Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: The Wire

I feel like a sea captain rounding the horn for the fourth time- it feels just as fresh as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Man those fuckers at Amazon Prime removed the Fuzzy Dunlop scene from Ep. 8 season 4. WTF?? Love that scene. The comments on this clip are great.

Amazon's going in and editing stuff out? wtf that ain't right. And why this scene, anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Amazon's going in and editing stuff out? wtf that ain't right. And why this scene, anyways?
    I was wondering the same thing, and the only thing I can think of is that Dunlop revoked permission to use their name?

Usually any brand mention has to be cleared through legal in stuff like this, so maybe it was only a ten year use agreement?

Blind speculation on my part here.

I think maybe it has more to do with reducing server storage needs? I've seen this on other streaming services. My daughter used to watch Friends on Netflix, and she noticed that they edited out some scenes on the streaming versions vs. the TV reruns or the DVD set she now has. I can only think they pay somebody to go through shows and find scenes that could be edited without affecting the viewer's understanding of the plot. Fuzzy Dunlop is one of those scenes because as far as I know they never actually went through with the plan to use his photo and SS number. While a great scene and funny, it wasn't really necessary. I could be wrong about this--it could have been Dunlop not wanting their name used. But that doesn't really make any sense because what harm is it doing them, it's just free publicity for their product. (And as mentioned in the comments, it actually circles back to the microphone Herc and Carver hid in a tennis ball that eventually got run over by a truck in a previous season.)

You wonder if HBO isn't behind this, just to make some bad PR for Amazon Prime, now a competitor to HBO Max. They deliver a slightly flawed product to Amazon, which implies, hey, if you want the full, unedited Wire, you know where to go.

AT&T is destroying that brand. It's a shame to watch.

Marc Maron interviews Michael Williams, aka Omar.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...ael-k-williams
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-28-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think maybe it has more to do with reducing server storage needs? I've seen this on other streaming services. My daughter used to watch Friends on Netflix, and she noticed that they edited out some scenes on the streaming versions vs. the TV reruns or the DVD set she now has. I can only think they pay somebody to go through shows and find scenes that could be edited without affecting the viewer's understanding of the plot. Fuzzy Dunlop is one of those scenes because as far as I know they never actually went through with the plan to use his photo and SS number. While a great scene and funny, it wasn't really necessary. I could be wrong about this--it could have been Dunlop not wanting their name used. But that doesn't really make any sense because what harm is it doing them, it's just free publicity for their product. (And as mentioned in the comments, it actually circles back to the microphone Herc and Carver hid in a tennis ball that eventually got run over by a truck in a previous season.)
    Fuzzy Dunlop was the fictitious CI that resulted in Herc finally being fired from the force and taking a job as a PI, leading to the wire on Marlo, so knowing that it was BS from the beginning and that Herc continued to take the lazy route after going back to major Crimes is a pretty critical plot detail IMO. But character development alone is enough to know Herc is a fuckup.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Fuzzy Dunlop was the fictitious CI that resulted in Herc finally being fired from the force and taking a job as a PI, leading to the wire on Marlo, so knowing that it was BS from the beginning and that Herc continued to take the lazy route after going back to major Crimes is a pretty critical plot detail IMO. But character development alone is enough to know Herc is a fuckup.
    You're absolutely right, but it's not necessarily crucial to show that particular scene to get the point across that the CI was fake. But yeah, any time you cut a scene you are messing with the viewer's understanding of the plot. Some of those Friends episodes that have scenes cut that are totally crucial to understanding. Lame.

Herc is an interesting character on The Wire. Kind of easy to think of him as a doofus and overlook his importance, but as you point out, some of the little things he does play a crucial role in what happens. He's a great character.

Cutting scenes out of the wire is ironic.
    “All the pieces matter.”

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Cutting scenes out of the wire is ironic.
    “All the pieces matter.”
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    It was the camera that Marlo stole that got Herc fired, because it was PD property. The mic hidden in the Dunlop was bought privately and just cost he and Carver a few hundo when it got run over.

Herc is an interesting character on The Wire. Kind of easy to think of him as a doofus and overlook his importance, but as you point out, some of the little things he does play a crucial role in what happens. He's a great character.
    Yeah, I'm not sure it's fair to call Herc a fuckup. Sure, he regularly bent the rules and took shortcuts, but so did everyone else in the department, even Lester. Let's also remember that the reason Herc made sergeant was because he walked in on the mayor getting blown in his office.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Word
    x2
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-02-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Fuzzy Dunlop is one of those scenes because as far as I know they never actually went through with the plan to use his photo and SS number. While a great scene and funny, it wasn't really necessary. I could be wrong about this--it could have been Dunlop not wanting their name used. But that doesn't really make any sense because what harm is it doing them, it's just free publicity for their product. (And as mentioned in the comments, it actually circles back to the microphone Herc and Carver hid in a tennis ball that eventually got run over by a truck in a previous season.)
    So how much is Cast Away ruined when Wilson takes away the use of the volleyball?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

RIP Michael K Williams.

Omar’s Comin!

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Debuted 20 years ago today

Wish that the Wire could get a good reboot it was sooo great. Maybe Mcnulty as Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Wish that the Wire could get a good reboot it was sooo great. Maybe Mcnulty as Mayor
    Check out David Simon's latest project, We Own This City: https://www.vulture.com/article/davi...interview.html

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but it's David Simon, there's no doubt it's fucking awesome. I'd also recommend just re-watching The Wire. I did a few years ago and other than the flip phones and CRT monitors it still felt fresh AF. It was almost better knowing what was going to happen since I picked up on so much that I missed the first time.

We Own This City is a great watch.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Part of me thinks this show is ripe for a modern reboot. It could be amazing. Bezos should buy the rights, put it on Prime and give Simon all the budget he wants and complete creative control. On the other hand, almost nothing has fundamentally changed since the show ended in 2008. Sure, smartphones and social media have permeated society, but that's mostly window dressing, so there's no reason to redo it.
    We own this city?

Rewatched all of it this winter. Agreed it still stands up. Funny to watch them talk about this new technology called text messages.

And yes - remembering the background helped me pick up on a lot more of the story this time through.

started watching we own this city on ep 3
    it's good but it's the wire version 2 kinda already been done you know? same exact shit but different
    the plot is the same as the wire but the characters and story keep me interested

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    We own this city?
    Hah, I had completely forgotten about that post.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    started watching we own this city on ep 3
    it's good but it's the wire version 2 kinda already been done you know? same exact shit but different
    the plot is the same as the wire but the characters and story keep me interested
    Except The Wire is fiction inspired by real events. We Own This City is an honest-to-God true story. In that Vox interview I posted Simon says that a lot of the dialogue is verbatim from transcripts of court proceedings and wiretaps.

Finished We Own This City last night. Pretty awesome, a worthy successor to The Wire. Crazy fucking story.

If only "End the War on Drugs" had been the 2020 protest slogan instead of "Defund the police."

Interesting article about the guy who was the inspiration for the character Bird in The Wire.

https://theathletic.com/5173667/2024...mpaign=8649714

Interesting article about the guy who was the inspiration for the character Bird in The Wire.

https://theathletic.com/5173667/2024...mpaign=8649714
    Per David Simon's Twitter, this article is false. He states, "Nothing in The Wire is based on this gentleman."
    Sorry to ruin a fun article.