Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Lego and I are interested in the Silverton deal on Thursday the 29th. We're also extreeeemely interested in the rad looking hut with the sic hot tub. In fact, why not make an experience out of it and skin in, eh? I have to read the details in this thread, but count on us for now.

Whohoo! Thanks peoples.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    I might have missed it since i have been working on this damned ski industry thesis of mine since 9 this am, but how much is it going to cost for Silverton?
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Squatch Guest
    damn...maybe i should change my plans and attend the SW CO summit after all.

Quote Originally Posted by dk_alaskan View Post
    I might have missed it since i have been working on this damned ski industry thesis of mine since 9 this am, but how much is it going to cost for Silverton?
    $99........
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Hopefully this post will stem the steady stream of PMs, all asking the same questions reagrding access, cost, terrain, etc. feel free to pm if it does not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plakespear
    I'm interested in staying at the huts. Is the T-ride place easily acessible to Telluride ski area? I'm a total backcountry JONG, so I'd want to ski lift acessed terrain.

I JUST EMAILED THIS MESSAGE, WHICH SHOULD ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS...
    It is definitely a spot to check out. so hot. the beauty of the spot is that you can access it right out the baldy gate at t-ride, so transport time can be as little as about 45 minutes from town, riding lifts, dropping in, and then traversing across one of the lakes up there. crazy... if you don't have a pass to access the mountain, it is around a 8 mile uphill skin. HAH! we'll have a few sleds to shuttle people, gear, and booze... in which case, from town, you have to drive about 25 minutes, unload and load up the sleds, and then it is about a 15/20 minute sled in. either way, minimal access issues except the dark, for sure under two hours relaxed-style from town. it is a pretty confusing area during the day, to say nothing of once night falls.

((asking about space and cost)) in all truth, the best thing that could happen is to get as many heads up there as possible because it is pretty taxed, probably about 450 for the night. that sounds like a lot but is not too crazy because we should be able to easily muster 15 people, which makes it 30 bucks a night and there are beds for that many and tons and tons of couch and floor space. i have buddies in t-ride who will come up for sure so we don't really even need to find that many folks off the boards. depending on snow, we usually head up around noon, get settled in, maybe a short tour or huck the trestle for the afternoon, and then party like rockstars, chill in the sauna and soaking tub, blessings to the most high, etc... the next morning, wake up early to pack up and go ski something sick, of which there are 4 or 5 great choices, head back to the house after skiing and roll out. you can skin back up a short 30 min-ish skin to the t-ride gate and ride lifts back into town to get back super fast or just coast down the appraoch back to the cars. feel free to invite others, but please only people who know what is going on because, as BusterH has seen, the snowpack out there is crazy and will swallow you. i encourage everyone to make it up to the hut, but again want to emphasize the seriousness of snowpack conditions and considerations in the area - far sketchier than probably anything you have encoutered previously. san miguel county is, statistically ranked, along with the county silverton and red mountain pass are in, as the most avalnache prone counties in the country. since there will likely be a grip of people up there(too many for one touring group), everyone who comes should feel secure being able to make all route finding, snow safety decisions, and potential rescues on their own.
    Last edited by reidhresko; 09-27-2006 at 09:21 AM.

I just received a phone call from Jim Russell, who owns the Alta Lakes Observatory (the place behind t-ride) and we are in a holding pattern. He is a bit of a strange bird(in the best ways possible), but informs me that he cannot complete the tentative reservation at this time because he is not sure if there is going to be water at the house in March!?! (Huh?) Anyway, he said he imagines by the end of the month to have the problem resolved and to plan on coming, but he will let me know, for sure, and take payment in December. The date has been blocked off and no one else will be able to book the 30th. no major issue (i think) but I wanted to let you guys know so we are all on the same page. I am going to plan on it happening until I hear otherwise and will let you all know as soon as I know more.

Damn I whish I had some vacation time left that cabin/BC palace looks sweet. I'm going to try to make something work so I can get down to Telluride Friday morning but I'm far into the negative on vacation days due to our honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    ... but I'm far into the negative on vacation days due to our honeymoon.
    You should've got your priorities straight with your new wife before you got married.

Sounds like a fun time. Too bad it's next to impossible for me to plan something a day in advance let alone several months in advance. If there's still space available last minute, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I am confirmed at Silverton for the 29th, and also interested in one or maybe both of those stellar looking lodging options...will PM you later this week.
    Dude. Call me regarding this trip / time period.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Dude. Call me regarding this trip / time period.
    Okay, will do! Need an hour or two to take care of some bidness, but I'll call you later today!
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Is Silverton still limited to 80 skiers per day?

How close can we get to completely filling the place with maggots, I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is Silverton still limited to 80 skiers per day?
    For guided, which 3/29 is, yes.
    How close can we get to completely filling the place with maggots, I wonder...
    At this point, we will likely saturate the place. And ISkiBc, there will be room, so plan on getting your tundra burned ass out there, OK.

Here is a little something to get everyone chomping at the bit.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

No more 'Stairway to Heaven' to get to Split Ski, Dolores, 100 Acre Wood, thread, string, fiber or Colorado chute among others. And skiing Cabin Chute will be legit.

3/30/06

3/27/05

3/29/04
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

My reservation with Silverton is made. I will be joining you guyz but not staying with ya. While I'd like to stay at the posh digs on red mt pass I have a feeling my lowness on the maggot totem pole will mean I sleep on the floor. I want my own bed. Sue me. i'm makin' a reservation somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski View Post
    My reservation with Silverton is made. I will be joining you guyz but not staying with ya. While I'd like to stay at the posh digs on red mt pass I have a feeling my lowness on the maggot totem pole will mean I sleep on the floor. I want my own bed. Sue me. i'm makin' a reservation somewhere else.
    fuck the maggot totem pole( I didn't even know there was one). there are legit beds for like 14 peeps and two couches that may as well be beds. stay where you like, but anybody who thinks more posts or some bullshit like that means a doper spot is officially encouraged to not come.

extreeski, you have twice as many posts as I do. does that mean I have to sleep in the shitter?
    Last edited by reidhresko; 09-28-2006 at 02:50 PM.

I appreciate that sentiment.....

Shiz.... Reid... I say you get the master bedroom if you're putting that together. How many people have confirmed so far?

As far as the maggot totem pole. I was more thinking of my skiing abilities. I can't huck a cliff if my life depended on it. Don't know if I wanna do an eight mile skin. (No sled here) But that doesn't mean I can't ski well and keep up with others. As well, I can pull bongs with the worst/best of em.

As well, I can pull bongs with the worst/best of em.
    now we're talking.... as important as a good huck anyday. no one really has confirmed since it is still so far off and I just covered the cost of the hut and am not worried about it yet. I will start pinning people down come Dec/Jan and requesting confirmation and whatnot (I also have some friends who don't post on the boards that want to come so I need to check in with them as well). I just booked the hut now because these dates would have been taken by the time I tried to get them in Dec. I am not planning on skiing ten feet at the pre-silverton party location which is located about 100 yards from the higway, though it feels miles away. iration vibration, beers, and chilling on the deck looking at/rolling up trees...

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    RE: your PM, Reidhresko,

I'm not really down for touring from there, so it would probably be a good idea for me not to commit to the second date. However, having somewhere sweet ass sweet to stay Wednesday night for Thursday Silverton would be $$$, and assuming I didn't need to be "on top of my game" just to access the place, I'd definitely be down to book for Wednesday night.

Moral of the story: I know you're not booking yet, but I'm down for whatever doesn't require x-ray avy eyeballs, as I will NOT feel comfortable going if just the access is super-prone.

P.S. Thanks for putting this shit together! You rock!
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

IAs well, I can pull bongs with the worst/best of em.
    Phhhtttt. Try hot knives.

Did we ever decide what the offal icial summit route will be?

I can't huck a cliff if my life depended on it. (edit) But that doesn't mean I can't ski well and keep up with others. As well, I can pull bongs with the worst/best of em.
    well can't say i havent hucked a cliff or two in the days, but that was when my bones were soft , they are are now brittle and sore and my insurance isn't the greatest so i stay away from the cliffs nowadays.

the second part of the statement i'm down with.

will have to wait til next week to get the reservation as the alta powder pass deal was up today and one must have priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Max Gosey View Post
    RE: your PM, Reidhresko,

I'm not really down for touring from there, so it would probably be a good idea for me not to commit to the second date. However, having somewhere sweet ass sweet to stay Wednesday night for Thursday Silverton would be $$$, and assuming I didn't need to be "on top of my game" just to access the place, I'd definitely be down to book for Wednesday night.

Moral of the story: I know you're not booking yet, but I'm down for whatever doesn't require x-ray avy eyeballs, as I will NOT feel comfortable going if just the access is super-prone.

P.S. Thanks for putting this shit together! You rock!
    cool man. the wed night place is right off the road. you could crabwalk from your car to the door...

Quote Originally Posted by reidhresko View Post
    cool man. the wed night place is right off the road. you could crabwalk from your car to the door...
    Is the backcountry we would ski groomed? Cause I'll totally go if it's groomed. Freshies!
    Drive slow, homie.