Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    He did two episodes on The Powell Movement within the last year. I swear I recall him saying that he was sober. He definitely talked about his 2 DUIs and history with drinking. .4 is nuts.

Boy that is sad. I had hoped he'd gotten sober but last year he started popping up in my 'people you may know' on the facebooks. He's got that vacant stare of someone who's pretty far gone in his profile pic so I was thinking maybe not. If he's that drunk that much I'm surprised his liver's hangin on. Maybe it isn't but that much alcohol will catch up to you so he'd better get sober ASAP if he wants to live. Can't live without your liver.

Alcoholism is a terrible disease.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Attachment 442119

Mitigating factors: He has been clean (as in no arrests) since 2019. He is attempting to be an upstanding member of the Ketchum community: teaching people how to ski.
    It is my experience that people who often drink and drive with outrageous BALs don't change until something really bad happens. Sure, he will be incarcerated, fined, required to do community service and attend some sort of rehab where he will see movies of innocent people being killed by drunken driver, but his life will likely not change until something horrific happens.
    All I can say is thoughts and prayers
    Sounds like he might meet the aggravating factor if he had another active felony DUI bench warrant. Also leaving the scene. For better or worse, and I think it would actually be for the better, he may be a guest of the state for a long time.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Who is going to start the Dean Jeremy poll? Too soon? We can add Picabo in there too.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Dayum he looks rough. There is still time to recover from this. Hope he can pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Who is going to start the Dean Jeremy poll? Too soon? We can add Picabo in there too.
    That gave me quite a hearty laugh 😂

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    He did two episodes on The Powell Movement within the last year. I swear I recall him saying that he was sober. He definitely talked about his 2 DUIs and history with drinking. .4 is nuts.
    The sad reality is that very very very few people get and STAY sober. Lots and lots of drunks white knuckle months here or there. It sucks.

It's entirely believable to me for someone to drink a deadly amount immediately after falling off the wagon. If you're an alcoholic the disease keeps progressing even while you have sober periods. Next time a year or three later can certainly be just like you'd still been totally out of control for that period of sobriety. People go through those kind of cycles over and over until... this or worse..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Love The Powell Movement podcast but the Nobis episode was unlistenable. Came across as a self-centered blowhard

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Love The Powell Movement podcast but the Nobis episode was unlistenable. Came across as a self-centered blowhard
    I recall that too. I burn through a lot of podcasts in the background while I'm working, but his episodes weren't great.

Fuck. Just ran some online calculators to see how much alcohol it'd take me to get to .40%. It's... a lot. Just shy of a fifth of whiskey.

Hopefully he can get some help. I can imagine it's hard to cope with going from being one of the best skiers in the game to being "just another guy" as he got older.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I can imagine it's hard to cope with going from being one of the best skiers in the game to being "just another guy" as he got older.
    It’s called maturing. Most people do it. He couldn’t because of the bottle. I’ve had zero respect for Nobis for a very long time.

Lots of versions of alcoholism, and potential for recovery. Close friend of mine wasn’t a daily drunk, but when he got started he too often didn’t stop till he was in the ditch. Getting pulled over when he was too plastered to know his own name was the impetus he needed to get his life together. 15 years sober, we lapped powder lines together in the trees yesterday, and in the bar afterwards he happily cheered my IPA with a coke. Everybody deserves a second chance.

He’s gotten a few more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Whatever happened to Nobis - update

I guess Still Nobis is taking on a new meaning. bummer
    skid luxury

Its easy to pile on with three previous dui's/dwi's ...but, people i've know who blew around .3+ usually don't remember what happened. Of course he's still responsible for his own actions.
    No one goes out and plans to drive that drunk. I've been lucky enough to learn my lesson without harming anyone and no police record. Came out of a blackout driving on the freeway years ago, 75 mph as a cop came flying by at about 100, 2 am ,never remembered getting in the car nor most of the concert I was at.
    Basically have your 1-2 drinks and STOP. If you cant do that you really shouldn't be drinking with car keys in your pocket.
    Really hope he learns- good luck Nobis

' lost three friends to alcohol addiction.
    Kevin drank to respiratory arrest.

it's a hard way to lose a friend...

Good luck, Nobi -
    Love your skiing ; hate the drinking-to-obliteration. . .

Please , make the change .
    With love

tj

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Probably horrible home life/childhood etc. Buried core trauma.

As a sober dude I'd love to talk w him. Seems like ppl who go that hard in the paint and haven't hit bottom may be doomed.

But there are tons of ppl who have found a better way to live and stopped the wreckage. Best of luck.
    I think Jeremy talked some about that in the podcast, didn't exactly sound like the Nobis' had a bad childhood. Hope Jeremy gets the help he needs and gets back to ripping the hills around the world. Too many bad influences in around Glitter Gulch for him it seems, he should try to remove himself from that environment and get back on track, tough to do when you have so many friends in the area, but sometimes it's what needs to be done, your true friends will stay with you no matter how far away you go.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    I think Jeremy talked some about that in the podcast, didn't exactly sound like the Nobis' had a bad childhood. Hope Jeremy gets the help he needs and gets back to ripping the hills around the world. Too many bad influences in around Glitter Gulch for him it seems, he should try to remove himself from that environment and get back on track, tough to do when you have so many friends in the area, but sometimes it's what needs to be done, your true friends will stay with you no matter how far away you go.
    "Wherever you go there you are". Moving rarely gets someone sober. My guess is that SV, just like every rip roaring glitzy/party/resort area, also has a pretty strong contingent of recovery minded people to get linked up with.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I guess Still Nobis is taking on a new meaning. bummer
    Oh dang! I feel bad but that is pretty funny.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Alcoholism is a disease and one that has a potential for control, but not cured. Here's to hoping this is his bottom that most alcoholics need before they decide to be sober (with a lot of help.) I only met him once, but really enjoyed his company and conversation, so I hope he gets the help he needs. If not, he needs to be in jail, or he will kill somebody and/or himself.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A sad update

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.ZECPO2RMG_Y

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Well that's shitty.

Not sure what to say...bummer...such an accomplished skier

Mind The Addiction will probably find it's way into my watch queue soon.

Condolences to those who knew Jeremy and his family.

RIP Nobis.
    Thanks for always taking the time to talk when our paths crossed. Enjoyed watching you full throttle it on skis.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk