How about a TR Forum?

I love the forum in general but think it might be nice to have a forum just for TRs. Between the spam, the random questions, and jackassery in the Ski/Snowboard forum I find myself hunting mostly for the TRs. The Padded Room seems to work well...how about a TR only room?

we have enough forums already, if not too many
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333
    I love the forum in general but think it might be nice to have a forum just for TRs. Between the spam, the random questions, and jackassery in the Ski/Snowboard forum I find myself hunting mostly for the TRs. The Padded Room seems to work well...how about a TR only room?
    covered before

in depth

Where would you put a TR about finding some great NSFW pr0n and getting caught by your girlfriend while roughing up the suspect with your raw bacon glove with a mask and snorkel on? Padded room? TR? BB&Fs?

Padded Room

I still like the pure TR Room.

I got shut down on the same idea.......but am still ALL FOR IT!!!!

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44663
    Donjoy to the World!

It would make a lot of sense.

I understand it cant be done by manual filtering by TGR.

But if we have the technology to allow a New topic poster to choose which forum it most fits in it would improve this place.

Or at a bare minimum - if the search function wouldnt throw up on "TR" and instead yield results.

tough one... we have too many forums... or had too many... new forums should only be created when an unresonable amount of activity happens in a given day on any one forum...

our membership and activity is way up. however a TR forum might mean less people seeing the TRs because i'd guess (and this is a guess) that most people JUST read forum 3 (Ski&Snowboard) and no other forum.

perhaps a better solution is more stringent self regulation of the ski & snowboard forum (push the NSR stuff to padded room, tech stuff to tech talk, etc)

it does suck to see TRs knocked off the front page in 12 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I doubt we'll simply create a new TR forum without doing anything else, but we are trying to figure out how to spotlight TRs better. You may not see any changes for a while, but we are paying attention to the feedback here,

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit
    I doubt we'll simply create a new TR forum without doing anything else, but we are trying to figure out how to spotlight TRs better. You may not see any changes for a while, but we are paying attention to the feedback here,
    Thanks - the ability to effectively search for TRs could work just as well as a separate forum I suppose.

I think I've seen this mentioned at least 4 or 5 times already in the last year! The subject has been beaten to death, and too many people oppose having a separate TR forum for it to actually happen. Personally, I don't care either way because I just read the most recent posts, and don't focus on the individual forums, but that's just the way I do things It is unfortunate, however, that great TR's can easily be passed over due to do much traffic in the ski forum.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

I very often spend significant amounts of time with Google trying to find the TR I had in mind. I'd love to see a TR forum; they're usually my favorite on other message boards.

If it takes signifigant amounts of time to find the TR... why does it matter? If it's unique it'll pop up quick. Elsewhise it'll vanish into the ether.
    Elvis has left the building

How about a tagging system like those fancy blog type things

This thread tagged: "Feature Request", "Dup", etc...
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I will have another beer!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick
    I don't care either way because I just read the most recent posts, and don't focus on the individual forums, but that's just the way I do things It is unfortunate, however, that great TR's can easily be passed over due to do much traffic in the ski forum.
    I too thought everyone just used the "New Posts" button.....unless I am the one posting, I never really pay attention to which forum. (BUT in winter I am looking for TRs, and would like to look there and know I am not missing any).
    Donjoy to the World!

I was also one of those who took a shot for a separate TR forum earlier this year. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54003 I also met with the roadblocks of 'too many forums, subject beat to death', etc. However, I would still like to see a separate forum, specific search tags, or other tagging method to easily isolate those threads. It would be nice to see all the historical TR's as well as the new ones. With all the junk in the main forum, it's almost impossible to wade through it all to get to the good stuff. It really surprises me that excellent TR's are off the first page before I ever even see them while a thread about 'cordoning off lands to save the southeast Idaho dung beetle' will stay there for seemingly weeks. But, I'm a JONG and I guess I just don't understand how the plight of the southeast Idaho dung beetle is crucial to my skiing interests.

Anyway, thanks (pants)Suit for listening. We're looking forward to your plan!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit
    Here's an idea:

1) So the board is set up so we can sort the threads by different parameters by clicking on the column headers, like "Thread", "Thread Starter", "Rating", "Last Post", "Replies", "Views", with "Last Post" the default setting.

(We can also sort them by using the dropdown menus on the "Display Options" section at the bottom left of the page)

2) Then there's that non-sortable second column (after the non-sortable "Thread Status" column) where you can put a little icon with a thumbs up, lightbulb, smiley or whatever - does anybody really give a shit about those icons?

3) If you make that second column sortable, and change it to "TR" versus " " choice, people writing TRs would mark them as such and then readers could click on the sortable "TR" column header and all the TRs would come to the top. This way, all TRs would be on the main board, and rise and fall regularly like they always did with the advantage that they could be easily collected by a single click.

Does that make sense?