Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best credit card?

I have to get a cc for work to expense stuff and to book airline flights. Which one? I want to get some bennies with it. I've seen the United Airlines and REI cards that seem cool but are there any other good ones out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I have to get a cc for work to expense stuff and to book airline flights. Which one? I want to get some bennies with it. I've seen the United Airlines and REI cards that seem cool but are there any other good ones out there?
    Southwest rapid rewards kicks ass if you're planning a bunch of domestic flights. I built up enough between flying and cc usage to get 4 free round trips in a year
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Alaska Air? Plus miles good on American and British I normally manage to get a flight to Jolly olde and one to South America every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Do you have military experience?

The one that Mrs. C. and I use is from the Navy Federal Credit Union (she was in the Navy at one time). Great frequent flier benefits, usable on any airline, redemption is based on the price of the ticket at certain point levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Are you going to use it to jimmy locked doors?
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I have had a few with air miles, but I like Capitol One the best since I can use it on any airline any time. My Alaska Air card is nearly worthless. I have to book 300 days in advance to get any seats, it is a real PITA.

I don't know, but at this point I'll take just about any one. I didn't get a card in college when they're throwing them at you, which was in retrospect, an actualy mistake. And now, I've gotten rejected from several card companies because I have no credit. Well, of course, I'm 23.

*sigh*

What are rates like for credit cards that give you airline miles?

I currently have a Capital One credit card with no benefits, but my interest rate is fixed at 4.9%. Just curious if anyone has found a credit card with a lower rate tan 4.9%
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

If you're a Costco member, the Costco Amex gives you cash back instead of miles, at roughly the same rate of accumulation. I use it whenever possible, including for business travel, and my cash back last year came to more than $1000.

Discover has the same benefit, on a lower scale, but you don't have to wait to get it once a year and you can credit it directly to your balance.

I'm a big fan of AMEX Rewards Plus. Double miles on stuff like groceries and gas.

Keep in mind that the standard AMEX card needs to be paid off in full every month. For most businesses this isn't an issue. But it might be if you're going solo.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

some of the best cards that give you the best miles/rewards do so because they have the highest interest rates. This doesnt effect you if you pay off the balance in full every month, so its worth it if you can afford to do it and dont make impulse buys.

I'll second AMEX. If you go w/ the charge instead of credit version it'll keep you honest- and the miles work on almost every airline (unied and soutwest excluded). But, if you do need a credit line also, you can also apply for one of their credit versions and dump any unpaid balance on that.

wow, how timely. we just looked into something similar.

we had two cards - a starwood preferred guest amex card which give some pretty lucrative hotel rewards, and a citibank cash-back card which gave us 5% cash back on groceries, drugstores, and GAS!! It's an awesome card. or at least it was..

two weekends ago, my wife and I were up in VT at sprite's place and they were telling us about how they've earned a whole load of airline miles from their credit card. we were intrigued.

well, this week, we got a letter from citibank telling us that "because of customer requests," they have lowered their cash reward from 5% to 2%. yeah right.

so, I did a little research, and I found a capital one card that gives us 2 airline miles for evert $1 spent on it. It has a $39 annual fee, but it's worth it. If you don't want to pay the fee, however, they have another card that gives 1.25 miles per $1 with no annual fee.

so yesterday we applied and were approved for the 2 miles per $1 card.

we're going to cancel the citibank card.. and use the amex only at costco (which doesn't take visa.)

35000 miles for a free RT ticket to south america..

-steve

I've found it's better to take cash than build up airline miles. Unless you're going directly through an airline, the card companies generally bill top dollar for flights, plus they add fees. It's cheaper to take the cash and buy yourself. Plus, you can put the cash into an online MM account and gain interest on it until you need it.

Both my Amex cards allow balances and allow you to exchange points for cash whenever you want. I use them for every purchase and bills and pay them off each month. It's gotten to the point that in situations where I can't use a rewards card, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 09-07-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    It's gotten to the point that in situations where I can't use a rewards card, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.
    heh.. same here.
    my damned bank won't let me put my mortgage on the CC. (:

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    I've found it's better to take cash than build up airline miles. Unless you're going directly through an airline, the card companies generally bill top dollar for flights, plus they add fees. It's cheaper to take the cash and buy yourself. Plus, you can put the cash into an online MM account and gain interest on it until you need it.
    This is the beauty of the Navy Federal Credit Union card, if you are eligible for it: the customer selects the ticket, directs NFCU's travel agent to the source, and you get whatever ticket you want at the redemption level. Example: 30,000 miles = $750 ticket -- if you find a flight to Country X for under $750, you can get that ticket using NFCU air miles, doesn't matter what airline it is.

Any military or ex-military or spouses of the same are eligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

used to rock the mileage cards for years...running all my business expenses through them.

in the past year i've switched over to cards that pay out cash @ 1% (unless you're the dipshit type who takes, say, a "$100 hotel gift certificate" for 13,000 points instead of a $100 check for 10,000 points). they all seem to pay out at about the same rate, and there's no annual fee.

citibank platinum rewards was a good deal w/ the 5% bumps, but as noted above they've done away with that.

i still have lots of miles on american and other airlines from those mileage cards, but it's getting harder and harder to use those 'saver' (25K) awards... seems like i often must use the 40k award (e.g., on the flight i just booked to AK), which totally changes the economics.

i'm with bagtagley....get the $$ and make your own decisions about flight times, airline, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    wow, how timely. we just looked into something similar.

so, I did a little research, and I found a capital one card that gives us 2 airline miles for evert $1 spent on it. It has a $39 annual fee, but it's worth it. If you don't want to pay the fee, however, they have another card that gives 1.25 miles per $1 with no annual fee.

so yesterday we applied and were approved for the 2 miles per $1 card.

we're going to cancel the citibank card.. and use the amex only at costco (which doesn't take visa.)

35000 miles for a free RT ticket to south america..

-steve
    I recently added this card as well. I've always only used USAA credit cards (legacy membership) which have been great as far as APR and EXCELLENT customer service. They offer miles/rewards cards as well (I actually get cash back for using my debit card with them), but it's not 2mi/$1 for their cards. With work paying my travel expenses I looked into getting a better rewards deal as my balance will be paid in full each month and was sold on the Capital One deal. So far, ok. The customer service is TERRIBLE compared to USAA, drastically worse and I hope I never have major issues with any charges etc. Calling them to deal with your card is a complete joke and after looking online it appears many have experinced major issues with Capital One. As long as you use it for expenses that are going to be paid for immeditely and never transfer a balance etc to it, it should be ok. I'm looking forward to a nice unrestricted ticket as well. Overall though so far it made me very thankful I do the rest of my banking, credit cards and insurance through USAA.

Quote Originally Posted by routter
    I'll second AMEX. If you go w/ the charge instead of credit version it'll keep you honest- and the miles work on almost every airline (unied and soutwest excluded). But, if you do need a credit line also, you can also apply for one of their credit versions and dump any unpaid balance on that.
    Actually, AMEX does work with Southwest.

They used to have an agreement with United too until United signed a huge loan agreement with Chase Manhattan to help with their bankruptcy. Needless to say, you can only get United miles through Chase now.

It doesn't work with American either. They're tied up with Citibank. Although after my recent AA experience, I don't know why you'd ever want to fly with them. Horrible airline.

The one problem with AMEX is that you're at the mercy of the Airlines frequent flyer programs which have gotten extremely strict and insanely expensive over the last two years. When I flew to SA 2 years ago on United it was pretty easy to get tickets and didn't use that many miles. Now it would cost twice as much and/or you'd have to book months in advance. The problem isn't AMEXs points exchange with the airlines. It's just that the airlines have made it much more difficult to redeem their own rewards points. Sometimes I wish Southwest flew international.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

the only reason to use mileage cards is if you are going to make use of the mileage in the right way.

Spending 25,000 miles to get a $250 domestic ticket is a waste (1 cent per mile).
    Spending 75,000 miles to get a $2,500 first class ticket to Maui is where it's at (3.3 cents per mile).

If you aren't using the miles for spendy travel, you are better off with 1% cash back.
    . . .

For business credit cards for folks with good credit, you may wanna check out advanta mastercards.

I just signed up (have amex, but need visa since not everyone takes amex).

Advanta offers 1% and 5% cash back AND an apr of 7.99%

I signed up for the mileage option, though, since the cash back rewards are capped at $300 per year ($30,000 in purchases). I figure I could always get gift cards and shit with the rewards program if I don't use the miles.

www.mycardmyway.com

this is the only card I have found that has good benies AND low rates.

their big tagline is "recommended for small business by SmartMoney magazine"
    . . .

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    LOL @ the title of this thread.

Shouldn't it be called "least worst credit card?" It's kinda like asking what the best root canal is. It's really a lose-lose.

At any rate, I second the REI Visa. Or anything that has a decent interest rate (besides only on balance transfers, ) gives you a rebate based on how much you spend with it, doesn't charge you a maintenance fee, and doesn't have two-cycle billing.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    On that note; has anyone found a creditor with a % rebate CC that will still pay out the rebate if you pay your car payments and mortgages with it?

:rubs hands together:

You can cash out the REI CC dividend in July I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL
    Shouldn't it be called "least worst credit card?" It's kinda like asking what the best root canal is. It's really a lose-lose.
    no way, man..
    I pay mine off at the end of every month and take every reward I can get. I never pay a penny of interest or other finance charges.

CC companies hate me. (:
    I actually have had citibank try to get me to take a card with less rewards..
    "why the hell should I do that?"
    "we can offer you a lower interest rate."
    "ok, given the fact that I pay off at the end of every month and therefore no interest, why the hell should I do that?"
    "uhh.. well.. uhh.."