Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Hallucinogenics Thread

I was bored today so I spent my morning on Erowid.org researching hallucinogenics, namely salvia, morning glory and ayahuasca (in its numerous forms). Now, I had known about the majority of these before hand, but didn't realize how easily accessible they are.... so, how many of you have tried these 'legal' 'alternative' hallucinogens? Experiences, thoughts, comments, etc?

I tried Salvia once and wouldn't really recommend it. It kinda makes you feel like your going crazy for about 30 seconds and then wears off. Not really very fun. And if you do try it, make sure you aren't drunk or drinking because alcohol+salvia= bad mojo.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

There is a great article on some guy named Pinchbeck (or something like that) a couple issues back in Rollingstone who is supposedly the Tim Leary of modern times. The article spends quite a bit of time talking about your very question and in particular, ayahuasca. From what was written, its nothing I'd touch. But if you want to drink distilled earth, get a friend to babysit, wear a blindfold and have the craziest trip of your life...its the drug of choice.
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

Salvia is worth doing once. Not something that I can see really getting into too. But it is a pretty crazy trip. Just make sure you have a spotter and you'll be all good. It seems like a long time while you tripping, but the longest I think I've seen someone go for was maybe 20 minutes.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Meh - just eat shrooms. Good trip and not bad for you.

Mountain Gazette had an article on hayuasca in last months issue where the guy said that there are tons of local plants that have DMT in them. I am nothing of a botanist and all I could find were the scientific names. I know that acacia plants have it in them, as well as a lot of other plants that are easily (and legally) grown indoors.
    I like shrooms, I just can't ever seem to find them, which is partly why I'm looking for an alternative.

I also just found out that it's legal to buy and posess any type of mushroom spores... anybody every try to grow them? I know it itsn't easy.

Look up Iboga/Ibogaine

craziest 11 days I ever spent in central africa.....

actually, I don't I could ever do that shit....but read people's "trip reports" on that stuff...intense.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd View Post
    Look up Iboga/Ibogaine

craziest 11 days I ever spent in central africa.....

actually, I don't I could ever do that shit....but read people's "trip reports" on that stuff...intense.

The guy from Going Tribal on the Discovery channel took a trip on it. Afterwords you could tell he was seriously messed up the next day. He said it was like looking into every single action you've ever done from the eyes of another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm11 View Post
    I also just found out that it's legal to buy and posess any type of mushroom spores... anybody every try to grow them? I know it itsn't easy.
    While I myself have never done this, mind you, I can say you are correct. Or at least when when my friend did it it was legal to own, order and possess shroom spores(kinda like peyote, you can own the cactus but can't take or sell the buttons?). The growing is relatively simple and can be high yielding if you feel like making a minimal investment. The biggest upside(I have been told), if you don't mind the risk of a federal manufacture and distribution charges, is fresh shrooms. While slightly harder on the stomach(if you lean that way) they are stronger and somewhat cleaner than dried ones. http://www.shroomery.org has lots of info as well.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

tripping is fucking stupid. there, I said it.

^^^ I can understand if youve tried hallucinogenics before and it didnt sit well with you or you just had a bad experience and thats why you dont like them, but dont just say theyre stupid cause there is obviously meaning behind it all. I myself have not a whole lot of hallucinogenics, but have tried a few and researched them a lot.

I am a recreational pot smoker, but unlike a stereotypical stoner I dont sit in front of my tv watch stupid shit and eating ding dongs. I read, write, draw, paint, and every once in a while I do sports while on it (never skiing though).

Ive tried Salvia, Mushrooms, and Blue Lotus. The salvia was alright, just a fairly short 20 minute trip. Ive done it once and I wouldnt not recomend it to anyone, but if someone is gonna try it, please talk to people and research the web. That goes for all drugs.

Mushrooms was good. Ive only done it once aswell and luckily it was with the right people at the right time. All I can say for Mushrooms is do them while camping, trying them in the city would be fucked up. Its definetly a "connect with nature" type of drug.

Blue Lotus wasnt great at all. I was supposed to take all 6, but ended up only taking 3 to test it out and would add as needed but never added any. I didnt hallucinate, but it left me with a strange aura in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
    there is obviously meaning behind it all.
    That's awesomely funny.

Yes, I've tripped, quite a bit in my younger years. It doesn't make you smarter, or open your mind or any of that bullshit. It takes whatever atmosphere you're in at the time and amplifies it. It rewires your brain and makes you stupid. If you call that "opening your mind", then so be it. Huffing gasoline and sniffing paint can have the same effects.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Yes, I've tripped, quite a bit in my younger years. It doesn't make you smarter, or open your mind or any of that bullshit.
    It's obvious that they didn't open *your* mind

Seriously: for the most part, you get out what you put in. If you go in just wanting to get fucked up, you'll get fucked up. If you're open to something more and your environment is conducive, you might get it. (And you might not.)

Psychedelic drugs are probably the ultimate in subjective experience. I don't think they're a mystical door to a different universe -- but they do give you a strange, different, and sometimes wonderful or terrifying perspective on yourself and your place in reality.

I have a nice vial of 10x salvia here in my room

Its actually a nice, relaxing drug in low doses (non-extracted leaf) Makes you feel zoned out and reduces coordination to mildly drunk levels.

In extracted form, it transports me very strange places.
    Only 2 full blown trips:

1st. I though I was a shopping cart in front of a toy's r us store. Just sitting there chillin. Came off that part of the trip and staggered around drunkenly for the next 20min or so.

2nd. Was listening to some music with a heavy beat. Each end of the beat became a wall and I was flying between the two walls. Apparently I laughed like a madman for the whole 15 minutes or so but I wasnt aware I was laughing. After I realized I was in a room and had just done a drug, I just staggered around for a solid hour or so perceiving things a bit weird.

Its definetly not a party or fun drug, its a unique experience not for the feint of heart.

If you do it, get a trip sitter- mostly to make sure you don't keep the lighter lit because you will have no awareness of holding a lighter once the stuff kicks in.

My recommendation is to try some leaf first to get an idea of what the milder effects are and then move up to 10x extract when you are ready to trip balls.
    Last edited by nealric; 10-05-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    "Verily, my folly has grown tall in the mountains." - Fredrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    but they do give you a strange, different, and sometimes wonderful or terrifying perspective on yourself and your place in reality.
    I'd agree with that. However, that perspective is coming from a brain that isn't functioning properly, so you're only experiencing the effects of a faulty brain-read:stupid brain.

Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I have a nice vial of saliva .
    EEWWW....

That's awesomely funny.

Yes, I've tripped, quite a bit in my younger years. It doesn't make you smarter, or open your mind or any of that bullshit. It takes whatever atmosphere you're in at the time and amplifies it. It rewires your brain and makes you stupid. If you call that "opening your mind", then so be it. Huffing gasoline and sniffing paint can have the same effects.
    How much deeper can you go when you start at the edge of a puddle?

I'd agree with that. However, that perspective is coming from a brain that isn't functioning properly, so you're only experiencing the effects of a faulty brain-read:stupid brain
    Sure.....stupid by going to work, chatting with friends, paying your mortgage standards.

What's interesting is tearing down the automatic responses, leaving you there drooling trying to figure out why you do the things you do........and seeing those reasons reassemble themselves as the drugs wear off. If you've never gotten to that point, then you've only dabbled.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 10-05-2006 at 08:43 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    How much deeper can you go when you start at the edge of a puddle?
    Jump in the middle of the puddle, and enjoy free room and board for the rest of your life at the mental hospital. Good plan.

i enjoyed them....then. i'd be fcked now.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

What's interesting is tearing down the automatic responses, leaving you there drooling trying to figure out why you do the things you do........and seeing those reasons reassemble themselves as the drugs wear off. If you've never gotten to that point, then you've only dabbled.
    People like you who effectively drop your IQ in half by tripping and decide then to figure out life are abundant. You can't safely drive a car at that point, but all of the sudden have a "new" profound understanding of life. Sure, I don't doubt your sense of a new enlightenment, but don't expect me to think you're smart. There's dudes like you on every street corner of America waving crosses around and begging for change.

While I would never argue that hallucinogens will lead to a new profound understanding of life, I would say that if you are comparing it to dropping your IQ in half you really don't have a great understanding of what it is like to trip.

There are schizophrenics with genius IQs. Just because a brain is not functioning normally does not make it incapable of higher thought.
    "Verily, my folly has grown tall in the mountains." - Fredrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

I kind of agree with Brett, but i do think there's something there as well, maybe it's as simple as breaking down preconceived notions so that you can free your mind a little, I'm not sure.

I tripped a LOT back in the day and I had a great time mostly and learned a few things but finally I got so tired wired and depressed afterwards that I ended up giving it up except for the occasional unexpected shroom find from friends.

I'll tell you what, though, there were some times...holy shit we did some stuff that would make any generation proud or sickened, as they chose.

I don't agree that it makes you stupid, I just don't think it makes you any smarter either.

People like you who effectively drop your IQ in half by tripping and decide then to figure out life are abundant. You can't safely drive a car at that point, but all of the sudden have a "new" profound understanding of life. Sure, I don't doubt your sense of a new enlightenment, but don't expect me to think you're smart. There's dudes like you on every street corner of America waving crosses around and begging for change.
    "people like me?"

You should learn your audience before making assumptions.
    I'm keeping my mouth shut about suburban white kids who idolize tupac.

My IQ was fine enough to get me through a chemistry degree and and most of a grad engineering degree before changing paths with just a cunt's hair below a 4.0.....and it's fine enough now to allow me the math to figure out if a dam is going to collapse on your family.

So in that respect, blow me you ignoramous.

But I'll agree there are plenty of acid casulties out there. I know a few. But that comes from a pretty huge excess. A "feeling" of enlightment is your assumption however, not mine. It's not my fault you don't know how to pay attention to what's going on with your own thought processes under the influence. You're showing your stupidity if you think everyone who's done psychedelics is either broken or clueless.

I'll be glad to discuss it but you need to be willing to as well.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I kind of agree with Brett, but i do think there's something there as well, maybe it's as simple as breaking down preconceived notions so that you can free your mind a little, I'm not sure.

I tripped a LOT back in the day and I had a great time mostly and learned a few things but finally I got so tired wired and depressed afterwards that I ended up giving it up except for the occasional unexpected shroom find from friends.

I'll tell you what, though, there were some times...holy shit we did some stuff that would make any generation proud or sickened, as they chose.

I don't agree that it makes you stupid, I just don't think it makes you any smarter either.

I'm one of the camp that will never tell you something like acid is recreational. It's a bit of a commitment as you know but it can completely rip down who you are........why you fear shadows.......why you adopt certain styles of speech, clothes etc.. Look at some of the personal "freakouts" people have regarding parents, significant others, paths chosen in life........the drug doesn't give you that but it can amplify it like a motherfucker. Almost like lucid drunkness but more intense because you don't just pass out and forget it......you're stuck with it for a while. Whether you choose to give it significance once you're back on earth or not is up to you.

It sure as hell doesn't "make" you smarter but it can provide an avenue for awareness if you're willing to pay attention.

I certainly had some insights...some of which I carry around to this day and fully believe in. It would take too long to explain what I'm talking about. But the final insight was "enough" and that's when I quit.

I wish alcohol came with an "enough" switch that turned off your desire for it, that would be good.