Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA mags: what should I do in/around Monterey? (NSR)

I have a window of free time after a conference from about 6 p.m. on a Wednesday (10/11) until I have to be back at the Monterey airport, about 1:45 p.m. on Friday. I haven't booked lodging for the extra days yet so that's flexible for Wed/Thurs nights.

A great hike and a great place to stay/have dinner in wine country or other suggestions would be terrific. I will already have gone to a party at the aquarium, hiked some protected areas of Big Sur and taken a short tour of "sustainable" vineyards (yep, they call this "work") and I'm not interested in fisherman's wharf/touristy stuff. I've spent lots of time in SF so I don't want to drive up there. I won't be able to travel with a bike.

Your ideas, please & thank you!
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

David Bruce Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains. MMMMmmmmmmm....

(edit)

21439 Bear Creek Road
    Los Gatos, California 95033
    United States
    p.408-354-4214
    f.408-395-5478
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I grew up there.

Too bad you won't have a bike -- lots of good road riding and mtn biking there. I don't know if anyplace there rents decent bikes, but if they do, I can give you some recommendations on where to ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

if the weather is decent, rent a sea kayak and go out on the bay - sea otters rock!

oh, and the bar at the hyatt is pretty good too...

Venture to some wineries in Carmel Valley.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

3.5 hours to Napa or Sonoma. Tons of places to stay, hike, bike etc.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Carmel is super cute. I will try to remember the name of the place where my fam stays when we go there and pass the info on plus some recommendations on where to eat. My uncle has a small winery in Carmel Valley with some delish stuff. They do tasting at a little roadside cafe.

We shall talk this weekend.
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

A day beating up fast cars at Laguna Seca race school?

Carmel is beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Pebble Beach

^^^ Is expensive and that's about it.

Go to Pt. Lobos and take a hike near the ocean. Rent scuba gear and go diving in the bay.

Wineries in Carmel Valley, hike in Garland Ranch park (call 372-3196 for a permit to the back area.

Go back down to big sur, hang a left just before the bixby bridge and drive old coast road. sit on the couch and watch the ocean.
    Elvis has left the building

I know you said no touristy stuff, but there is a great white at the Monterey Bay Aquarium right now....kinda cool to check out, I was there a few weeks ago.... He's about 5' 7"...

David Bruce winery I would definitely recommend, also Soquel Vineyard has some quality wines in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Check out Pfeiffer beach if you go into Big Sur at all...absolutely gorgeous...

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77
    Pebble Beach
    Always a nice drive.

Ditto Point Lobos

Aquarium is always worth a second look. I didn't think I would be that interested but I was there for hours. Point Lobos is just south and definitely worth some time...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

monterey and carmel are kinda tourist traps, especially on weekends - i would avoid. i know a few drive into "secret spots" for car camping off the 1 south of big sur that will blow yer mind view-wise. my favorite is just past sand dollar beach, about 1 hour south of big sur. pm me and i can give you specifics on how to get there.

we usually hit it on OCT as well, indian summer, perfect weather, set up a sweet car camp next to a big old oak tree about 2000 feet above the sea with a panoramic view of the pacific....set up the little webber, crack open the cooler...you get the idea. good surf, hiking, biking and general camp site laziness to be had at that spot
    Last edited by freshies; 09-21-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230
    if the weather is decent, rent a sea kayak and go out on the bay - sea otters rock!
    i second this

edit; ill ask my friend later for things to do too. he went to school there

Quote Originally Posted by freshies
    i know a few drive into "secret spots" for car camping off the 101 south of big sur that will blow yer mind view-wise. my favorite is just past sand dollar beach, about 1 hour south of big sur.
    Off the 101?

Quote Originally Posted by mmcpheet
    Off the 101?
    doh, typo - the one is what i meant: PCH

What I figured, though I've often wondered if there were access roads to the west of 101 between paso and king city, seems to be some remote hills back there.

Where is the best place to see white sharks?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    Where is the best place to see white sharks?
    Sit on a surf board off Santa Cruz. There are a lot of great whites off most of California, and more all the time with the increase in marine mammals. I heard towing a surf board behind a boat is a great lure for GWs.

A visit to the Aquarium is always worth while in my book. If you have a decent rental car, a drive down the twisties of Big Sur is fun. There are nice hikes into the coast redwood just south of Carmel. Rent a bike and ride the 17 mile drive. It is not worth driving, but it is a nice bike ride.

This place rules:

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/

Great hiking and the chance of seeing a California Condor. They're absolutely massive.

"Pinnacles National Monument, located near the San Andreas Fault along the boundary of the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, is an excellent example of tectonic plate movement. The Pinnacles Rocks are believed to be part of the Neenach Volcano that occurred 23 million years ago near present-day Lancaster, California, some 195 miles (314 km) southeast. The giant San Andreas Fault split the volcano and the Pacific Plate crept north, carrying the Pinnacles. The work of water and wind on these erodible volcanic rocks has formed the unusual rock structures seen today."

Essentially Pinnacles was split in half. The other half is near Joshua Tree. Super cool.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by mmcpheet
    What I figured, though I've often wondered if there were access roads to the west of 101 between paso and king city, seems to be some remote hills back there.
    Not much open to the public in HunterLigget. Cachagua (up carmel valley rd. aways) has a few sideroads.... but locals there like their privacy.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Not much open to the public in HunterLigget. Cachagua (up carmel valley rd. aways) has a few sideroads.... but locals there like their privacy.
    Prince's Camp...a little slice of eastern Tennetucky, right here in CA.

The reason there are no roads there is because the Ventana Wilderness is between the coast and the 101. Nacimiento-Ferguson is the first road that goes across, and then there's a little more wilderness south of it.

I vote Carmel. Yeah, there will be some tourists, but you could stay in a nice quiet b&b style hotel, sleep in, go to a winery, walk along the beach, have a nice lunch on an outdoor patio, and then go to a nice late dinner. I haven't been there in a while so specific places are a bit sketchy for me, but there are tons of great places to eat and stay.
    Last edited by skier666; 09-21-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    This place rules:

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/

Great hiking and the chance of seeing a California Condor. They're absolutely massive.

"Pinnacles National Monument, located near the San Andreas Fault along the boundary of the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, is an excellent example of tectonic plate movement. The Pinnacles Rocks are believed to be part of the Neenach Volcano that occurred 23 million years ago near present-day Lancaster, California, some 195 miles (314 km) southeast. The giant San Andreas Fault split the volcano and the Pacific Plate crept north, carrying the Pinnacles. The work of water and wind on these erodible volcanic rocks has formed the unusual rock structures seen today."

Essentially Pinnacles was split in half. The other half is near Joshua Tree. Super cool.
    pinnacles is a cool place, and there's some decent rock climbing to be had there.