Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

The Wire

"The Wire is the best show on television."
    -Just about every TV critic out there

So fucking good. And this season they're in Baltimore city schools.

Omar is awesome.

Discuss.

I am hopelessly addicted to this show. This year they get really heavy with exploring the cause of the problems in the ghetto. It should be one of the best seasons yet.

This has been on my list. I need to plow through season one on dvd or on demand. I've heard nothing but good things.

Wired

I am infatuated by this show. The only true cop show in a sea of popcorn Bullshit. CSI, Law and Order pander to our fairy tale desire for closure, justice and scientific evidence, as if saying, when you die by crime your life will be fought for with all this gizmos, DNA and hot agents.

The wire basically makes says fuck you to all of this, and gives us the embellished honesty that we deserve for the murder machine culture of the East Coast inner city. Ruled by drugs, money, city politics and violence, the culture of inner city failure is littered with meaningless drug/territory/money deaths that frankly very few people, minus the poh-lease want to dissect. We all know these people die over rivalries, for money, drugs, stature, for a corner, for a wad of cash.

Watching the Wire you realize why a murder in the city is what it is, and as long as the culture remains where soldiers take charges for the team, no amount of sentencing and jail time will matter.

I am hooked. Have plenty of back episodes to catch up on. Hopefully this will help fill the void left by the departure of Deadwood.

I was pissed that they killed that security guard last episode, just cause he stood up to Marlo. I am anxiously awaiting the moment when the cops discover Marlo's little shop of horrors behind that boarded up door. Hope they got some Fabreeze.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I was pissed that they killed that security guard last episode, just cause he stood up to Marlo.
    Marlo is not a nice person. I think few young, successful ghetto dons are.

In that scene where he takes the fat guy's ring for collatoral I became genuinely frightened. Again, Marlo=scary. Much more menacing than Avon Barksdale which I think was the writers' intentions- to one up their last cold-hearted crime don.

By the way- check out the writers for this season--> guys like George Pelecanos and Dennis Lehane. Sickter.

My favorite character this week is Prez.
    Last edited by biggins; 10-06-2006 at 07:30 PM.

I am fully addicted. I just moved and didnt hook up cable.... I need season 4....

Last night was the best episode yet. Prezbo is coming into his own as a teacher. It was pretty cool to see him begin to realize exactly what he is dealing with in his classroom. Teaching those kids is a tough job.

Still waiting for homicide to discover the houses full of bodies. What's your guess? 100+ bodies in there?

God, I can't wait for Mayor Royce to lose. He is all that is wrong with politics today. I wish he was over-dramatised, but I have a feeling that this is an accurate portrayal.

Tommy Carcetti is an awesome character. I loved his line last night to Delegate Watkins. I hope he does what he says, but in reality he will probably become jaded and corrupt. That seems to be the style of the show. I hope I am wrong.

This is the best season yet. Anyone who has not seen this show, rent the DVDs, you will not be disappointed.

When this show first cam on a few years ago I was not impressed. The whole street coner drug dealer thing was so Reaganesque.
    Now it has really come into its own. The charecters are so nuanced and believeable.
    I watched all this season last night.
    I heart HBO Direct.

Oh snap, Marlowe's got Omar in a tight spot. Go Omar, stay alive!

This week I'm hating on the Vice Principal for putting that kid in the corner like that. And how about that great parenting- I'm totally gonna put my 13yo kid on the corner slinging H to make the family some scratch. Lesson learned!

I watch this show onDemand, and I sense I may be a week ahead. What's up with that? Why would they put next week's show onDemand before it airs live?

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Oh snap, Marlowe's got Omar in a tight spot. Go Omar, stay alive!

This week I'm hating on the Vice Principal for putting that kid in the corner like that. And how about that great parenting- I'm totally gonna put my 13yo kid on the corner slinging H to make the family some scratch. Lesson learned!

I watch this show onDemand, and I sense I may be a week ahead. What's up with that? Why would they put next week's show onDemand before it airs live?
    This season premiered on OnDemand, so they probably are a week ahead. I don't know why they did it, but I don't get OnDemand for free with my cable company. Maybe it was HBO's way of getting people to bitch to Brighthouse. Not sure what they would get out of it, though. I have no desire to pay an extra 6.95 a month for this service.

So Daniels is gonna be Chief of Police, Pearlman's gonna be a DA, Greggs is kickin' ass...

Holy power shift. Are the good guys winning? Seems like an odd direction for the show to go in, but intriguing none-the-less.

Prez, again, is the man. Now if McNulty would just fall off the wagon...

Seriously, if you don't watch this show.. you ahh ri-tahdid.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    This season is infact insane, and when it ends, you're gonna be clawing and aching for the next season. (I've watched the whole thing already, if you need spoilers desperately, pm me.)
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    if you need spoilers desperately, pm me.
    Why you gotta do that to me? Its like offering a recovering addict free smack. You don't have any free smack do you?

Thanks though, but I'm gonna try to hold out and watch the episodes week to week. We'll see if I crack.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Why you gotta do that to me? Its like offering a recovering addict free smack. You don't have any free smack do you?

Thanks though, but I'm gonna try to hold out and watch the episodes week to week. We'll see if I crack.

Seriously- WTF. This week's repeat came as a bit of a shocker. I was all pissed that it was Sunday, dreading a rough week of work, when I remembered- "Oh yeah, The Wire is on tonight."
    I start scrolling through the HBO channels, getting ready to hit record as soon as the 10:00 time slot comes into view, and Wham! What the fuck is this? Elizabeth I or some shit is on in the 10 time slot. Must be on another channel. NO. It was on as a repeat at 12 pm, which I recorded anyway, just in case.

Don't go throwin' spoilers around here. I need something to look forward to on Sunday night.

I know I know, I wasn't gonna drop anything in here.
    I WILL say you're either gonna be pissed or psyched or going "HOLY SHIT WOOT!" at the end of the season.

It was a repeat because they're setting up for the second half of this season, honestly the first half has been very much of a sleeper, I hope you've all paid attention because alot of little details are gonna come into play.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

on ESPN.com no less:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab2pos1

Seriously, best show on tv.
    Last edited by biggins; 11-16-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Wow, and here I thought I had nothing in common with black athletes. Go figure.

Best show on TV- flat out. But, I can see how someone who has never seen it might not like it. The charater development is slow and steady. Those of us that have watched from the beginning see the subtle changes. Others wouldn't.

I would suggest renting the first seasons- if you are interested in what we are talking about.

Tonight was one of the best episodes ever. Love Carcetti. His management style is awesome."I need a location!"

Next week- Marlow's Little Shop of Horrors is uncovered. Can't wait. Think the co-op might be op'ing out of the Marlow business soon?

NEXT WEEK WILL ROCK.

Season Finale-d. I'm spent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Nothing touches this show on TV. Nothing. Not even close.

This is the most socially responsible piece of entertainment ever. Should be required viewing for all voting americans. Hell, halfway through this season I felt compelled to file my application with Boston public schools to teach next year.

In case you're not hearing my pleas for you all to watch- Method Man, the RZA and Raekwon all have cameos.

Never mind that an actual former Mayor of Baltimore who was vilified for calling for the legalization of drugs plays a mayorial advisor and a real life Baltimore drug kingpin from the 60s, 70s, and 80s plays the local deacon in the know. Just a couple of the killer quirks this masterpiece has to offer.

One last time (until next season), this is pop-art of the highest order. You do yourself a disservice by missing this show. [/soapbox]

Amazing show. Head and shoulders above the next best show out there (which is Deadwood IMO).

I have watched the first 3 seasons half a dozen times now and it is fascinating how every time I watch it I catch more and more things. The show, the plot and the characters are complex but not artificially so.

I spent an hour listening to an NPR show that talked about the Wire and what made it so real.

1. Creator was Baltimore police for 20+ years and busted large drug organizations (similar to Marlo characters), sometimes used a wire.
    2. Creator then spent years teaching in an inner city school.
    3. Some of the actors are not acting. They weren't film school or acting graduates, but local talent discovered in NYC and Baltimore.
    4. A crazy crew of writers.

The politics in the police department is great. Finally a drama that tries to shed an objective light on what happens inside a city police department.

As far as characters go, yes Omar is badass, though I think Marlo is a more interesting character. Too bad the show will be canceled after next season. It drives me nuts that HBO will spend time and effort on crap shows like Sopranos and Rome and not on the Wire. I guess its the product of most people not giving a shit what goes on in the inner city, and the tough life that 20% of this country lives in places like Baltimore, Camden and Newark. Ever time some right wing jerk tells me "Every citizen of this country has the same opportunities, its their fault for not taking advantage of them", i just reply "Go watch The Wire".
    Last edited by vano; 12-05-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vano View Post
    3. Some of the actors are not acting. They weren't film school or acting graduates, but local talent discovered in NYC and Baltimore.
    Like snoop. That woman was a banger growing up. Burns (the cop/teacher/show's creator) knew her from her brushes with the law.

Too bad the show will be canceled after next season.
    Really? For sure? I know HBO shows only have limited run potntial but I feel like they could go on making this show for ever. I guess anything gets stale after a while.

best show ever on television, bar none.
    amazing how my empathy and care for different charecters ebbs and flows.
    I have the 3rd and 4th season on DVD now at home (jah bless the NYC DVD pirates, the irony of buying a pirated copy of the Wire from a corner boy is well thick)
    wil be watching both again in coming weeks.
    how could they cancel this show?

1. Creator was Baltimore police for 20+ years and busted large drug organizations (similar to Marlo characters), sometimes used a wire.
    2. Creator then spent years teaching in an inner city school.
    4. A crazy crew of writers.
    wiki up major crime in Murdermore.
    Half of this show is based on real case files (that the creator worked on)