Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

surgery a success, what's next???

Well my ACL/MCL surgery was a success. I don't start physical therapy for a while yet because the MCL has to heal more before I can start bending my knee. I ended up quiting my job-my boss was totally cool with it-I told him I just didn't think I could stay sane driving a snowcat all season and not be able to ski. So as soon as Doc gives me clearance I'm going to move out of inversion hell. So with that I would like to ask you all a question. If you could move anywhere in the lower 48 where would you move and why? I'm sick of moving around every 4-6 months and am looking for a home base. Of course good skiing nearby is a must and must be dog friendly as well. I got a few places on my mind but nothing definite.

somewhere PNW
    I know I already live here, but I moved here for a reason.
    so I would move here
    Seriously good skiing first off, awesome BC easilly accesed winter and Spring, you can golf and mountain bike year 'round and there's never a shortage of things to do in the summer. I like the city life too and there's plenty to do in Seattle. Not the most econimical place to live (Seattle) but there are lot's of options that still are close to the mountains and the city.

boze-tucky

truckee

or b' ham
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

One post? JONG!!!

Good to hear you're on the mend.

Northport, Warshington. Pop. 200ish, 4 bars, close to Red Mountain.
    Last edited by Beaver; 01-29-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Bishop, Ca.
    Mammoth is 40 minutes away, Tuolomne Meadows/Yosemite about 1.5 hours, Eastern Sierras kick ass.

Originally posted by Viva
    Tahoe area and maybe Reno. There's year-round activities. You're dog will like it...he/she may balk at a move to Reno, however.
    Before you can live in Reno, you'll need to pop in for a tad more surgery with a frontal labotomy, otherwise you'll struggle to fit in.

...unless you're already happy to go shopping with your underwear round your ankles?
    01001001001001110110010000100000011100100110000101 11010001101000011001010111001000100000011000100110 01010010000001110011011010110110100101101001011011 100110011100101110

T,

How long are you laid up for? I know you don't want to keep moving around, but why not head someplace with a warm beach in the meantime? , I can't think of a better way to heal then sit on a beach with a drink watching the girls/waves.

Once it heals, then move back to the mountains.
    French Fries!

Originally posted by LCC
    T,

How long are you laid up for? I know you don't want to keep moving around, but why not head someplace with a warm beach in the meantime? , I can't think of a better way to heal then sit on a beach with a drink watching the girls/waves.

What he said.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I agree with that too. When I had my ACL recon/meniscus repair done a few years ago I spent my convalescent leave in Tampa at the in-laws house. I know moving from place to place gets old, but if you can find a cool place to stay while you're rehabbing and then look for something permanent, it's a nice way to do it. I would think anywhere you want to live is going to be close enough to skiing that it would make you nuts in the meantime...

Anyplace in the lower 48.......... Lots of options. From and EC perspetive I would move to (in order) SLC, N.L. Tahoe, Front Range Region, PNW Seattle, or Mt. Hood area in Ore.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Parliamentary procedure!

I second the motions above.

Make a temporary move to the beach while you rehab your knee . . . . then come back to Utah.

We'll leave the light on for ya

IG

P.S. Good luck with your new knee.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by LCC
    T,

I know hop would agree with this: Sayulita, Mexico. Although without a gym, rehab would consist of sitting on the beach, drinking beer, eating tacos, and hitting on the ladies.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Good to hear you're on the rebound.

Originally posted by Beaver
    Northport, Warshington. Pop. 200ish, 4 bars, close to Red Mountain.
    He can't live in Northport. He doesn't have a cousin to marry there.

I don't know how important this is, but Bishop is REALLY isolated. The closest airports are Reno and LAX which are 3 - 5 hours away. Personally, I can't stand living that far from an airport.

I'd definitely move to L.A. I mean, I live here, and I can't imagine a better place for a skier to live. Mammoth is only five hours away! Where else in the U.S. can you spend $350,000 on a two bedroom condo? And if you love to drive, you'll be doing plenty of it - well, not actually driving, but at least you'll be in your car. Like hiking in the summer? Come to L.A. - you can fly to all kinds of great places from LAX. You gotta dog, huh? Well if it likes to chase cars, you can't pick a better place than L.A. - the dog will be in heaven. I think your decision has been made for you.

Originally posted by SponsoredByDuctTape
    Where else in the U.S. can you spend $350,000 on a two bedroom condo?
    Try the Pearl District in Portland.

Also, on hiking in Los Angeles- Dude, wake up! San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino MTns, Santa Monica Mtns (especially in Malibu) are all on the edge of the city. In a couple of hours you can reach the San Jacintos, Lagunas, and Santa Anas. Baja's not too far either.

Last edited by Viva; 01-29-2004 at 03:44 PM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Wink

Gary Indiana. While layed up you'll be able to keep track of all the murders. Besides can a state that produced Jerry Springer be all bad?

Originally posted by Viva
    Also, on hiking in Los Angeles- Dude, wake up! San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino MTns, Santa Monica Mtns (especially in Malibu) are all on the edge of the city. In a couple of hours you can reach the San Jacintos, Lagunas, and Santa Anas. Baja's not too far either.
    IMHO, hiking/backpacking in SoCal is like walking through a mall with a backpack on. The last time I went hiking around here and didn't see at least ten other people was.....well, never. It was all sarcasm anyway, so whatever.

Wink

I've heard Michigan is nice.

It is nice. If you don't mind skiing little mountains.

Right On! That is good news easy. I am glad it went well. You may be missing the waterski season, but it sounds like you'll be primed for the ski season and that is what really counts.

Don't overdo it and listen to your physio. It will be frustrating but just keep thinking that if you do this right, you'll have the rest of your life to make up for it. If you fuck it up, you'll have the rest of your life to regret it.

Heal well mang.

Originally posted by Sublime
    It is nice. If you don't mind skiing little mountains.
    I like my little mountain.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Thumbs up

Hell I like your mountain to.

Hey...If they used a piece of your hamstring tendon to replace your acl, be careful
    not to pull your hamstring during rehab. I found that to be the hardest part.
    As far as living places, I'd probably move to northern NM or southern CO. You
    can't beat the climate and you can ski Taos, Wolf Creek, Teluride, Crested Butte, etc.

Good luck...I hope you like riding the stationary bike!

If I didn't live in the best place every I'd live in or around Seattle I like the vibe and the whole bike and ski year round thing (if you drive a lot as in to the hood),
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care