Paging Computer Nerds, Monitor Question (NSR)

Work is too much work so I have taken it upon myself to set up the dual flat screen monitor effect at my desk. We just blew an attorney out the door (she didn't work enough ) so I have an extra monitor at my disposal. So, i have two Dell Dimension 4700C with flat screen monitors and I am hoping that I can have both monitors hooked up to one tower effectively giving me one huge enlarged screen. I do not see an applicable port for the extra monitor. Am I missing an easy solution? Any splitter devices, etc. that will allow me to do this?

Put two video cards of the same manufacturer (ATI or NVidia) in and you're golden. Sometimes I can support 2 different kinds, but not always.

(edit) Most modern PC's have at least 1 AGP slot and a bunch of PCI slots. These acronyms describe the wires that transmit electrical signals around your PC called buses.

Normally, you'll already have a video card in the AGP slot, that's been the default or the video card is built in. Built ins can be more trouble for these situations because then there's weird hardware layouts that don't adhere to some standards needed.

Anyway, you should have an available PCI slot. Figure out which kind of card you already have and get another card of the same manufacturer, but for a PCI slot. Turn off the machine, put the card in and turn the machine back on. PnP should detect the card and load the rght driver. You may be prompted for drivers too, so know where to get them.

Some onboard viadeo adapters are a PITA to get to work and you may need to ask your cards mfger for info on how to get it to work.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-14-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I have mine hooked up with a splitter. Not sure of any other ways to do it.

Either replace the vid card with a duallie or put in another card, as said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen
    Put two video cards of the same manufacturer (ATI or NVidia) in and you're golden. Sometimes I can support 2 different kinds, but not always.

(edit) Most modern PC's have at least 1 AGP slot and a bunch of PCI slots. These acronyms describe the wires that transmit electrical signals around your PC called buses.

Normally, you'll already have a video card in the AGP slot, that's been the default or the video card is built in. Built ins can be more trouble for these situations because then there's weird hardware layouts that don't adhere to some standards needed.

Anyway, you should have an available PCI slot. Figure out which kind of card you already have and get another card of the same manufacturer, but for a PCI slot. Turn off the machine, put the card in and turn the machine back on. PnP should detect the card and load the rght driver. You may be prompted for drivers too, so know where to get them.

Some onboard viadeo adapters are a PITA to get to work and you may need to ask your cards mfger for info on how to get it to work.

I think I understand...based on your advice, the card in the spare tower will not work because it is not PCI ready, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw
    I think I understand...based on your advice, the card in the spare tower will not work because it is not PCI ready, correct?
    Probably, but you can look.
    AGP slots look different than PCI slots.

I'm pretty sure my laptop only has a single video card yet I can run dual monitors. Go to Display Properties (right click on your desktop and select properties) and select the settings tab. Mine has a "multiple monitors" option under display.

edit: oh, I didn't see you have no extra video port. That suggests it can't support two monitors I would guess.

psshawww. Only two monitors? I've got three (and could connect 3 more if I can scrounge them without one of my bosses deciding I'm having too much fun...).

really, I've noticed a declining return on the third monitor, but two is worth it's weight in gold.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Telenater
    but two is worth it's weight in gold.
    You're able to keep a TGR window on top all the time now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    You're able to keep a TGR window on top all the time now, right?

The Arch Druid has stumbled across my nefarious master plan to have TGR on one screen for an entire 10 hour day.

Yeah, the real problem is actually connecting the second monitor to my primary tower.

Most of the new top-end cards have two DVI-I outputs. If you are dealing with a lower-end card with one output, the most elegant solution is too add a second pci-e card to an Nforce 4 sli motherboard, giving you two cards working together, with two monitor outputs.

I don't have the space for a second monitor, so I've never tried it. I know that my 7900 gtx can do it though. The PCI/AGP solution could have some hairy config issues, so good luck.

my video card wasn't made as a dual head, but it does have both DVI and analog outputs.
    I found that I can plug a monitor into each and get the dual monitor thing working. It's pretty cool.

That is probably manufacturer to manufacturer though. With my manufacturer/model (nvidia geforce fx 5700le) The resolution on both monitors has to be the same (can be complicated by LCD screens.)

but it works ok.

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    my video card wasn't made as a dual head, but it does have both DVI and analog outputs.
    I found that I can plug a monitor into each and get the dual monitor thing working. It's pretty cool.

That is probably manufacturer to manufacturer though. With my manufacturer/model (nvidia geforce fx 5700le) The resolution on both monitors has to be the same (can be complicated by LCD screens.)

but it works ok.

-steve
    It's a dual head, even if they're different.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen
    It's a dual head, even if they're different.
    how about this: it wasn't marketed as a dual head.

-steve