Thread: Miracle

Thumbs up Miracle

Story of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team.

- two thumbs up... I'd like to find an unedited copy of the game versus the Soviet team

Viacheslav Fetisov who played for the Devils has been quoted as saying that was his worst moment in life...

just a tid bit...from Ski magazine

For the past two weeks, moviemakers have transformed Rossland's (southern B.C.) red-brick downtown for a staging of the U.S. Olympic hockey team's Miracle on Ice. Transplanting Lake Placid, N.Y., to southern B.C. may seema bit contrived but one look at Rossland's historic Columbia Avenue explains why the director chose the weathered mining town. Storefronts are camouflaged with Olympic logos, and empty lots have been flooded, frozen, then lined with national flags to imitate practice rinks.

another tid bit...my Mom & Dad were in Lake Placid for those Olympics...they weren't spectators of "The Miracle" but close enough - musta been cool

amazing stuff. the game itself isn't that remarkable, the accomplishment certainly is. look for it on espn classic, i've seen it many times, and i would expect more given the new movie. tretiak may be the best goalie of all time, too bad politics kept him out of the nhl and nobody knows who he is.

query about the movie, did they cover the absolute pounding the us team got from the russians two weeks before the olympics?

Originally posted by lifeisgood
    For the past two weeks, moviemakers have transformed Rossland's (southern B.C.) red-brick downtown for a staging of the U.S. Olympic hockey team's Miracle on Ice. Transplanting Lake Placid, N.Y., to southern B.C. may seema bit contrived but one look at Rossland's historic Columbia Avenue explains why the director chose the weathered mining town. Storefronts are camouflaged with Olympic logos, and empty lots have been flooded, frozen, then lined with national flags to imitate practice rinks.
    I was born in Saranac Lake, so I am a little bit offended that they shot the "Lake Placid" scenes in Canada. Of course, downtown Placid has changed a hell of a lot in the last 24 years, but still. This sucks.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Originally posted by bigAK
    query about the movie, did they cover the absolute pounding the us team got from the russians two weeks before the olympics?
    Yes they did... although not too in depth, it was certainly there.