Oak Mountain For Sale - Upstae New York

This is the area where I learned to ski. Oak Mountain is located in Speculator, New York in Hamilton county, inside the Adirondack Park, not far from Gore Mountain.

They want $2.4 Million for 300 acres. It is great property. The ski area owners haven't made the greatest business decisions and they haven't had good luck with weather. They have snow making now but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Last winter over Christmas break they got some snow but the cat was out of commission.

If we get 1000 people to each put up $2,400 we could keep this little gem of upstate New York going! It sounds like a perfect task for a bunch of Maggots. We could even rename it Maggot Mountain!

I am in for a share!

Here is the description from the web site:
    OAK MOUNTAIN SKI CENTER is the family ski area. We have LOW prices, 14 trails, a quad chair, 2 T-bars, tubing area, night skiing, lessons, ski and snowboard rentals, cafeteria, and base building with a cafeteria, restaurant and bar, everything you and your family want. There are trails for every level of skier and they all end at the base area so no one can get lost. We have a friendly, family atmosphere , no glitz or glamour, just plain fun.

Oak Mountain Ski Center Statistics:
    Summit Elevation: 2,400'
    Vertical Drop: 650'
    Average Annual Snowfall: 120"
    Trails: 11
    Lifts: 3
    Snowmaking: 65%
    Night Skiing: yes

Trail Map:

Here is the mountain web site:
    http://www.oakmtski.com/

Here is some press on it:

Oak Mountain is for sale; hopes to open for skiing this winter

By PETE KLEIN

Staff Reporter

With Oak Mountain and Oak Mountain Ski Center up for sale, the Hamilton County Industrial Development Agency (IDA) is taking a wait-and-see approach on the future of the ski center.

When the IDA met in Lake Pleasant Thursday, Sept. 7, Chairman Brian Towers said he and Hamilton County Board of Supervisors Chairman William Farber had spoken with Oak Mt. owners Norman and Nancy Germain earlier in the week on the status of the ski center and the rumors circulating about it.

Towers said Oak Mountain and the ski center there are listed for sale and, “The IDA has no objection to the sale.”

Oak Mt is currently listed two different ways by Long Lake Real Estate for an asking price of $2.4 million. The property is listed both as a ski center with building and equipment on 263 acres, and as vacant land of 300 acres.

Under the vacant land listing, the Long Lake Real Estate web page states: “Zoned in the Hamlet. Half-acre lots to five-acre lot minimums available per the Adirondack Park Agency. Investors and developers take advantage of this opportunity to subdivide this land. Currently operating ski mountain, the new owner can forgo the operation of the mountain and take advantage of the assets there for subdividing.”

The IDA went briefly into executive session to discuss the ski center’s finances but no action was taken.

Good news came later during a telephone conversation with Norm Germain, who said he is hoping to open the mountain for skiing this winter and is negotiating to lease out the restaurant operation.

The plan to open the ski center, Germain said, is dependent upon gaining some control over the cost of doing business. In addition to two years of uncooperative winter weather, insurance and energy costs have made profitability difficult.

650 vert?

good luck talking any maggots into buying that.....

I'd love to own a ski mountain. Even that one...
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    650 vert?

good luck talking any maggots into buying that.....
    and that ski marked trails only sign would have to go.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I would say that the owners' worst decision was building/buying a resort with 650' vert that's close to no major population centers, gets only 120" snow, and faces due South. Other than that, I can't see anything that would stand in the way of success. To wit:

Oops - Should Have Brought the Compass

I learned to ski at a place like this. These places are important to keeping this skiing thing going. I know for sure that if not for West Mountain being four minutes from my house growing up, I would not be a skier today. I'm not buying any shares in Oak because I can't. But I hope somebody keeps it going whether it sucks compared to Whistler or not.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

There'll be alot more like it turning up shortly... and bigger ones too
    Elvis has left the building

cool little spot, years ago we went there as sort of a do nothing day, in a good winter. first run we duck into the trees, findings great snow and open woods. then we see some little 10 foot drops in succession around this waterfall, good stuff.

the ski patrol asked us to leave because it was a family area and no woods skiing was allowed.

small as hell, but the area is nice , has a throwback feel to it.

i'm hoping we get some snow this season, touring the now closed hickory and catching it the mornng after a 2 foot dump wuld be sweet.

ended up selling for about $400,000.00 not a bad discount off retail. new owner just sold the cell tower that came with the ski area for $700,000.00

and thats how you get a free ski area.

yep.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    ended up selling for about $400,000.00 not a bad discount off retail. new owner just sold the cell tower that came with the ski area for $700,000.00

yep.

Smells like a free boat.

yep.
    Jeepers, Sounds like they'll have quite a cozy cottage on Lake Pleasant.

is this upstate???

Maybe we can convince the owner of Song/Labrador ski centers in CNY to buy this. We could use more terrain ?
    I've spent most of my life skiing and fly fishing. The rest I have just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    is this upstate???
    No, its UPSTAE,
    Southern Adirondacks.

yep.
    If this is true that is baller af.