Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kitesurfing

Kitesurfing

so this summer i learned to kiteboard. what a blast! i've always been infatuated with surfing since a young age. living in SLC, it obviously didn't happen much. kiting has offered such a stoke, new friends, and mostly a brand new challenge. i haven't felt this challenged with a sport since like high school whilst skiing. i can't wait to get out there in the winter on the snow. i think it's going to open up a bunch of new backcountry here. plus, i'm lazy and don't like hiking too much. saw they used kites in the chilean (i think) expedition in the new powder. we've been kiting on deer creek, jordanelle, and utah lake here.

anyway, was just curious if anyone else on this board kited and what their experiences were. does anyone snow kite? i went strapless on a surfboard last sesh and loved it! the feeling of no straps, the power of the kite and the freedom to edge as little or much as you want on the surfboard was awesome.

do any of you surfers have an older 5'5"-6'2" you want to donate or sell for cheap? the one i have now i bought for learnings sake in SD years ago. its a 7'2" pintail mini gun shaped by joe curren. i'd love to try something like a 5'8" squash or fish in the lakes here. the mini gun jsut dosent' have that much width to it and turns pretty slow, but i still like it. you can mach on it. plus, i'm envisioning this slash or roundhouse turn on the sometimes 3' wind swell on a surfboard, but i don't think my gun will have enough agility.

i'm willing to ship if you have a good board for $100 or cheaper.

kiteboarding

Seems like alot of gear. don't want to have to deal with that. just have to wait for the swell and offshore winds.

There is no getting away from it, kitesurfing is a massive rush. I have enjoyed some euphoric moments under a kite racing out over open water. I live about 30 minutes from one of the best - and less frequented - kitesurf venues in the UK. (Bantham and Exmouth)

Here's one reason why I don't kitesurf anymore.

Ben Cornish, 14, was walking up the slipway from the River Exe at Exmouth, Devon, when he was caught by a huge gust of wind.

The teenager from Budleigh Salterton, Devon, was lifted into the air and smashed into a tree causing multiple injuries, including a suspected damaged spine.

Actually, that report is wrong. It failed to mention that Ben - despite his age - is one of the best kitesurfers in the UK. He's a retained demo guy for Cabrinna. The "huge" gust of wind was not so huge. The "tree" he hit was after he was dumped onto tarmac. His spine was damaged, his hips, most of his leg bones and a lung were stuffed.

From my own point of view, I crashed on the one day I didn't wear my helmet. I still believe that I was lucky to get away with just a headache.

Accidents happen in all sports, but the risk of injury to a keen amateur such as myself is heightened above the risks I face when surfing or skiing - IMHO.

The rush of moving smoothly over water is prolonged by the kite, but I'm now happy sticking with surfing alone. Besides, unless you have a one pump kite and always keep your lines tidy, the hassle of setting up and packing down is so tedious.

I came very close to getting back into the sport about 3 months back and opted against it, however, in my search for a kite I found flexifoil.com and the forum there. It has a snow kiting area and also contains people with a much more positive outlook than me on the sport.

Kitesurfing is definately a sport where the saying "discretion is the better part of valour" applies at times.
    Not around much these days.

Phil Ingle / flingle did a bit of snow-kiting I think. Haven't seen a post from him in a long time, though.

Anyone have gear advice for a total noob? Friends are into it and have got me interested to try. I assume I'll rent gear the first few times, but would like to have some idea on what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Anyone have gear advice for a total noob? Friends are into it and have got me interested to try. I assume I'll rent gear the first few times, but would like to have some idea on what's what.
    For a total noob... If you are serious,buy a 1-2m power kite and spend alot of time learning to fly it and learning about the wind and the wind window.Then get some sort of Lesson with a bigger kite,don't know of any snow kiting schools,so get an experienced friend to help or there should be kite surf school in Van

out to sea

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalTele View Post
    Seems like alot of gear. don't want to have to deal with that. just have to wait for the swell and offshore winds.
    Offshore winds + kitesurfing = bad idea
    ON shore winds = better idea.
    better off getting blown back onshore than out to sea~
    the amount of gear is silly compared to all that windsurfing crap we used to haul around.
    You can literally strap a kite , board, bar/lines on your back and ride a moped to the beach
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Offshore winds + kitesurfing = bad idea

the amount of gear is silly compared to all that windsurfing crap we used to haul around.
    You can literally strap a kite , board, bar/lines on your back and ride a moped to the beach

You mean, that some of us still haul around? I have to admit, I am envious of this aspect of kiteboarding....but for some reason, am still very much addicted to windsurfing.

unlike many of my kite brethren, I understand.
    gotta say, I never got hurt windsurfing like I have kiting.
    You CAN do both
    or all 3
    http://masteroftheocean.com/

King of the Air
    saturday was great, waiting for more wind for Day 2
    https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1TZUF3MTH1W11/day-1

Thought I'd share some adventure...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blog Downwind 1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	470.3 KB 
ID:	262151

https://nihil.atypicalcontent.com/20...za-to-sao.html

Quote Originally Posted by ropeducker View Post
    Thought I'd share some adventure...

Name:	Blog Downwind 1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	470.3 KB 
ID:	262151

https://nihil.atypicalcontent.com/20...za-to-sao.html
    I read it in the other thread. Good stuff, mang. Brasil is magical. I should be there right now, ex wife and daughter made the trip for New Years and I opted to watch the dog. I could go on for hours, all the trips, buying a condo, learning the language and plans to be an ex pat and live at the beach. Carnaval is a special time there, so hot and so fun, night after night. I missed the window when Alex Shogren from Best was building the ultimate kitesurfing resort and lived there for months on end. Many kitesurfing friends have done the trip you did and a few even bought land to build on, it's so cheap. Still sketchy but worth it

a few days ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28kitehigh.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	810.7 KB 
ID:	262497  

Kiteboarding is the Suit family's newest obsession. We went on a family vacation to a resort in the Philippines in March of this year, stumbled upon their kiting center while walking off our jet lag, and the rest was history. The pro we met spends her summers in Maui, so we've been there for three weekends this summer. Mrs. Suit and I are psyched to find another sport that our daughters like as much as we do.

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	952.9 KB 
ID:	298745

Wink Kiteboarding

Hello. For me, Kiteboarding was a great discovery. As for me, this is incredible freedom. I really want to try. I advise you to look and get inspired.

Learned last winter and haven't been since this summer. Bringing my kite gear out to Colorado for some snow kiting! If anyone is in the Denver area and interested always down to go with someone.

Bump b/c the sport still evolves.
    Foiling.
    Wingy Thingy.
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKMSJTtypU{/video]
    Last edited by willywhit; 04-14-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Bump b/c the sport still evolves.
    Foiling.
    Wingy Thingy.
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKMSJTtypU{/video]
    You seem to have forgotten how to embed YouTube videos. So let me help, if I can.

1. Substitute “youtube” for “video”
    2. Strip off the “=“ and everything to the left of it in the url.
    3. You have a brace instead of a open bracket.

Let me try:

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    You seem to have forgotten how to embed YouTube videos. So let me help, if I can.

FKNA , thanks Billy
    I was a master at it, just rusty. appreciate the help, brah

My buddy is big into the foil stuff- races A Cats, Moths, and rides a foil board. This is his new setup.

I got into kiting in 2000/2001 and gave it up after almost getting dragged to Mexico in a low wind incident where I couldn't get my kite back up out of the water and my leg got wrapped in the line. I paddled, fighting the kite dragging me out to sea. I made it to the edge of the beach just in time to touch sand. Didn't have a knife on me. Wrapped the kite up, seaweed and all and hitchhiked back to my truck. Never touched it again. I kinda regret it when I watch all those big air videos, but I know guys that aired into bridges and broke their backs, aired too high and slammed, aired too high and hit the beach, etc. It is a sketchy deal. Still wish I had stuck with it. Kinda.

I used to windsurf a ton and my life revolved around it. Then kids and it's just not great with a family waiting for wind, etc so I sold my gear.
    Kitesurfing is very popular where I live and I keep saying I am going to bite the bullet and get the gear and I think it's this spring for me. All of my old windsurfing buddies kite now so they should be able to help with gear.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I used to windsurf a ton and my life revolved around it. Then kids and it's just not great with a family waiting for wind, etc so I sold my gear.
    Kitesurfing is very popular where I live and I keep saying I am going to bite the bullet and get the gear and I think it's this spring for me. All of my old windsurfing buddies kite now so they should be able to help with gear.
    kitesurfing has been cancelled. The wingy thingy and foiling is the new jam

A vegan, a crossfitter, and a kitesurfer walk into a bar.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA