Thread: Only In Utah...

Only In Utah...

At least this moron has decided to let it go...

SALT LAKE CITY Drunken skiers may be thrown out of a ski resort, but they won’t have to worry about being thrown into jail. A state lawmaker is dropping a bill that would have made skiing under the influence a crime.

Rep. Mike Morley, R-Spanish Fork, said ski resorts have addressed his concerns about ensuring visibly drunk skiers and open containers aren’t allowed on ski lifts.

“I just felt that the industry was handling that well,” Morley said. “They assured those of us concerned with that issue they’re going to take affirmative steps on their part.”

Most Utah ski resorts sell alcohol.

Morley said the steps include providing additional training for ski lift operators, prohibiting open containers of alcohol and prohibiting anyone impaired by alcohol consumption from using the ski slopes.

Dangerous and reckless skiers or snowboarders can already have their ski passes confiscated by ski patrol members or lift operators.

Morley had received a complaint from a constituent that he had ridden on a ski lift last winter next to a man who was drunk and drinking from an open container. The constituent complained to the hill operator and the manager of the resort. Ultimately, he complained to Morley.

“In enforcing the no-open-container rule and watching for impaired skiers, that should handle the situation probably better than what (lawmakers) could do,” he said.

Morley said it’s already a crime if a drunken skier injures someone. He said he hadn’t gotten as far as deciding what would have been the blood-alcohol threshold for charges under the bill.

Nathan Rafferty, Ski Utah president, said drunken skiing isn’t a big problem on the state’s slopes.

“We really don’t see it a lot. That’s why it kind of surprised us,” he said.

All Utah resorts say they operate under the American National Standard for Safety guidelines, which calls for operators to deny anyone access to a lift if they feel they are a danger to their guests.

Rafferty said the ski industry always welcomes new ways to improve safety

you should have titled the thread "Only in Utah County" Spanish Fork? Gimme a break. I didn't think anyone from Spanish could ski...at least anything beyond slumdance.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

...and in Italy, Austria... and other places around the country and world.

Over one third of Brits hitting the slopes this winter will be under the influence of alcohol when they ski according to new research* from Direct Line Travel Insurance.

The findings revealed that 35% of accidents that occur on the slopes are between the hours of two and four just after most skiers have enjoyed a drink or two over lunch.

For some, drinking and skiing can be injury free experience but one in ten of those that ski under the influence have admitted that their actions have resulted in injury to both themselves and fellow skiers.

Chris Price, Business Manager for Direct Line Travel Insurance, commented:
    "After years of seeing needless injuries and even deaths caused by people drinking too much whilst out on the slopes, police forces are cracking down on such reckless behaviour. If you are going out on the slopes this winter please keep the drinking strictly Après-ski and not on the piste."

The new ‘piste police’ units in the Italian and Austrian ski resorts means winter sports enthusiasts need to keep their enthusiasm for partying on the piste in check, or they could possibly face on the spot fines for reckless behaviour. The crackdown is an attempt to lower the high rate of injuries, one in four***, caused by collisions between skiers.

Some Travel Insurance policies may exclude incidents resulting from the consumption of alcohol. Worryingly, 10% of those researched believe they will always be covered when ‘drinking and skiing’.

* Research undertaken on ifyouski.com. Over 850 skiers and snowboarders were surveyed during November 2004. 794 admitted to being drinkers of alcohol — 323 of whom admit to skiing or snowboarding whilst hung over or drunk.

** In Italy during the 2004 ski season over 600 skiers and snowboarders were fined for reckless behaviour whilst on the slopes. Source — BBC NEWS online — 08/03/2004.

In Austria & Italy — Piste Police have been introduced which can hand out on the spot fines and confiscate ski passes in an attempt to deter loutish behaviour on the slopes.

*** Winter Sport Injuries 2004 — research by University of Innsbruck. Knee injuries account for 25-30% of all accidents on the slopes.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by daPig View Post
    Morley said the steps include providing additional training for ski lift operators, prohibiting open containers of alcohol and prohibiting anyone impaired by alcohol consumption from using the ski slopes.
    Yep, that is really going to do it, I am very sure, in fact positive.

Pfft, I give our lifties beers.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

How do they feel about bud on the mtn? How does everyone here feel? There was a big debate here about it a while back I think, but anyway..
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

alta's closing day you couldn't drink in lift line, but you could drink once you were on the lift. i forget the reason why, but that's what you could do.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    How do they feel about bud on the mtn? How does everyone here feel? There was a big debate here about it a while back I think, but anyway..
    I think its a great idea...so do most of the people here it seems.

absolutely no problem with it lol. and yea i find it funny that the guys working my home hill are usually the drunkest dudes on the mountain lol
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Funny that this happened. I heard about this dude through the grapevine and I think I know the people that caused this conservative weenie to start crying.

Good idea if you ask me.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Pfft, I give our lifties beers.

or cat drivers...people always wonder why i bring a sixer for preseason hiking.

Morley had received a complaint from a constituent that he had ridden on a ski lift last winter next to a man who was drunk and drinking from an open container.
    My bad guys. Hope I didn't spoil any fun.
    You look like I need a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoplanker View Post

The findings revealed that 35% of accidents that occur on the slopes are between the hours of two and four just after most skiers have enjoyed a drink or two over lunch.
    Well, no shit... that's when they're the most physically fatigued. Wow. What a revelation...

For some, drinking and skiing can be injury free experience
    "For some?" Wow... I guess I've been awefully lucky this whole time. PHEW!

Riiight... Some yahoo making $8/hr who's probably stoned off his gord is going to give two shits about the sobriety of some guest.... Whatever...

Where did this article appear?

Ok... I better stop. Breaking down the fallicies of these articles could lead to a total day of nonproductivity.
    Last edited by Ubersheist; 10-19-2006 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Didn't want to waste my 2000th post on asking something as menial as "where'd you read that article"
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Quote Originally Posted by TELEB View Post
    alta's closing day you couldn't drink in lift line, but you could drink once you were on the lift. i forget the reason why, but that's what you could do.

They let us drink in line at alta on st. patrick's day, guess some people complained about us to the lifties and ticket checkers, but they didn't care, a couple of them jumped on the chairs with us to have beers and none of them seemed to mind when we tossed some out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubersheist View Post
    Well, no shit... that's when they're the most physically fatigued. Wow. What a revelation...

"For some?" Wow... I guess I've been awefully lucky this whole time. PHEW!

Riiight... Some yahoo making $8/hr who's probably stoned off his gord is going to give two shits about the sobriety of some guest.... Whatever...

Where did this article appear?

Ok... I better stop. Breaking down the fallicies of these articles could lead to a total day of nonproductivity.
    Your analysis is brilliant. The point of my posting the article was to show that this is not a Utah-only legal issue; other communities have decided to pass laws about drinking and skiing.

BTW, I like me drinky whilst skiing.
    Last edited by Twoplanker; 10-19-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoplanker View Post
    Over one third of Brits hitting the slopes this winter will be under the influence of alcohol when they ski according to new research* from Direct Line Travel Insurance.
    That's why I want to go skiing with Edg. That and the water crackers and pub cheese.

edit: I don't mind a little sip of whiskey on the lift. Great on a cold day.
    Last edited by 72Twenty; 10-19-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

drinking/smoking while skiing is fine with me. Lifties just dont give a flying fuck about what you do. I was skiing at an unnamed ski resort last season and went down to some obscure chairlift. No lifties were there, but the chair was running. The door opened and smoke billowed out. I was invited inside, matched bowls and took some bong rips. had a fantastic day skiing. I will admit that even though the snow down to that lift was not the best i still foud myself heading back down to that lift a lot