View Poll Results: What would get you to use an ABS pack?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • If it weighed 3-4 pounds less and cost $400

11 15.07%
  • If it weighed 3-4 pounds less and cost $200

21 28.77%
  • If it just weighed less

5 6.85%
  • If it just cost less

25 34.25%
  • I don't feel I need the added safety an ABS could add, no matter the cost

3 4.11%
  • Only a queer ass, fartbag wearing, heli skier would where one.

9 12.33%
  • If it were free, I'd use it.

18 24.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What would get you to buy/use an ABS pack? Poll

Well, I'm wondering what the bottom line is for the reason most folks aren't using these. I didn't do a poll on the original thread, so maybe this poll will see if cost is an issue.

Is it the extra 3-4 pounds?
    Don't like the pack itselft?
    It's gay, only a puss ass fag would be caught dead (alive) using one?
    I'm too damn good to ever get caught?
    Costs too much, I need to save money for beer?

I don't see a poll .

For me it's always been several reasons:

• Waiting for the product to stabilise (no point buying something if they stop producing them/stop producing replacement parts (specifically cartridges)). This seems like it's a non-issue nowadays?
    • Price
    • Skiing involves international flight for me, and travelling with cartridges would be a PITA
    • Weight, although I'm a dumbass who uses metal Salomons and Trekkers so I'm used to obscene amounts of weight.

cost + function as a ski pack (fit and accomidating gear) + weight

all vs.

potential for consequence mitigation in the event of being caught in a slide
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    I don't see a poll .
    Really? I posted the thread with a poll, I see it?

Huh. Now I see it. Might be like how sometimes I'll open a TR and not see pictures even though everyone else is clearly seeing them, then come back later and they're there. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    Huh. Now I see it. Might be like how sometimes I'll open a TR and not see pictures even though everyone else is clearly seeing them, then come back later and they're there. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Yup, you're just crazy. Maybe you can make it to your Optho monday.

I'm going to price them out in Nov. when I am in Germany . Also, I will look for deals on German ebay. Once in awhile, I see them offered by Ski-Bilek. Other than cost, I see no reason why the ABS pack should not be used by anyone who frequents the BC
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Mainly the cost here. I don't care about the weight. I am no mule by any means but the added weight wouldn't bother me.

I already ski with one so i can't answer the poll.

A comparable pack from Black Diamond in a 25L size weighs 3.5 pounds less. That's a pair of Dynafits compared to the holy grail at TGR of Fritschi Freerides.

So, get Dyna's and the ABS, and you'll be carrying the same weight.

If they could get the weight down to something resonable, and in a pack that I like ( size I like, features, harness system, pockets, sleaves, etc......).

But, I'm waiting for the next generation to come to market, that will make these "problems," all moot.....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

freaks~in~creeks Guest
    what the market appears to be suggesting is:

as someone who claims to have one of the biggest cases of elephantitis of the balls, BELOW XERO has volunteered to have his sack removed to be cut up and the abundance of sack skin dried and hand sewn into smaller sacks to be sewn into the ABS PACKS to be used as Ballistic Avalanche Life Saving Sacks, or BALSS.
    THESE Small BALSS will have a user friendly mouth piece which can easily be inserted orally
    if the user is caught in an avalanche, he will need to stick the BALSS in his mouth , and begin a steadily sucking in and blowing out.
    a two way mouth piece valve ensures that co2 is not blown back into the BALSS.
    the design is very user friendly
    BELOW XEROS motto:"IF YOUR GOING DOWN, SUCK BALSS!!"

THIS design will sell alot of packs

Watch the vid at around the 3:30. Check out the ABS packs in the human triggered slide, and listen to the stats. It is hard to deny the impressive statistics with these things.

Again, for me 3 pounds isn't a big deal. Most people on this board could lose 3 pounds from their bellies pretty easy just by touring more. It's like the cycling geeks spending hundreds on a bike component that has weight savings measured in grams.

I agree, the cost has held me back in the past, but not anymore.

For me, I'd like it to weigh a lot less and maybe cost a bit less. Then add the avalung to it and at least I can breath while I'm sitting face down just under the surface. My understanding is that this is a common position you end up in. If the danger isn't pretty low, I still think solo BC is a pretty big risk. My lines are way different solo. I know nothing should change my decision making process, but I go ultra safe if there is no way to get help.

Also, the weight's only an issue because I hike with superfit crazy people who don't like to wait. On that note, you Trackhead should be required to carry not only an ABS pack for yourself, but also your partners

I'm guessing you don't use a full face helmet and mouth guard when you ski. Do you use a helmet at all? It's a big sport with a ton of different facets. You happen to be in an elite niche of the sport where something like this is worth it for you. That doesn't mean it's worth it for the rest of us. Just like wearing a full face and using a mouth guard probably doesn't make sense for you.

If I were to spend the time in the BC that you do I'd already own one.

what vid? did i miss something?

i'm very interested in an ABS pack. for me, money is certainly more an issue than weight - i tour on explosivs (and dynafits, admittedly), and my current pack certainly isn't a featherlight.
    so, being broke and stuck back east this winter its not an issue. next winter i'll reconsider.

either that, or i'll just steal one of the airplane lifejackets from under my seat on friday and gorrilla glue that shit onto my pack.

Another thing is the lack of an effective ski-harness system for bootpacking.

GOOD POINT TOBY

did I mention functionality of these packs has been lacking in the samples I've seen (although the last one I saw was two modem years ago)

I think these were originally designed for sledders and cat/heliskiers who don't need fucntional packs and don't care about weight.

I think are now trying to adapt them for our community. There is no way a truly dedicated BC skier company should release a BC pack with such bad functionality.

The number one reason I would wear one is that sometimes I may find myself in rescue situations. Perhaps one more year will see improved design, function, weight, price, and the inclusion of an avalung (if only as a provision for an aftermarket addon option),

squirrelmurphy: brilliant! steal two!

steal four! (two for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    squirrelmurphy: brilliant! steal two!

steal four! (two for me)
    Oh Great!!!

Now we have to worry about what people are taking OFF the airplane Vs. what they are thaking On the airplane......
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I think these were originally designed for sledders and cat/heliskiers who don't need fucntional packs and don't care about weight.

I think are now trying to adapt them for our community. There is no way a truly dedicated BC skier company should release a BC pack with such bad functionality.
    You've gotta be wrong on that. They're from Germany AFAIK. In Austria I've only seen sleds used by mountain operations - no BC, no trailriding, no highmarking, nothing. No catskiing that I know of and a very limited heliskiing scene in comparison to North America (e.g. I only know of one "heliskiing" operation in Austria. Population density and environmental concerns in Europe prohibit that sort of thing. They must've been designed for tourers.
    Last edited by Toby; 08-26-2006 at 10:11 PM.

OK then I just don't get how they came up with the designs they did...

Neither do I. The newer packs look better than the older packs, but still ...

Nice vote, TH.

I could loose at least 3 lbs from my belly.

Am still considering purchase, hard to justify SO much expensive bc specific gear to mrs L-B when my resort gear needs updating as well.

Google turned up this interesting thread.