What to do in DC?

You guys kicked ass with Cincy suggestions (although Skyline Chili was kind of a letdown), but now I'm heading to DC for 5 days for pure vacation purposes. Hooking up with a good buddy, ready to see some cool sites, drink at some cool bars, ride bikes all over the place and see what this town has to offer. Heading out there this Saturday through Wednesday. Any suggestions on how to spend my time?

I just came back from there last week. I went to a place called the 'District Chophouse and Brewery' at 7th and H. They've got some pretty good beers there, including a NW Amber and an IPA that were really tasty, and decent food. Also, a couple blocks up the street at 7th and F is an Irish bar called Fado that Tippster pointed me to. I went there but didn't stay too long but it looked pretty good. There's a bunch of places right around that area near Chinatown. Also, if you want some higher end stuff, the Capital Grille is pretty good as is The Caucus Room. But, it's kind of spendy. Sam and Harry's is another good one. There is no shortage of good restaurants there.

For things to see, DC is unmatched for tourist attractions if you like U.S. history. (Stating the incredibly obvious is a specialty of mine). Hook up with your local congressman and get some admission tickets to some of the sites. There's tons to see, especially if you think you want to hit all the Smithsonians. You can spend a week just seeing the stuff around the Mall. You can walk it all.

If your in the DC/MD area this time of year I would recommend finding someplace where you can get some hot steamed crabs and some cold beer. It will give you a taste of a regional specialty, and thats what traveling is all about.

For beers in DC you cant beat The Brickskellar (something like 22nd and N, N.W.) or R.F.D. (downtown across from the MCI center).

You could try and outdo frozenwater. Go up to #1 Observatory Circle, knock on the door and flip off the the Dick inside.

If you're looking for a good bar scene I would hit Adams Morgan and Georgetown. Once you are down there you can pretty much just walk from Bar to Bar. I would find yourself some Crabs for sure! This is about the perfect time of year so if you have any way to get out to Annapolis Maryland, go for it.

The crab thing for sure, but the best spots are likely outside of the city. About 15 years back, we camped at a little known regional park in Rockville, MD (Cabin John), and there was a great joint just down the road. Looked a bit like a biker bar, but the gravel parking lot was packed to the gills on a Friday. Picnic tables covered in brown butchers paper, and steaming blue crabs, with a crust of Old Bay, brought out by the dozen, on well used cookie sheets with a wooden malet and some picks to make life easier. Melted butter was extra, and beer was by the pitcher. You had a couple size ranges, on the crabs, to pick from too.

I've been to some fancy joints, but can't remember any better meal than that.

That was probably the Bethesda Crab House in Bethesda, MD.

There's lots of trails, parks, history, bars, restaurants, culture, sports, pretty much whatever you'd want to do in a city anda lot of pretty country not far away.

You could spend a day in Annapolis and check out the bay, maybe rent a sailboat, or you could go out to horse country in Middleburg, VA, it's beautiful. Pretty much depends what you like to do I guess.

Actually after I leave DC we're heading up to the Bay to go on an overnight sailing trip so hopefully the crab urge will be filled there, but I think crabs and beer could be a multiple night thing.

the Bethesda Crab House that iceman speaks of is LE SHIT (that, and it's a couple of blocks away from the Bethesda metro station, so transport shouldn't be a problem)
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Eating blue crabs with butter is like putting catsup on a bratwurst.

Try apple cider vinegar and extra old bay if you want to look like you know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by daPig
    Eating blue crabs with butter is like putting catsup on a bratwurst.
    yeah, it makes them taste good.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    yeah, it makes them taste good.
    The bitter one gets a barb in, crikey!

Actually I prefer the vinegar and Old Bay routine, but whatever floats yer boat, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Actually I prefer the vinegar and Old Bay routine, but whatever floats yer boat, mate.
    I like Old Bay but after a dozen+ crabs it gets tiring on the 'tummy.

Hit up an ethnic food restaraunt. Oddest I found was a Bolivian rest in Arlington off Lee Hwy (which has now closed I believe).

There's a lot of Salvadoran food in DC, you don't find that most places.

People say that DC has a terrific dining scene, but to be honest I've found it to be nothing special so far (but then, I have been spoiled...). Most of the good/authentic ethnic dining is now out in the suburbs surrounding DC, in places like Rockville.

Riding around in DC at this time of the year is a nice way to spend some time. Take a ride through Rock Creek Park on the weekend, and make it a loop, by joining up with the Capital Crescent Trail (plan on stops in Bethesda and Georgetown for foo/coffee or whatever).

Houston's Steakhouse in Rockville.

Vietnamese & Thai food is great in the DC area ... way better than we have in NYC. I think the place to go is called "Eden Center" and is in North Arlington Virginia.

It's just a bit of a travel out of DC to Northern Virginia for the authentic places, but it's worth it. The DC places are expensive and watered down. In the Clarendon neighborhood in Arlington, there's Queen Bee (Vietnamese). In Crystal City, try Crystal Saigon (or its sister restaurant Saigon Saigon in Pentagon City). Huong Que (4 Sisters) in Eden Center @Seven Corners.

Thai: I thought Duangrat's and Rabieng were overrated. Try Neisha Thai in Falls Church, Po Siam in Arlandria or Crystal Thai in Arlington instead. I also liked Benjarong in Rockville, Maryland.

Out of all of these, if you only had time for one, I'd say definately go to 4 Sisters, Huong Que restaurant, in the Eden Center.
    Probably the finest Sino-French Vietnamese restaurant I have tried in the US or abroad...

http://www.edencenter.com/

Probably a twenty minute drive - but sooo worth it!

Looks like most of the good stuff has been covered. If you're looking to bike a lot, check here: http://www.bikewashington.org/index.htm.

One somewhat off the beaten path things I've found to be interesting is the National Arboretum. Probably best accessed by car (kind of in a weird location), but worth a trip. Also, if the Nationals are in town, upper deck tickets are $7 and always available.

The previous posters were right about the best ethnic food being outside the District. Huong Que is great. Good Chinese in Rockville and Falls Church. The exception is sushi -- Sushi Taro in Dupont Circle is fantastic (Sushi-Ko in Glover Park is also good, but I prefer Sushi Taro).

There are quite a few good modern restaurants in the District (Italian, French, Latin American, Asian blend, American, etc.), so if you're looking for anything in particluar, chances are it'll be here.

You must go to Ben's Chili Bowl at 12th and U for late night eats, and you must order a chili half-smoke. It's an institution.

What to do in DC?

Ask da Mayor...

why Hookers and Blow, of course.

sheesh, I can't believe we're almost 20 posts into this thread and I'm the first one to suggest this.

edit to fix image
    Last edited by Tri-Ungulate; 09-07-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Oh, good old Mr. Barry, how could we forget! The crabs are sounding better and better. As for Asian food, coming from Seattle, we have that in abundance, but it's always good to know where the good stuff is. How about different neighborhoods, streets, etc. to check out. Cool coffee shops, funky shops, good bars, places to see shows, definitely more into the not-too-swanky joints, but still a good vibe and full of character.

THE BITCH SET HIM UP!