Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Wire

much like the westerns, the biggest baddest gunslingers are taken down but nobodies/shot in the back, etc.
    and that kids first appearance was actually in season 3 or 4, he was arguing that HE wanted to be Omar, when playing with a bunch of kids....
    and its on in the next episode, cant wait to get home...

Looks like EP 9 just popped up on line

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1199037

think mcnulty's going down? i'm thinking that they will make a big bust, maybe chris and snoop for the row house bodies and mcnulty will take the opportunity to come clean to Daniels. It would be funny to see mcnulty hand daniels a mess one last time before the show is over, like he has so many times already. Daniels will bury it because everybody is happy, mayor has his issue to run on(despite not finding the homeless killer) and his crime stats with the bust, and police finally get their overtime. but daniels will also be through with mcnulty's surprises and will force him out quietly.

what do you think?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Interesting to see if McNulty goes down. Maybe he and Freeman will take a hit for creating the serial killer scheme. Folks in the dept are starting to figure out what’s going on. Did you see that one cop twist McNulty’s arm to get a few cops for (surveillance I think) while he went golfing for the weekend?

Either way, I don’t think Daniels could bury this if it blew up. Politically, the mayor would probably have both of their assess for pulling that scheme. I saw the previews for next week and there are two episodes left, so I suspect there will be a lot of action in the final two episodes.

Wonder of chris or snoop will get one next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jSki View Post
    Looks like EP 9 just popped up on line

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1199037
    Watch it, watch it now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigairnbumps View Post

Wonder of chris or snoop will get one next week.
    One left, bummer.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

The show was a real good one. Big bust and a big hit on snoop. I've been wondering though, with just one (1hr) episode left, how the heck they plan on pulling all the loose story ends together.

Any thoughts?

Its my favorite show for sure..I was just telling my wife last night that this show is second only to Deadwood a my favorite show of all.My question is , How did Lester figure out about the clocks meaning..Have you guys figured out what the meaning of the clocks was..He went to the map to find out the grids, but I don't know hoe the clocks related to the map grid..I will FKNA miss this show..Maybe The Shield will pop back up soon..Another of my favs

Lee
    Last edited by LeeC; 03-03-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Its my favorite show for sure..I was just telling my wife last night that this show is second only to Deadwood a my favorite show of all.My question is , How did Lester figure out about the clocks meaning..Have you guys figured out what the meaning of the clocks was..He went to the map to find out the grids, but I don't know hoe the clocks related to the map grid..I will FKNA miss this show..Maybe The Shield will pop back up soon..Another of my favs

Lee
    Second hand indicated the map book page, minute and hour hands were lat/long.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post

Lee
    Lester didn't figure it out totally on his own. The young guy working with him keyed on the map gimmick, and then Lester put the rest of the pieces together with the second hand's meaning. It was 2 episodes back, I think.

Sunday's episode will be 93 minutes long. While I confess to being a bit dissapointed in this season overall, the loss of this series at 10:33, Sunday night will hit hard. I'm pretty sure "Gossip Girl" ain't gonna fill the void.

It does suck to lose it, but David Simon has done a lot of great stuff and I doubt he is just going to hang up his spurs when The Wire is done.

SUnday sunday sunday

While the Wire may indeed be the best show on television for its well-nuanced portrayal of certain characters, it reeks of utterly hopeless pessimism. So much so, that it almost comes off as entirely self-indulgent. David Simon could have redeemed some of this pessimism with the last episode. He didn't. This season certainly entertained: a successful, gripping drama that ultimately added nothing to the public discourse. Meh.
    Last edited by mojorisin; 03-08-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    While the Wire may indeed be the best show on television for its well-nuanced portrayal of certain characters, it reeks of utterly hopeless pessimism. So much so, that it almost comes off as entirely self-indulgent. David Simon could have redeemed some of this pessimism with the last episode. He didn't. This season certainly entertained: a successful, gripping drama that ultimately added nothing to the public discourse. Meh.
    wha?
    its reality for a carappy part of a broken city. He started and focussed on an overlooked segment of society
    no hope?
    Bubbles finally being comfortable being clean?!?
    Namon debating looking college bound...
    the reporter doing a story on Bubbles,
    the scamartist at the sun about to get busted.
    people realizing thier mistakes?

the drug war, the schools, the political system, the media. they are all broken, but they are overcome.
    thats reality and well depicted here.

you want optiism or stories about the monied doing well>?
    watch the real housewives of Manhattan

The finale (it's available for download if you look in the right places) is very well done.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about how you think it's going to play out.

As for the pessimism endemic to the show... as the cliche bumper sticker says, "If you aren't upset, you aren't paying attention."

Or as Thomas Hobbes put it, "The life of man is nasty, brutish, and short."

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post

Or as Thomas Hobbes put it, "The life of man is nasty, brutish, and short."
    I prefer the Dolomite quote "Ain't nothin' but a muthah' fuck!"

Also, DTM, Simon's next project (for HBO) will feature the actor who plays the mayor's top advisor (the black, gavel-y voiced fellow) as a jazz musician living in New Orleans. Hope springs eternal...

Trust me Woodsy, I’m all for realism, maybe even too much. There’s far too much depiction of life as fairytale in popular media. I admire Simon for bringing reality to television, but his version of reality seems very much one-sided. By focusing almost entirely on the criminal element of inner city life, Simon effectively ignores the lives of many lower income families who have to constantly struggle to live a “decent” life amidst all the drugs and violence. Sure, there is some mention of decency, but Simon places most of his fatalistic focus on the negative with little-to-no positive recourse for any of the problems that he presents.

Check out Elijah Anderson’s “Code of the Street: Decency, Violence, and the Moral Life of the Inner City” for what I think is a much better nuanced version of inner city “reality”.

What you're describing isn't a problem with the pessimism he's conveying, you're upset that he chose to convey something that is by its very nature so pessimisstic.

Having a problem with the way something is conveyed is very different than having a problem with the subject matter that is being conveyed.

And anyone who takes The Wire to be "reality" is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    What you're describing isn't a problem with the pessimism he's conveying, you're upset that he chose to convey something that is by its very nature so pessimisstic.

Having a problem with the way something is conveyed is very different than having a problem with the subject matter that is being conveyed.

And anyone who takes The Wire to be "reality" is an idiot.
    You're completely missing the point. I laud Simon's choice of subject matter, I just don't entirely agree with the way he chose to present it. The Wire leaves very much out of context, which can potentially create very narrow-minded conceptions of the "reality" which he tries to portray.

I agree with you that people should not base their conception of reality solely on what they leech from the popular media, but an overwhelming majority unfortunately does. Calling most everyone an idiot not only renders you as an elitist douchebag, but more importantly, an even bigger idiot than everyone else.

Great show, was sad to see it go.

Nothing too exotic for a finale either, just typical "Wire" fashion. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    I agree with you that people should not base their conception of reality solely on what they leech from the popular media, but an overwhelming majority unfortunately does. Calling most everyone an idiot not only renders you as an elitist douchebag, but more importantly, an even bigger idiot than everyone else.
    Just because a lot of people do something stupid doesn't make it wise. Which is basically what you just said.

I won't apologize for having personal intelligence standards that leave a lot of people in the 'idiot' column.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    wha?
    no hope?
    Bubbles finally being comfortable being clean?!?
    Namon debating looking college bound...
    the reporter doing a story on Bubbles,
    the scamartist at the sun about to get busted.
    people realizing thier mistakes?
    You forgot Cheese getting popped. Brought a smile to my face anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You forgot Cheese getting popped. Brought a smile to my face anyway.
    That made me disturbingly happy too. I had to reassure my wife when we watched it- "Method Man is a good dude and he's still alive I promise. Cheese is fictional and he was evil."

and while he was laying on the ground after he was shot in the head, the camera showed his thumb and fingers still twitching on his hand. that was a pretty raw shot.

looks like the house of cards fell on the police with that unlawful search and seizure from the cell phone wire tap. stanfield walked and they got a little lucky with the deal they cut since they had dirt on stanfield's laywer - that DA had some leverage to negotiate a deal.