ is more tolerant to mounting discrepancies. (I know, I mounted a pair a few months back.)

Couple things:
    * If you are worried about the FR+ as a new product/moving parts -- don't worry. The differences are quite minor. I expect them to be a slight improvement on-snow vs. the FR, but nothing major. And there really is no new 'moving' part -- it's essentially just a spring/stopper to help keep the heel locked down.

* If you've been fine in TIIs, they you'll be fine in any of the Fritschi lineup. Why not save some weight and go with the Explores? Just something to consider. I would still happily ski my TIIs -- if I had them. I think the issue you might experience is that they do start to break down. My last pair died last season, and now it happens that the only Fritschis I have are FRs or FR+'s.

You could also pick up the 05/06 Freerides and save some $$ off the FR+.

My frame of reference is having skied on every model Fritschi that has been released over the last 10 years, except the Explores...and I haven't had the FR+'s on snow yet this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Word. I've been on my T II's for a while now, and for me they have worked great with 0 as in zero problems. Granted I don't "go big" or "huck meat" or ski "big lines" but I can ski the back bowls at Vail.

Just noticed that the price difference in that group buy is only 25 dollars, hmmmm, what's a JONG to do.
    The TIIs are competent in much more than the back bowls @ vail. I literraly took them everywhere for years with no problems, including AK (valdez), denali, and the grand. you'll be fine.

if you are set on Freerids, just pony up the extra $25 and know you have the latest version.

for 25$ it would be hard for me to not buy the fr+
    theyve definitely made a couple good improvements.
    Id argue that since the heel peice is better supported, less stress is on the toe sections. Might make the binding last longer.

Id also have peice of mind that even if they were to have some sort of problem, I know BD has an awesome warranty dept.

regarding the shimming question, it all works out to be the same as the previous models as far as I can tell.

you cant go wrong either way, but for 25$ its hard to turn down the new one imo

Oh I didn't realize they were just $ 25 bucks more. Go with the Plusses then.

OK, I'm going with the freeride +, thanks for the info.

On a side note of weight differences, I thought that the difference in the weight with the explore vs. the freeride was minimal once you added the brakes, just around 3 ounces per pair.

From what the rep showed me at ISSW, the plates won't make the binding any higher. BUT, the nice thing is that when the ski flexes, the binding moves back and forth a bit on the rail letting the ski do as much of a natural flex as possible.

The mode is the same for touring and decent mode, just some little red doohicky that is supposed to help with insta tele mode. I too am not convinced till I see them in action and read more here with others experiences. But if you are buying or if I was, I would do the Pluses.

My cent and a half.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Irlts:
    I concur with LeeLau and seem to have been one of the loudest voices of dissent on this site on the topic of Fritschis. (then again, when people are offering their opinions, you need to figure out what their frame of reference is...and what the AT experience is.)

In any event, the insta-tele issue is not a problem with proper mounting. The problem is that mounts that are off even slightly cause big problems. The FR+ is more tolerant to mounting discrepancies. (I know, I mounted a pair a few months back.)

Couple things:
    * If you are worried about the FR+ as a new product/moving parts -- don't worry. The differences are quite minor. I expect them to be a slight improvement on-snow vs. the FR, but nothing major. And there really is no new 'moving' part -- it's essentially just a spring/stopper to help keep the heel locked down.

* If you've been fine in TIIs, they you'll be fine in any of the Fritschi lineup. Why not save some weight and go with the Explores? Just something to consider. I would still happily ski my TIIs -- if I had them. I think the issue you might experience is that they do start to break down. My last pair died last season, and now it happens that the only Fritschis I have are FRs or FR+'s.

You could also pick up the 05/06 Freerides and save some $$ off the FR+.

My frame of reference is having skied on every model Fritschi that has been released over the last 10 years, except the Explores...and I haven't had the FR+'s on snow yet this year.

Good info, one of the reasons I want to get some new bindings is because I feel like the life of my TII's is soon to expire, although they just keep on going. Rather than mount the tII's on my new pair of pocket rockets, I thought about getting some new bindings and when that smoking group deal came around I said to myself, why not.

Maybe before I retire my T II's and x-mountains I should try them outside the back bowls of Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Rather than mount the tII's on my new pair of pocket rockets...
    I have the white freerides on a pair of PR's and I like 'em... the other cool thing about the new ones is they are black&red... look meaner for sure!!!

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited 3 mo. and bought the +, I didn't know about them when I made my spring purchase!!! That plate under the bar on the new heelpiece makes good sense to me, but oh well - I saved a few bucks I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I have the white freerides on a pair of PR's and I like 'em... the other cool thing about the new ones is they are black&red... look meaner for sure!!!

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited 3 mo. and bought the +, I didn't know about them when I made my spring purchase!!! That plate under the bar on the new heelpiece makes good sense to me, but oh well - I saved a few bucks I guess...
    jfost-don't sweat it. the upgrade's not a huge deal.

Just get some dynafits. That will solve all your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc View Post
    Just get some dynafits. That will solve all your problems.
    it ain't really a problem with fritschis, but, whatever.

dynafits have their own set of problems.

so do naxos.

and everything else.

or not.

i'd argue that if someone is going "insta-tele" because their fritschis were mounted improperly, there's an even greater likelihood that same person is going to mismount (all it takes is 1mm off) dynafits.

mount shit correctly. use it in the situations for which it is intended (i.e., not dynafits regularly for >15' or so). don't weigh 225 pounds.

i'll repeat #1 -- mount shit correctly -- because it's the biggest cause of problems with any and all bindings, esp AT bindings.