Do I need to pay TGR...

If I design a shirt with say, a skier on it and some other graphics and somewhere on it it says TGR, small and not prevalent, do I need to pay some royalties?

Say I plan to make a limited run and only for resale to recoup the cost of the shirt and the silkscreen ie: no profit, do I need to pay the establishment for the use of the letters TGR. I would not use the Teton Gravity logo just the letters.

I am assuming not, but better to not make an ass out of u and me and just ask.

Thank you powers that be.
    lobstah

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad
    If I design a shirt with say, a skier on it and some other graphics and somewhere on it it says TGR, small and not prevalent, do I need to pay some royalties?

Say I plan to make a limited run and only for resale to recoup the cost of the shirt and the silkscreen ie: no profit, do I need to pay the establishment for the use of the letters TGR. I would not use the Teton Gravity logo just the letters.

I am assuming not, but better to not make an ass out of u and me and just ask.

Thank you powers that be.
    lobstah
    It's only malfeasance if someone sues you . You did pretty well in establishing the first requirement for a cause of action: identification of the offending party.

I hate to be wishy-washy, but it's hard to have an opinion without seeing the design. PM me if you want to discuss more.

---The Suit

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit
    I hate to be wishy-washy, but it's hard to have an opinion without seeing the design. PM me if you want to discuss more.

---The Suit
    Really? You guys sanction "cool" infrigment?

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw
    Really? You guys sanction "cool" infrigment?
    Who said anything about infringement? He asked about payment. We occasionally give permission to use one or more of our trademarks free of charge for a specific purpose. Thus my request for more info.

Excellent answer by The Suit.

Bear in mind that TGR may have legitimate non-dickish reasons to deny your request -- they have to protect their trademarks from becoming genericized or otherwise lacking the identification with their products and services.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad
    TGR may have legitimate non-dickish reasons to deny your request.
    Such as, letting people use their logo on clothes willy-nilly would tend to fuck with their soft goods business...

Once again NO ACTUAL LOGO, just the letters TGR surreptitiously located in the background. The design won't suck but as there seems to be no clear answer I will take that as a NO, as far as payment is concerned.
    It's really just an idea to "represent" and make it available to mags and slightly more enticing. I can't disclose my design because my idea will be blown and I want to keep it to myself to make it authentic because I can't find anything like it.

Now you are wondering, well, if you have a bunch of time on your hands and do graphic design or otherwise draw, you can PM me.
    I am having some friends work on it cause I am 2 dimensionally ill-adept, but they have more pressing projects rather than 20 t-shirts for friends where they will see only a small fraction of cash for there time and some free shirts.

The capital letters TGR aren't trademarked? Just the logo? So, sounds OK to me. Unless otherwise stated by someone with authoritie.
    -lobstah

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad
    Once again NO ACTUAL LOGO, just the letters TGR surreptitiously located in the background. The design won't suck but as there seems to be no clear answer I will take that as a NO, as far as payment is concerned.
    It's really just an idea to "represent" and make it available to mags and slightly more enticing. I can't disclose my design because my idea will be blown and I want to keep it to myself to make it authentic because I can't find anything like it.

Now you are wondering, well, if you have a bunch of time on your hands and do graphic design or otherwise draw, you can PM me.
    I am having some friends work on it cause I am 2 dimensionally ill-adept, but they have more pressing projects rather than 20 t-shirts for friends where they will see only a small fraction of cash for there time and some free shirts.

The capital letters TGR aren't trademarked? Just the logo? So, sounds OK to me. Unless otherwise stated by someone with authoritie.
    -lobstah
    I'm sorry if my first response was not clear enough - we need to see your design and talk to you before TGR agrees to anything.

If you use the letters TGR in association with a snow sports theme without our permission, you are very likely infringing on our trademarks. You don't yet have that permission.

Please PM me before you proceed.

Scenerio...

Ok, so I'm selling a bunch of bootleg TGR shit at a local flea market...and a tree falls... where a bear just took a shit...Does Hot Tate still owe me a blow job?
    Signature removed for non-payment

Quote Originally Posted by Keoni
    Ok, so I'm selling a bunch of bootleg TGR shit at a local flea market...and a tree falls... where a bear just took a shit...Does Hot Tate still owe me a blow job?
    if it was a male polar bear and the tree was a 300ft redwood and your in Isalmabad...then yes