Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Sinners played at the Telluride Film Festival...the film is even more amazing when its all blown'd up and stuff.

I think I'm the only one here that didn't like the movie. Overkill on the slow-mo, and I'm still trying to figure out how to compare it with Immersion? I've got a copy and I'd be willing to sell it or trade it for another ski flick.

Wow, I just realized there was a link to this page on Bill's website. The internets sure are great. Anyway, watched the movie again last night, this has to take the total count between 100 and 150 viewings. The best part was, a friend of mine who isn't a real serious skier, was over and as we're flippin through the channels bitching about how crappy TV is and talking about how the first flakes of the year flew 2 nights ago here in NJ, he says "dude, it just snowed and it's almost winter, lets watch Sinners." Even my winter-hating, non-skiing mom likes the flick for some reason.

Whatever, I ramble too damn much, but I thought I would include this email exchange between me and Bill from last season, not to spam for his flick, because I've done enough of that, but just to wish good karma on the guy because he seems like a helluva nice dude.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 9:23 AM
    To: info@bhandf.com
    Subject: Sinners

Hi Bill,

I know this email is about one month late, but I had to write it sometime. I recieved a copy of your new movie, Sinners for Christmas this year, and along with it you threw in a free copy of Ski Your Ass Off 2. You talked to my mom about them, and she told me this after I got them. The second I unwrapped them I threw them into our DVD player and was amazed. Sinners is by far the most amazing ski film I have ever seen, and I watch many. The music, skiing, and narration by Dr. Snow were perfect. It was not the generic in your face ski movie, which is what made it so great. Every time I watch it I come to realization that, before all else I am a skier. I live in Blairstown, New Jersey, not exactly a skiing mecca, and this has gotten me through many snowless days. Just wanted to say thank you for the great film, if I'm ever in Nelson, I'll be sure to stop by your office. Keep the great movies coming.

Sincerely,
    Glademaster
    glademaster@blair.edu

Bill's reply:
    "Thank you so much for the kind words Ben.
    That is the effect i hoped for. You made my day!

It snowed 67cms over the last three days and i just returned from my first midweek shred of the year. So coming home to such a heartwarming letter is the icing on the cake!

All the best!"

Bill [Heath]

Maybe I'm just a dork, but I seriously love the flick.
    Last edited by glademaster; 11-14-2004 at 09:02 PM.

Best Film on Mountain Sports went to Sinners at the Banff Mountain Film Festival

I had been saving it till my dad's birthday to give it to him. I just opened it and watched it tonight cause I gave it to him on the 13th and he's now in India... and I couldn't resist.

I'm blown away. I'm going to have to spend a solid couple weekends watching that again. and again. and again.

Amazing art.

i should have ordered the box set, i keep watching the preview for the other ski movie

heh, anybody notice this? theres a link to this thread on Bill's website! Just scroll down, you'll see it.

Talking

Yeah, I saw that a few months ago. Apparently it's been up for a while.

I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread so I hope I'm not repeating what's been said but when I showed this film as a prelude to Soul Purpose at Brewvies in SLC earlier this month, I had a lot of people who came up to me and said that they liked Sinners better than Soul Purpose (sorry TGR)

I think that's because most of us mortals can relate to Sinners and picture ourselves in Sinners more than we can to SP. I particularly dig the soundtrack.

Of note, when I put Sinners in the DVD to play on the big screen it was better sound quality than the Soul Purpose DVD. Night and day difference in production quality. hmmmm.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster
    Does anyone agree?
    I agree that it must be pretty nice to...

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster
    ....be heading out to that part of BC this summer to look at real estate
    ...at age 16.

I guess no washing dishes and fitting fat ladies in boots and living in a tent all summer for you.

$must be nice$

Exclamation

OK, I suppose I should have added that my folks and I were, being 15, I thought that went without saying. Whatever, it isn't worth starting a flame war over a technicality.

Was introduced to Sinners by Pinner. Great flick fellas.....really captures the soul of skiing with bros.

Thumbs up

I'm glad DVD's dont wear out the way VHS tapes do. I took a few month break from watching Sinners, but after 2 months straight of bashing gates as my only form of skiing, I needed some powdery respite. Like it or not, there is something special about the flick that few other ski movies seem to posses.

So the Telluride film festival screening just made its stop by hampshire college. I went just for Sinners. Awesome!! Like a 24 minutes snowgasm. Such a refreshing change from most ski movies. Loved it!

We just received this movie last night and watched it. Awesome powder.... but aack! 22 minutes? It gave me blue balls. And I don't even have balls. Guess I'll just have to watch it 3 times in a row or something. A bit expensive for only 22 minutes, but it was a good movie. Tons of powder, and I liked the soundtrack much better than most.
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

Wait, the whole movie is 22 minutes? I saw the Banff Festival, and thought that was only part of the movie - is the DVD version really that short?

yeah, the dvd timer thingy said 22 minutes when it was over. I dunno, am I missing something??
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

Nope, short and SWEET. The best way.

Saw it at the Banff film festival. Liked it a lot.

'nuff said.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Saw this last night at the Banff film festival.

Add me to the (short) list of those who didn't like this movie. Seemed to be mostly slow-motion shots of skiers crashing in really nice looking pow, and most of the time, not even really trying to stick their landings, just crashing.

There were a few scenes I did like, with some nice powder turns, cold smoke billowing up overhead. But that's about it.

All the Ritter songs sounded the same too... but it was a nice change from the usual suburban-white-boy-rap-metal-thrash-pseudo-angst from the ski films.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Saw this last night at the Banff film festival.

Add me to the (short) list of those who didn't like this movie. Seemed to be mostly slow-motion shots of skiers crashing in really nice looking pow, and most of the time, not even really trying to stick their landings, just crashing.

There were a few scenes I did like, with some nice powder turns, cold smoke billowing up overhead. But that's about it.

All the Ritter songs sounded the same too... but it was a nice change from the usual suburban-white-boy-rap-metal-thrash-pseudo-angst from the ski films.
    I agree. Some pretty snowfall shots, but overall the film just doesn't do much for me.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by snowfire
    yeah, the dvd timer thingy said 22 minutes when it was over. I dunno, am I missing something??
    It last longer if you are stoned off your gourd. Then put it on repeat.

The best seg IMHO is after the yellow sledneck Mass, cutting into Josh Ritter in the background singing his soul, facking great tune and sequence. I have watched that seg 100 times plus. Hell, my wife knows can sign to it from the other room it gets played so much.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I watch it more often than my other skiing flicks. I like the few Lester Quitzau songs a lot more than the Ritter songs.

I can see how Sinners doesn't appeal to everyone. I loaned it to my younger sister and her hubby (both boarders). They said the "old man" just didn't do it for them.

Thumbs up

Popped Sinners in last night before heading up to bed. There's something nice about living in NJ and watching a ski movie in June. Yes it's short, yes, nobody in the flick rips like Nobis or Morrison, but there's something about this flick that no other ski movie I've seen has.

Sinners=Summer sanity for someone stuck in NJ

just got done watching it for maybe the 100th time or so and think this movie is what it's all about. I frickin love my family, one hitters and the taste of jack daniels. Oh yeah, Last post with this name so Catch you on the other side.