Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up TRIP REPORT: VAIL PASS - LOTS OF GOOD PICS! (& Blurred drops 50ft cliff /w pics)

2 Days at Vail Pass
    1.4MB IN 17 IMAGES BUT WELL WORTH IT
    Apologies for the long load time.

ALL IMAGES COPYRIGHT ME (ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)
    Images taken with Canon PowerShot A70 and Canon EOS 3 with 17-35mm f/2.8 L USM and Fuji Provia 100F
    Photoshop functions used: Crop, Sharpen, Unsharp Mask, Image Size, Levels, Curves (I’m a purist… but not purist enough not to use the crop function)
    Thank you Gary at Kingdom Photo in Breckenridge for your quick service! The best lab in the county!

FOR THOSE HAVING TROUBLE WITH LOADING ALL THE PICTURES!!!! RIGHT CLICK ON THE SMALL IMAGE WITH THE X AND CHOOSE "SHOW PICTURE" OR HIT THE REFRESH BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER!!!! It is well worth it to see each picture in the TR and I really hope you do load em if you were having trouble. I don't know what is causing that problem...

Day 1

Blurred Elevens and his dog, Ty, showing Allison and I around.

Woke up late… called CAIC’s (Colorado Avalanche Information Center) forecast hotline… left for Frisco.
    ~1020 I arrive at Allison’s in Frisco and we make our way out of town very slowly. On my suggestion we stop by Wilderness Sports. Thankfully they had finished mounting her Freerides to her Explosivs earlier than expected. No trekkers for her! We adjust the bindings and are on our way… to more delay.
    ~1040 Finally, we are on I-70. It is a beautiful site to look up through the sunroof at Explosivs, Gotamas, and V-Pros on the roof rack. We arrive at Vail Pass. Blurred was already there with his dog Ty. Allison whined enough to get me to put the skins on her skis for her (thank you Jeff for letting her borrow). I skinned up my AT setup for the first time. Gotamas with Naxos and BCA Lowfats and Garmont G-Ride G-Fits. Brett had his Line Dragons, trekkers, and lowfats. Both of them used their alpine boots.

We skinned our way up Shrine Pass Rd. for about 2 miles over flat and light uphill. The ease of my AT gear blew my mind. It was relatively warm outside. I kept my outer two layers on my pack. There were many snowshoers out. It was very beautiful except the ‘bilers had tracked out everything… but that is much preferable to having to break trail. The sun came in and out of the clouds and the sky spat a few flakes at us. Ty ran circles around us all. We turned uphill through the woods from for about ½ mile of uphill, one short stretch very steep.

~1400 We reached the ridge top and skinned to an edge where we ate lunch and told many a dirty joke (and I mean dirty filthy rotten make a child molester blush jokes). The entire skin in had taken perhaps 2.5 hours to skin in. We had a wonderful view of the forested ridges on the other side of I-70. I called CAIC again from my cell but they hadn’t updated the recording. Their forecast was for low to moderate danger below tree line IIRC. We did a second beacon check. Blurred and I each dug a pit. I found the snow pack to be amazingly good. ~2” of fresh on top of maybe 4” of finger-fist hardness on top of ~4’ of facets. Shovel shear and shovel compression tests showed the snow pack to be strong (S8 for compression) and the quality factor indicator NO ENERGY in the snow pack. We deskinned and geared up. I popped the cherry on my Gotamas and they are oh-so-sweet. Brett dropped off a small cliff then proceeded to maybe a 30-35ft and stuck that. We continued to make turns in fantastic super soft snow. It was mind blowling wonderful as we skied along trees. I dropped a small 10ft rockdrop and the landing was along the lines of jumping into a swimming pool full of 900-fill down (see Blurred’s landing picture later in post). Landing was great and I stuck. We tried to coax Allison into dropping a beautiful ~15ft drop with a fluffy landing… but she wasn’t in the mood. We then hit some flats that were boring but beautiful. There were some nice steep little powder lines that we reached and then another cliff line which Allison skirted, I dropped 15ft and Blurred dropped 20ft. We then reached a traverse and spied some nice cliffs towards the bottom. We eventually reached them but it was getting quite late so we took it small. Traversing under the cliffs, we saw some huge ones. Blurred said that I brought my camera, he would drop them. We then stepped up a short path across a bridge right below Black Lake 2. We started the 2 mile trek out. Brett pointed out a cliff on the far side of Black Lake 1. Allison continued on the road back up to parking while Brett and I skied across the lake. It was perhaps a 20ft cliff. I probed the landing area and then side stepped up very steep embankment to get to the cliff. The landing was great!. We then went across the lake (yay Naxo) and side stepped up to the parking lot where Allison was waiting.

2.5 miles in. 1 mile ski. ~1100 vert ft. 2 miles out.

Day 2 (with pictures!)

Blurred Elevens, Allison and I do it again!

It was amazingly cold as we geared up in the Vail Pass lot. It was spitting snow and the clouds were doing their best to cover the sun. I ate my wheaties for breakfast (or oatmeal as it was) and hauled ass up the trail despite the 15lbs of extra photo gear in my pack. Only fifteen minutes in, I stopped in front and noticed the snow was moving.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17974.jpg
    Ptarmigan on the Trail (A70 f=105mm)

There were three of them making little trails to the snow, wading through it to their breasts. They seemed remarkably unconcerned with us. I think Allison wanted to take one home with her.

We passed many women on tele skis going the other way (why did they all have to be ~40? grrr). I discovered that I had forgotten to fill my camelback… oh well.

The trek was much more beautiful than the previous trip. Fresh snow had covered all the crisscrossing ‘bile tracks and made the meadows and valleys stunningly beautiful. I broke trail going the last ½ mile up the to the ridge and we ate lunch in the same spot while a few birds chirped in the lodgepoles.

We were thrilled with the new deepness.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17950.jpg
    Grins at the Powdery Goodness (A70 f~70mm)

We did a second beacon check. A call to CAIC on my cell phone revealed moderate below treeline with potential for shallow triggered releases. I dug a pit and found similar conditions to the previous pit except that in the days between, a shallow slab (about finger harness) had formed and there was obvious wind action. Nevertheless, tests showed the slope to be as strong as before and there was still no energy in the pack. Brett and I took some time to teach Allison about pits. I showed her the various tests one could do.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17980.jpg
    Layers of the Pit (A70 f=35mm) (Yes, those are bunny ears)

We had cut an hour off of our skin in despite the fact that we were all carrying extra gear. Allison had her miniDVcam with her. She dropped down below a small cliff (10-15ft) and shot Brett and I coming off. I stuck it fine. So did Brett… until he lost an argument with very small tree. Allison and I then positioned ourselves to film Brett coming off of a larger cliff (~25ft maybe more)

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17953.jpg
    Considering the Drop (Provia 100F f=35mm)

Remember that Brett is 6’5” when you look at that image. He then dropped the cliff.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17952.jpg
    Weeeeeee! (Provia 100F f~17mm)

…and stuck the landing nicely. We made some phat pow turns and Allison did a double pillow drop.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17945.jpg
    Bunny Snow Waterfall (A70 f=35mm)

I dropped the wonderfull 15fter she had skipped the previous day, but my camera gear pulled me down on my landing. Brett then went off to position himself on the high cliff while Allison and I skied down the previous days route. I dropped what Brett dropped the day before… maybe a 15-20fter. Allison is a still camera JONG so I only have my picture from the bottom which shows how nice the landing was.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17973.jpg
    Twin Drops (A70 f=35mm (pointed significantly up))

*cont*
    Last edited by Summit; 01-31-2004 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

We skied on and saw Brett on the large cliff waiting for us. We skied down below him. I tried to side step up under the cliff to set up my angle and probe the landing. However, the landing was so steep and soft that I simply could not side step up and I simply took off my skis and post holed chest deep up the hill and through some tree wells. Brett tossed his pack off the cliff to me… almost took me out. I tossed it farther down the hill where I could get it. I probed the landing and it was consistently 3.5-4ft deep alleviating Brett’s fears that it was wind scoured. I began to set up my camera gear while standing up to my belly in snow. Brett had already been standing at the top for a good while before I’d started post holing and was getting impatient.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17970.jpg
    50ft I’m Ready Already (Provia 100F f=35mm(pointed significantly up))

The up angle in the last shot shrinks things, but it does give you some idea of the scale. Mildly disappointed with my vantage point, I took considerable time spot metering to get my exposure correct. Allison rolled camera and I radioed I was ready. Brett shouted that he was jumping. Brett didn’t hesitate for even a second before throwing himself into the abyss. My camera began chowing through film at 4.3fps. Don’t be fooled by the extreme wide angle distortion and the parallax error (aka leaning building syndrome) due to the ~50 deg up angle on these photos: http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17946.jpg
    Off (Provia 100F f=17mm (pointed significantly up and cropped))

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17948.jpg
    Flying X (Provia 100F f=17mm (pointed significantly up))

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17947.jpg
    Falling Trail (Provia 100F f=17mm (pointed significantly up))

Brett flew off the cliff and through the air with grace.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17949.jpg
    Splash Down (Provia 100F f=17mm (inadvertently tilted making the landing seem flatter))

He stuck it with a goatee of snow.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17971.jpg
    Still Up Down (Provia 100F f~20mm)

And made some deep turns in the white gold towards where Allison was filming.
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17951.jpg
    Twisting Turning (Provia 100 f~35mm)

We were elated. I let out a few yells before potholing back down to my skis. I couldn’t locate Brett’s bag and it took us perhaps 10-15 minutes to locate it in a tree well. all quite psyched. We side stepped out and crossed the bridge before looking a back to take in the scale of the day.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17981.jpg
    Looking Back Up (Provia 100F f=35mm (cropped))

We strapped our skis to our packs and began the walk out. We paused by Black Lake 1 for a photo. The cliff between our heads is the one I side stepped up to and dropped on the previous trip.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17944.jpg
    Packing Late (A70 f=35mm (cropped))

As we walked back in the dark, I worried about my exposure but it all passed given the greatness of the fading day.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic17972.jpg
    Serenity at the Base (A70 f=35mm)
    Last edited by Summit; 01-06-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Thumbs up

good shit mang!
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Originally posted by SummitCo 1776

Splash Down (Provia 100F f=17mm (inadvertently tilted making the landing seem flatter))
    Ever heard of the "rotate" function?

But seriously, some fine stoke both skiing and scenic. Thanks for posting it.
    Last edited by The AD; 01-30-2004 at 04:02 PM.

nice pics man.
    fine

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SummitCo 1776
    As we walked back in the dark, I worried about my exposure but it all passed given the greatness of the fading day.
    Worried about your exposure? Shee-it man! Way to flirt with serious injury. Looks like we know who won the battle... YOU DID.

Seriously. Excellent pics.

great job!! i hope east vail is as nice tomorrow.

gorgeous pics bro.

hey blurred, how do you like the dragons, I've got a friend selling a pair I'm thinking of picking up.

Beautiful pics...like the wildlife photography.

Wink

Jus for the record, I am not Blurred's dog.

nice pics.

heh, I see the bunny eared gal all the freaking time at Copper.

Speaking of Vail pass, do you still have to pay to play up there? Gawd that pisses me off.
    Last edited by Mountain Junkie; 01-30-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Thumbs up

Mmmm. I enjoyed that. Time for a smoke.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Beautiful pictures. The ptarmagin, the chameleon of the high country, baring it's breast proudly. All things on this earth are one, a symbiotic relationship etched indelibly upon each living creature's soul

Great pics and nice huck!

It is too bad that the camera angle makes it look more like a 20 footer.

Talking

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Jus for the record, I am not Blurred's dog.

nice pics.
    correction: that would be "not Blurred's HUGE AIR DAWG"!

Thumbs up

sweet stuff

Thanks for the compliments fellahs...

Originally posted by The AD
    Ever heard of the "rotate" function?
    Forgot, I used rotate on "Still Up Down"
    I tried rotating "Slash Down" but it would have meant corpping too much of the image. It has more punch for me with the full plume rather than a section of the plume and it looking steeper.

The slope was not 50degrees. The camera was angled up over 50 degrees. This is more than I could possibly correct for with perspective transform even if I had my Linhof Tech IV 4x5 out with camera movements... even with a monorail with huge movements. I really hate my angle on that cliff in hindsight. I should have at least gone to the other side of the landing or much better gone farther away and used a long lens. There is always next time. I also wish it hadn't been cloudy.

I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THE EXPOSURE OF MY SLIDES not physical slides are incredibly picky and contrasty snow scenes are very hard to meter (I left my grey card at home).

Re Cliff height
    I really don't want to argue. It was way more than 20ft. Maybe it wasn't 50ft, but I suppose we will drop a rope off it next time to measure. I would wager that most of you havent looked through a 17mm (unbelievably wide angle) lens tilted at that angle with a 6'5" person on top of an object. If you look at "Looking Back Up" you can see the cliff in upper right frame. I was shooting from the tiny tree in the middle of the track. No biggie. Think what you like as long as you are stoked I am happy
    Last edited by Summit; 01-30-2004 at 11:41 PM.

No offense, but if that's a 50-foot cliff, I've got a 10-foot dick.

Nice stoke nonetheless, and certainly a bigger air than I would have pumped this year.

Postscript Edit: this is as good a place as any to say this... I'm stoked to see the new and improved Blurred Brett. Always figured there was a rowdy skier-type human being down deep somewhere in that cynical, abrasive, obnoxious shell. I know, dude... takes one to know one. Peas.
    Last edited by Pinner; 01-30-2004 at 11:02 PM.

Great pics and stoke, but I got to agree about the numbers being a little inflated. I would put that thing at 25-30. It also looks like he took it to the side rather than taking the highest point heading down the fall line. Either way it's a great huck and great photography.

I've got 9 more days to use at Vail this season. I'll have to hook up with you guys at some point.

As a ski photographer, I'd say the vert drop was 30-40. Check the slope angle on the landing, when the wide angle perspective is not skewed. It looks to be at least 40 degrees.
    Edit, the second landing shot is tilted, so make the slope 30 degrees...Uggh, flatter landing than I like.
    I shot a small cliff recently at Alpental, and also dropped it myself. The total drop on it was 18-22 feet. Here it is:

By the way, Alpental cliffs are everywhere, but most have super steep in and outruns, so they are not for the faint of heart. The East Vail cliffs look very tame by comparison.
    Last edited by rbtree; 01-31-2004 at 12:17 AM.

Originally posted by Pinner
    No offense, but if that's a 50-foot cliff, I've got a 10-foot dick.
    Sometimes it's frightening how much I see exactly my thoughts posted.

The point is that cliffjumps are ballsy fun. Right on.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

that they are.

But ripping a line like this that starts at 58 degrees, and doesn't drop below 45 degrees for 500-800 vert is also one big rush.

Shot 8, out of bounds at Alpental.

Regardless of the actual measurement the huck was solid and the pics are badass. Thanks for the stoke fellas.

Exclamation TROUBLE LOADING PICTURES???

I'm stoked that people are stoked

FOR THOSE HAVING TROUBLE WITH LOADING ALL THE PICTURES!!!! RIGHT CLICK ON THE SMALL IMAGE WITH THE X AND CHOOSE "SHOW PICTURE" OR HIT THE REFRESH BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER!!!! It is well worth it to see each picture in the TR and I really hope you do load em if you were having trouble. I don't know what is causing that problem...

Requested: for those inquiring about using an image as a background who don't want the biglines logo, pm me.

Requested: detail on the big jump
    Last edited by Summit; 01-31-2004 at 01:35 PM.