Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: College

College

I know this doesn't belong in the Ski/Snowboard forum (or probably anywhere on this board for that matter), but fuck it, I'm posting it anyway. As summer rolls into fall and ski season looms, it is time for anticipation and angst of another kind to arise among a certain group of people nation/worldwide. Yes, it is college admissions season. And for this young (and some might say rash and overzealous) maggot, the time has come to apply to colleges and see where I'll take my first real step into the adult world.

With a decent unweighted cumulative gpa and respectable test scores (3.8 and 1400, respectively), I fall into something of a middle of the road category, where Ivy's are a bigtime reach and top tier state schools are solid bets. But I'm not worried about that really, I've compiled a list of schools that, while not terribly ski-centric, are pretty degree centric in a field that could potentially lead to lots of skiing, or at least time in the mountains. So, I present the maggot community with Glademaster's college process odyssey. Let's start with some lists of schools in order of my desire to go to them:

Brown University
    Columbia University Columbia College
    McGill University
    University of Michigan Ann Arbor
    Northwestern University
    University of California Berkeley
    Cornell University
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    University of Washington Seattle
    University of Vermont

So, with that in mind, we'll see how things progress in the coming months. Between the rolling admissions schools and my early decision application to Brown, I should have reponses from 3 or 4 schools by Christmas. Wish me luck and feel free to offer any advice, as I'm sure those of you who have been through the process know far more about it than I do at this point.

Smoke some weed and drop a few hits of acid. Check back next Thursday.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Elvis has left the building

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I've compiled a list of schools that, while not terribly ski-centric, are pretty degree centric in a field that could potentially lead to lots of skiing, or at least time in the mountains.
    What field(s) are you thinking about?

Looks like a damn good list. Good luck! With your scores I think you would be accepted at nearly all the schools you listed.

I'm inclinded to say Madison, though the only reason I mention that is that it's the only WCHA school on your list. Cause lets face it, attending a WCHA school gets you tickets to the best college hockey in the country, though you should really add the University of Minnesota to your list.

GoodLuck,
    Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

I would take a look at Colorado College. I think its one of the best schools for balancing academics and outdoor activities. It would at least be good to apply to incase you don't get into the ivy's and its got WCHA hockey.

I'm on my third school, and I'm finally happy with my decision.

I started my college career at Miami University (OH). At the time I thought it was perfect, mostly because all I was concerned about was attending a psuedo trophy school (for the Midwest) and busting through the business school as fast as possible so that I could make as much money as possible. That "perfect match" came to a screeching halt when I was suspended 1 semester for, get this: Water ballooning, drinking, and a potentially deadly airsoft gun incident (not all at the same time, although that would have been one hell of a night). But that’s another story.

I gave a nice "up yours" to MUOhio and applied randomly to University of Colorado since one of my best friends was having a great time and had extra space in his condo. Miraculously I got in having applied with a 2.7 college GPA, an arrest on my record (drinking), and a college suspension. (but they only cared about the box that I checked in the "out-of-state" section)
    Colorado continued to fit the bill in the "Trophy School" category and I thought the business school was good. From my 2 years of experience, CU was a joke. The administration is a building full of morons that waste money. The business school is more like a business cattle drive (i had 4 classes one semester: 500, 500, 450, and 250 classmates respectively).
    This is what I learned at Colorado: I love the outdoors, particularly skiing. I’m not outgoing enough to be happy and/or successful at a huge school. I hate stoners. Life should be enjoyed – and for me, flying thru business school didn’t fit the bill. Students at CU can generally be placed into 2 categories: Pretentious asshole and Hippy-Stoner-Fuck. Paying 14000/semester is outrageous for a shitty school like CU (I cant even do the math on how much it will cost with the interest on the loans).

So for close to a year all I did was complain about CU, then my dad finally recommended Westminster College in SLC, UT - which just so happens to be his alma mater. The entire college is just slightly larger than my high school, and you know what – it’s perfect. I tried out for the golf team, and I’m back to playing competitive golf, waiting for the greatest snow on earth that just so happens to be less than half the distance I drove from CU to summit county. But most importantly I’m happy. Don’t forget about yourself when you choose your college. It took me 3 tries. Besides, undergrads are the new GED’s – worry later about grad school.

Glade-I'm in the same boat as you except you have me on the SAT, i'm at a 1300 but same GPA. Somehow though I managed to get National Hispanic Merit. Anyway, what are you planning on majoring in?

Your short list is a little more prestigious than mine...ok a lot more but here it is.
    University of Oklahoma
    University of Alabama
    University of Arizona
    ^^Those all have offered full rides for hispanic merit.
    University of Denver
    Boston College
    South Carolina

Is DU really that snooty as I have heard from people?

I am having a great experience at U of M. my time is almost over, and I don't want it to end. I can't council you on where to go. A2 is a great town with alot to do. When it comes to skiing, I get my fair share in. a couple days a week here, nice weekend skiing, and, if you plan it right, 7 days after x mas on winter break, a week midwinter, and a "spring" break in febuary. I worked my ass off, put all the money towards trips. got 20 days on my own dollar out west, which isn't so bad. about 5o days last season. I guess the point is, you can live the dream kinda no matter where you go, it just takes a little more work.
    I could have gone to a small school and skiied in Montana, but I don't regret my decision at all.
    good luck, and I'll be glad to show you around campus if you visit. you got a couch here.
    Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

UVM, i think I told you why when we met, kick ass skiing, women, drinking, boating and a decent education to boot.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by givebackbloom View Post
    .........Is DU really that snooty as I have heard from people?
    I don't know what you have heard, but there is a large contingent of kids that are to stupid to go to a top tier school and to rich to go to a public school. DU ain't cheap.

That being said, there are a lot of cool cats there and my wife got a good education. A full ride from the Veterans Administration paid the bills.

She is doing her grad work at an Ivy and I will say that DU girls dress way more slutty.

As far as skiing, Central NY ain't the Rockies, but there is skiing.

Take some advice from a guy who's dropped out of college nine times in the last 14 years.

Don't go to a school that is too close to good skiing.

Yea the only way i'm going there is if I can get some sort of scholarships.

I'm most likely going to end up going where my tuition is paid for, even though that school may not be my first choice. I can't really justify in my mind going somewhere that I'm going to have to pay, when I could be going for free. I guess the only thing drawing me to the schools in the mountains is the skiing, but like glademaster I want to be set up with a career where I can live in the mountains and I realize that possibly going to school away from the mountains is a sacrifice that needs to be made.

Huh, guess you don't really want to ski? Planning on getting after it post- college is a sucker bet, you won't even recognize yourself in 4+ years, and there's a good chance you'll be feeling some pressures you can't foresee now... To get a good job, etc. If you care about something, best to get after it now IMHO, while also keeping in mind what kind of job/career is going to give you what you want in the long run. What is it that you think you want to do anyway? I don't think you said.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    Huh, guess you don't really want to ski? Planning on getting after it post- college is a sucker bet, you won't even recognize yourself in 4+ years, and there's a good chance you'll be feeling some pressures you can't foresee now... To get a good job, etc. If you care about something, best to get after it now IMHO, while also keeping in mind what kind of job/career is going to give you what you want in the long run. What is it that you think you want to do anyway? I don't think you said.

If that's the kind of shit life you are planning give the fuck up now. People change. Things change. If you think you've got a chance to be the best go for it.... but odds say you don't. So enjoy the path, and make sure you end up where you want to be. Skiing will be there - and a good degree can make for some damn good skiing.
    Last edited by cj001f; 10-06-2006 at 12:32 AM.
    Elvis has left the building

Here's an interesting read about the benefits of "lower prestige" schools.

"Who needs Harvard" Time Magazine Aug 2006
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...226150,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post

If that's the kind of shit life you are planning give the fuck up now. People change. Things change.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the plethroa of rolleyes gets your general feeling across. I don't know where I said anything about my plans or my shit life. I wasn't telling him to buy a fuckin camper truck, grow dreads and roll around from ski town to ski town for the rest of his life washing dishes. But if he cares about skiing, he should make that part of his decision as to where he's going to spend his college years. That list doesn't show any skiing influence as far as I can tell. Which is fine, unless he's just pretending he doesn't care about the skiing, when he might actually care a lot. I don't know, he did post this on a skiing forum, someone needs to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post

If that's the kind of shit life you are planning give the fuck up now. People change. Things change. If you think you've got a chance to be the best go for it.... but odds say you don't. So enjoy the path, and make sure you end up where you want to be. Skiing will be there - and a good degree can make for some damn good skiing.

A degree from a good school really means nothing compared to a degree from some school where you enjoyed your time, made good connections, made good grades and had a good relationship with the faculty.
    All of the above seem easier to do in a environment where you're happy and having a good time.
    Last edited by Shepherd Wong; 10-06-2006 at 01:40 AM.

[QUOTE=Is DU really that snooty as I have heard from people?[/QUOTE]

Theyre all DUche bags.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What field(s) are you thinking about?
    Atmospheric sciences or climatology.

Quote Originally Posted by givebackbloom View Post
    Somehow though I managed to get National Hispanic Merit.
    Me too, I believe that's based on PSAT scores though. As is regular National Merit.

That sounds good, other than all the midwest schools... heh.

Also, I thought Utah had a good weather-voodoo program, and I don't see it on the list.

Anyway, I almost chose schools based on proximity to skiing, but ended up going with somewhere I could major in almost anything in a rather large city. BU has been a mix of good and bad things (never underestimate a well-run and diverse study abroad program), but I've skied more than I thought I would and learned the value of tuning and sharp edges. I have friends at Brown and they seem to like it, and the MBTA is running the Providence commuter rail to Boston on weekends now, so you can get into the city more easily.

Move to CA, ski Tahoe for a year, apply in-state to Cal and UCLA, and save your folks $20,000 a year.

Also- I don't know if those schools listed all have climatology, etc. as majors, but don't be afraid to broaden your scope a little (if you haven't already) and include schools with a good earth sciences/environmental studies major. You'll be able to study whatever you want as a thesis subject your junior and senior year.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 10-06-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    Huh, guess you don't really want to ski? Planning on getting after it post- college is a sucker bet, you won't even recognize yourself in 4+ years, and there's a good chance you'll be feeling some pressures you can't foresee now... .
    how old are you again?!?
    more to college than skiing and skiing can be had after.

I'll speak of that which I know.

McGill has some big positives.
    • Montreal is an outstanding place to spend 4 (or more years as an undergrad). Some supporting reasons for that statement: 18 yr old drinking age, great looking women, concerts, culture and night life, the opportunity to meet people from all over the globe. And a great opportunity to learn a second language well.
    • Northern VT skiing is as good as it gets in the Northeast and it is reasonably close.
    • It is highly regarded and has a great "novelty quotient" in the US grad school/job market.
    • Excellent faculty
    • Easy on Mom and Dad's check book.

Wherever you go remember its all about balance: learning, social life, skiing and navel gazing
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!