Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kitesurfing

Windsurfed for 30 years and checked out kiteboarding but gave it a pass after a friend got dumped on rocks, broke his leg which got infected and then lost the leg. Too risky for me. Foil windsurfing looks safer and uses some existing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    A vegan, a crossfitter, and a kitesurfer walk into a bar.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You gotta fuck one, marry one, kill one
    GO !!!!

!
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Windsurfed for 30 years and checked out kiteboarding but gave it a pass after a friend got dumped on rocks, broke his leg which got infected and then lost the leg. Too risky for me. Foil windsurfing looks safer and uses some existing skills.
    that's crazy. was he in a 3rd world country ?
    I've heard many KITEMARE stories, pretty brutal. I have some scars.
    Kiting is a blast but thrashes you hard if you're jumping a lot and you're over 50 and not built like Laird Hamilton.
    Foiling is so much easier on the knees, the back, etc. Way more zen, too. Kiting is pretty aggro, all powered up.

My daughter and I kited yesterday for the first time in 9 months. We were both nervous but we both got right back to where we were before, skills-wise (which isn't saying much). San Francisco bay is muddy and cold. My wife and our other daughter are holding out for a Maui trip.

My whole body is sore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    My daughter and I kited yesterday for the first time in 9 months. We were both nervous but we both got right back to where we were before, skills-wise (which isn't saying much). San Francisco bay is muddy and cold. My wife and our other daughter are holding out for a Maui trip.

My whole body is sore.
    was that Crissy or over by san mateo bridge ? 3rd ave ?

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    was that Crissy or over by san mateo bridge ? 3rd ave ?
    3rd ave. I would die at Crissy Field. Still a kook.

Talking Brazil

Brasil as for me amazing country for this kind of sport!

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    that's crazy. was he in a 3rd world country ?
    I've heard many KITEMARE stories, pretty brutal. I have some scars.
    Kiting is a blast but thrashes you hard if you're jumping a lot and you're over 50 and not built like Laird Hamilton.
    Foiling is so much easier on the knees, the back, etc. Way more zen, too. Kiting is pretty aggro, all powered up.
    Love kiting, it's my new passion. Was out at the OBX in February and March. Speaking of almost kitemares. Was helping a guy launch his kite. Holding his kite, all lines looked good, he gave me the thumbs up, I released the kite, and he totally lost control and started dragging through the sand towards the power lines. Luckily he was quick to pull his release. First time I'd seen anything like this.

Kiting and wing foiling are the most fun I've had in years. Can't get it out of my brain and plan on moving to the OBX ASAP to fuel the addiction. Still a bit of a kook but I think of where I was a year ago and today and it's amazing how much progress you can make. The hardest thing right now for me is the strapless transitions. Will get that figured out this summer and be ready for the surf.

Self rescue practice. Inverted my kite on a jump/crash. I didn't know how to un-invert, and I didn't like the way it was flying, so I popped the safety, wrapped up, and floated in a half-mile or so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	379572

I managed to get up on a foil with a wing for the first time the other day and now I understand the appeal. In my opinion waterskiing, wakeboarding, and wakesurfing are to windsurfing, kiting, and winging, respectively. As someone who has dabbled in kiting and windsurfing winging blows them out of the water as far as smiles per minute and ease of learning.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

^^ that’s on a foil, right…?

It seems like a super expensive sport to initially get into.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

If you're asking me, no -- I was on a twintip. And yes it is expensive to get into, especially if you care about safety. Teaching yourself or learning from a friend is pretty sketchy. An out of control kite can really fuck you up in a hurry.

Currently learning to kite, took one 3 hour lesson, mainly for jet ski support.

Lots of good informational videos from kitesurfing College on you tube. I was able to learn waay more from that than lessons, but my instructor wasn't too stoked on teaching.

Treat the safety systems like life and death (they are), be cautious, and you will probably be able to teach yourself.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

Yes, you're using a foil with wing. Not cheap to get into but used gear is popping up a lot as the innovation of boards and foils has advanced by leaps and bounds over the past 2 years or so.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Just found a Cabrinha12m with board and harness. Suit, pm incoming.

I just stayed at my buds house outside park city and he's addicted to kiting. So much so he rented a place year round in Baja just northeast of Cabo with a friend. He flies down whenever he can and just recently got into foil kiting which is definitely sketchy, but he's getting pretty damn good. He quit skiing, so pretty much just surfs and kites now.

Winging is the titties.

May eventually try foiling at some point but would want to branch into windsurfing first.

https://www.windalert.com/
    Last edited by SB; 06-02-2022 at 05:45 AM.
    watch out for snakes

I got a GoPro line mount. Not sure I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I got a GoPro line mount. Not sure I like it.
    Heh. Kite snorkeling

Just left Hood River.

Wing Foiling seams to be the sport dejour at the moment.

Wind was a little light for windsurfing.

Been kite foiling for years, wake foiling and pump as well. Just started to wing.
    No access issues and no lines to deal with, Self rescue is super easy https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci_SP...d=NjQxMzA2Mjk=

I did a little winging in Maui last winter and loved it. Definitely looking to get back out.

I race sailboats and used to windsurf some--but it was big sails/boards and lower wind on Lake Michigan, not planing back and forth in Hood River.

With that background, I was up and running in minutes. Took a lesson and it was basically out-and-back on an old centerboard-windsurfer on my knees with the wing, out and back standing up, ok looks like you understand how to get upwind so here's the foil board lets get at it.

And the next day I just went to a rental shop, got a board and a wing, strapped it to my rental car, and went to the beach:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211214_203630318.MP.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	428129
    Felt 100% confident just taking the gear and going out in the water.
    I really need another day or two on the water to get a feel for balancing on the foil, but I still had a blast.

Kiting? I've taken 2 lessons and with my background I think I moved relatively quick. Stunt kite flying/sailing/windsurfing had me in the water right away and I was through doing body drags and on to working with the board like halfway into the first lesson...but I feel a long way away from being confident just renting a kite and going out on the water myself safely, which means more $$$ lessons if I want to pursue. With the wing I can just rent and go.

My dad's gotten real big into snow-kiting in Minnesota though...that's something I could probably get into quick (if I didn't have gravity-skiing nearby) since it doesn't have the complexity of the water and waves.

edit: oh yeah, and the whole reason I tried winging instead of taking another kite lesson, was that my friend fucked up his leg REAL BAD in a kite lesson a couple of days before I left for Hawaii which meant zero skiing for the season...that had me spooked.

Stay away from lefkada n brazil.... it sucks there