Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    I don't want to go via BrokeBasque Mountain. I want to live long enough to be a burden to my children.
    Signature removed for non-payment

"BrokeBasque", heh.

I don't think any of them are rich, though, sheepherding in the Pyrenees is just not where the money is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TannerP
    i beg to differ even though its a matter of opinion i would prefer to die skiing or doing something i love with the people i love than die in a bed. I personally knew someone who died skiing in tahoe they were 69 years old and still had life ahead of them but it sure was a way to go he was there with his family and friends and i suppose he was happy on that mountain. I want to die doing something awesome and be remembered for it.
    What's that line? "I want to die from paper cuts that I got from counting all of my money", at 90 years of age after skiing the shit out of every continent.
    Crikey my kids and I will miss 'em.
    Who cares how the crow flies

They're just doing what they love.
    Once again, a thread has come full circle...kinda
    Signature removed for non-payment

god damn stingrays.

Good one, Keoni.
    I think I'd like to go like the old guy did in Soylent Green.
    But in the real outdoors.
    Trippin my head off on the view and fadin to white.
    So skiing would probably fit me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Will we ever do it all? What's enough?

Somewhere in the cosmos there must be these dudes who, like Basque sheepherders, come up the mountain for the roundup. Every so often they catch someone. Or, like Bullet, someone escapes by doing the duck and cover, found by luck, and carries on to tell the story. When the big time clock in the sky punches you out, well, you're out.
    Sig quality Splat
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I grew up with a municipal golf course in my back yard. There was a pond back there and plenty to do, so I spent a lot of time hanging around the course as a youngster. A couple times every summer, some old guy would drop dead from a heart attack. I found a certain peacefullness in the death of old guys dying while doing something they loved. It seemed a better way to go than cancer or any other of the terrible diseases that end so many lives, and I think it translates beyond the elderly.

Irwin was young, but I still think he takes this death over being tenderized by a garbage truck, blown up in a plane, suffocating to death with a lung disease, stabbed by a thief, or whatall.

I guess its a matter of perspective and opinion. Death sucks when it comes early.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-05-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney
    I grew up with a municipal golf course in my back yard. There was a pond back there and plenty to do, so I spent a lot of time hanging around the course as a youngster. A couple times every summer, some old guy would drop dead from a heart attack. I found a certain peacefullness in the death of old guys dying while doing something they loved. It seemed a better way to go than cancer or any other of the terrible diseases that end so many lives, and I think it translates beyond the elderly.

Irwin was young, but I still think he takes this death over being tenderized by a garbage truck, blown up in a plane, suffocating to death with a lung disease, stabbed by a thief, or whatall.

I guess its a matter of perspective and opinion. Death sucks when it comes early.
    Can't really argue with that. I guess the "early" part is the problem after all.

Arrow

Just watched the Leno semgment featurign all the guest appearances Irwin had on the how. It was great!!! The world is greater for his life and less for his death.

------------

I'd rather die skiing when I'm 85 than in my sleep when I"m 45

Quote Originally Posted by seanvicious
    god damn stingrays.

HILLARIOUS
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Sad to hear that he left a wife and 2 kids...too bad he won't be able to see them grow up.

I wonder if his kids will grow up to be junior crocodile hunters or they'll learn that it’s a risky business.

This is getting deep...

...I'm actually fairly distressed at croc hunters passing...but then I laughed (hard) at the stingray cartoon above...and I actually metally picture the stabbing, barb removal and demise with funny croc hunter faces and over-acting....but at the same time I choke up a bit and feel the loss pretty damn hard...

...life is rather interesting isn't it...

I'd like to die when I'm 186 of a heart attack while getting a BJ from a super model while trying to land my hovercraft on a snow covered mountain.
    Calmer than you dude

To me, it's the kind of death you have that determines good or bad. I've seen quite a bit of both and to me it's the suffering that sucks the worst. Hence I am a huge advocate of oregon's death with dignity act. Say goodbye, take the pills, go to sleep.
    Of course our law is under constant attack by the bushies, the catholic church, etc.

I have lately been smiling when I notice the lines on my face, Because I feel grateful to have made it this far.
    Last edited by natty dread; 09-06-2006 at 07:49 AM.

Stories today say that yes his death is on film - but no he didn't pull the stinger out as his last act.

Now his family says Steve was no where near Boulder on that Christmas Eve and they have pictures to prove it.

Boulder DA is flying out to NZ to interview the stingray...

I don't know what to think anymore!?

^ demented, so why am I laughing?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

steve wouldnt want us to kill the stingray now would he?

String is offline PowderdDonutsMakeMeGoNuts
    Always loved watching the guy do his work. Catching a Black Mamba in a hut numerous hours from a hospital of any kind is fucking incredible. I'll miss seeing him.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by String
    Always loved watching the guy do his work. Catching a Black Mamba in a hut numerous hours from a hospital of any kind is fucking incredible. .
    you know why i watch animal shows?

the same reason people watch NASCAR, for the chance to see an idiot fucking around with a black mamba get fucked up.

I used to think dying young would be pretty cool until I had a kid. Now I'm ready for the long haul to see what they're up to as well as grandkids. I also want to write and paint and generally let my brain vomit at high-speed for a decade or so once my body has begun to slow down.

RIP steve
    Last edited by meatdrink9; 09-06-2006 at 08:56 PM.

people are remembering him today through this: