Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ski etiquette rant

An incident happened at Las Leñas a few days ago and I wanted to post here for my own therapy as well as for others to comment.

We skinned over to a run called Manhattan. We were a group of 4. As we were about to drop him, this guy shows up and proceeds to pee in front of the 3 girls. I think he could very easily walked 5 feet or turn his back to the girls. Anyways, that isn't my rant but just an added tidbit.

We each skied the first pitch to get in and then group up in a safe spot and I describied to the others what to expect for the rest of the run. Just as the first of our group was about to drop in, the same tool came skiing down over us and tried to pass us. At that point my wife, started skiing and made sure she was in front of him. Once we all safely skied thru the chute I caught up to the retard and asked him what language he spoke. He said English, but that he didn't want to talk to me. I began to ask him if he thought that was acceptable to ski on top of us, in a backcountry environment, etc. He keep responding, "go away, have a nice day." He must have said that like 30 times, like a little 5 year old in the sand box.

Anyways, his friend was wating at the bottom and wouldn't listen to us either. These guys are in their 50's and are from Aspen.

My wife tried talking to them about proper backcountry ethic and the tool responded, "you are a girl, and I am a guy, and you shouldn't even be talking to me".

For the record, there wasn't a high avie danger, it was spring conditions and our timing was good. This area has frequent rockfall danger, something these yahoos I am sure aren't aware of.

We have since scene them around the resort and the stare at us and smirk.

Anyways, here is a picture of the Manhattan area. The Manhattan couliour is the middle chute. Soho is on the left. Manhatta Chico is on the right.

I am anxious to hear what you all thnk about this situation.
    Last edited by enlosandes; 09-20-2006 at 08:49 AM.

Wow, what an asshole. Did you take a picture of them? If so, post it up, and we'll see if we can spot them in Aspen.

Morons are sometimes unavoidable, and always unteachable. Let them pass. Pray one doesn't kill you or your partners. Don't let their presence ruin your day.

agreed with the all the above. whatta asshole. Too bad you don't have a picture, the Asspen mafia runs deep here.
    Last edited by lemon boy; 09-20-2006 at 08:53 AM.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

You should definitely post a pic if you get/have one. This is a small town and someone is bound to spot him.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I second The Suit on this one. It's similar to a road rage incident. Let them by, don't look them in the eye....etc. They're assholes and that's just the way they'll always be.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes
    An incident happened at Las Leñas a few days ago and I wanted to post here for my own therapy as well as for others to comment.

We skinned over to a run called Manhattan. We were a group of 4. As we were about to drop him, this guy shows up and proceeds to pee in front of the 3 girls. I think he could very easily walked 5 feet or turn his back to the girls. Anyways, that isn't my rant but just an added tidbit.

We each skied the first pitch to get in and then group up in a safe spot and I describied to the others what to expect for the rest of the run. Just as the first of our group was about to drop in, the same tool came skiing down over us and tried to pass us. At that point my wife, started skiing and made sure she was in front of him. Once we all safely skied thru the chute I caught up to the retard and asked him what language he spoke. He said English, but that he didn't want to talk to me. I began to ask him if he thought that was acceptable to ski on top of us, in a backcountry environment, etc. He keep responding, "go away, have a nice day." He must have said that like 30 times, like a little 5 year old in the sand box.

Anyways, his friend was wating at the bottom and wouldn't listen to us either. These guys are in their 50's and are from Aspen.

My wife tried talking to them about proper backcountry ethic and the tool responded, "you are a girl, and I am a guy, and you shouldn't even be talking to me".

For the record, there wasn't a high avie danger, it was spring conditions and our timing was good. This area has frequent rockfall danger, something these yahoos I am sure aren't aware of.

We have since scene them around the resort and the stare at us and smirk.

Anyways, here is a picture of the Manhattan area. The Manhattan couliour is the middle chute. Soho is on the left. Manhatta Chico is on the right.

I am anxious to hear what you all thnk about this situation.

Holy shit, were they skiing with a girl that rips?

That sucks by the way......we really do have an awesome community here.
    Last edited by Lloyd Braun; 09-20-2006 at 08:59 AM.

I'm willing to bet that the guys weren't really from Aspen. They might own a timeshare there or something, but they're probably from New Jersey or something. Sounds like typical Hunter Mtn. clientelle behavior to me.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Ditto all of the above. What a dick.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Aspen folks can be really odd ducks - the place is truly a melting pot of wierdness - hard to paint everyone with the same brush as the place contains the gammut from ski bums to growers to baristas to ultra-riich.

Even the mellow ski bums get a bit wierded out after dealing with some of the rich dicks in town and it can lead to the type of behavior that you describe.

Since they were 50ish, they are probably afflicted with what I call the "local-er than though syndrome", which can lead to the type of sanctimonius behavior that you describe.

This summer, while riding a local uphill mountain bike climb (Smuggler) a guy was running down the road and gave me a forearm shiver even though I had the right of way - I turned around and accosted him to let him know that I had right of way - he put his hand on my shoulder and in a thick southern accent profusely apologized - just shows that sometimes people do jackass things.

Get their names for me and I will harrass them this winter if possible.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

They probably "own" a house in Aspen but spend most of their year in Dallas, LA or New York. But, they just loooove to tell people they are "from" Aspen. I met a lot of those when I lived there...

I will try to snap a photo and get a name. I think the thing that bothers me the most (besides the girl comment) is they wouldn't even listen to our gripe. We ski here all season and know how big these slopes are. This isnt like skiing at a ski resort, it is more like lift assisted backcountry skiing.

this guy shows up and proceeds to pee in front of the 3 girls. I think he could very easily walked 5 feet or turn his back to the girls.
    Oh my......
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I will try to snap a photo and get a name. I think the thing that bothers me the most (besides the girl comment) is they wouldn't even listen to our gripe. We ski here all season and know how big these slopes are. This isnt like skiing at a ski resort, it is more like lift assisted backcountry skiing.
    good point but were these guys skiing with a girl?

Just fucking punch the guy.

What a fucktard.

J. you obviously have the patience of a saint not to have dropped him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

See, there are three kinds of people:
    Dicks, pussies and assholes.
    Pussies think everyone can get along and dicks just wanna fuck all the time without thinking it through.
    But then you got your assholes, Chuck.
    And all the assholes want is to shit all over everything.
    So pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while because pussies get fucked by dicks.
    But dicks also fuck assholes, Chuck.
    And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get?
    You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit.

But I (also) have to agree with The Suit. It is fucking frustrating when people do shit like that in-bounds, but in uncontrolled areas not only is it rude, it is stupid and dangerous.

Lloyd, if it was you why don't you just fess up already?

Quote Originally Posted by homerjay
    Lloyd, if it was you why don't you just fess up already?

I wish I was in Las Lenas right now. I am sitting in my home in Aspen waiting for it to warm up outside.

The world if full of assholes, and they were two of them. Beating the shit out of them would be a good option, other wise stay as far away as possible. Luckily it was a low avi day, but if it weren't, and they were obviously clueless, their action couls have easily triggered something and buried one of your group, while they would have just skied away, or worse expect you to did out their sorry asses.

Quote Originally Posted by smolakian
    They probably "own" a house in Aspen but spend most of their year in Dallas, LA or New York.
    I vote for the former, because these guys sound like they put the "ass" in both Dallass and Asspen.

You should've just teased him while he was whizzing. "Put that away -- oh wait, you already did, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad
    IYou should've just teased him while he was whizzing. "Put that away -- oh wait, you already did, right?"
    aaahahhahahahahah you call that a penis? ahahahahhahahah would've been great
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

In emergancy situations, when your voice can't be heard, it's always good to have a flare gun... Then you can really say, "What a couple of FLAMING ASSHOLES!"

Definitly get pics and post!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

next time you see the clown around the resort with his buddies, have one of your ladies say "hey man, you pee'd in front of me the other day. sorry about your penis"
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller