Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing skin glue from ski bases?

Hello!

I managed to leave my ski mountaineering skis in a black box all summer long, with skins on. Needless to say, a lot of the glue is now on the bases (and I may have to retouch the skins' glue, yikes).

I am thinking a good old hot scraping should work but don't want to end up with a glued iron either. What do people do? I'd like to avoid using solvents since they dry bases quite a lot.

drC - Fumbler

I use the orange clean degreaser to clean pine tar off of my bases, and as long as you're using the brand name stuff, it doesn't dry the bases very much. Try it out on a small section near the tails.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

what he said - Citra-Solv won't damage the bases, but once you've gotten all the glue and degreaser off, you'll probably need to wax
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I tried some of that citrus stuff and it didn't do shit.

Acetone, isopropanol or heat (iron with the paper bag deal), didn't work either.

Coleman white gas worked like a charm, though.

Bases needed waxing something fierce after that.

This was from glue peeling off BD/Ascension standard STS skins, though I'm pretty sure it was from one of the bad glue batches.

Related question: at the end of the season I dropped one of my skins into a pile of hay, sticky side down. Now there is all kinds of grass/hay/greenery stuck to the skins. And some scraps of plastic grocery bags.

All of these items tear very easily, making them near impossible to remove. Any ideas?

I did the same thing last summer.

I used a citrus solvent and two hot scrapes. They were fine.

Particle...........tweezers? hee hee
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Brown paper grocery bag between iron and ski base. Get base hot with iron. Scrape with metal scraper. Same process for skins. Should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kya
    Brown paper grocery bag between iron and ski base. Get base hot with iron. Scrape with metal scraper. Same process for skins. Should do the trick.
    listen to the man. he is wise beyond his years.

I'll try the paper bag. Thanks mangs. Particle, time to reglue?

Thirded on the brown paper bag. Newspaper works too.

Particle-you're going to be regluing your skins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

paper bag 4rth, or better yet- skiing about fifty feet on man-made or refrozen spring snow will do the trick too.
    Citrus degreasers leave an oily film on the base, and any kind of harsh chemical is not good for you or your bases.

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood
    paper bag 4rth, or better yet- skiing about fifty feet on man-made or refrozen spring snow will do the trick too.
    Maybe, maybe not. As I said above, the iron/paper bag trick was pretty much useless in my situation. I went through several bags and got some of the shit off, but plenty remained, YMMV. And I'd already skied through a shit-ton of refrozen the day before I removed the glue goobers from the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood
    Citrus degreasers leave an oily film on the base, and any kind of harsh chemical is not good for you or your bases.
    I'm wondering how bad solvents actually are, whether they do permanent damage or just dry out the bases. Does anybody know for certain how the chemmistry works? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate
    I'm wondering how bad solvents actually are, whether they do permanent
    damage or just dry out the bases. Does anybody know for certain how the
    chemmistry works? I'm curious.
    Tri-U, I can't give you the stochiometrically-correct answer that you
    seek, but I can say that I've used nothing but Coleman fluid to clean
    my bases (skin glue, wax, whatever) for years.

As far as the long term safety of doing so goes, I can't say. I'm a gear
    whore, so it's rare for me to ski a pair of skis more that 3 or 4 years.

In those timeframes, I still haven't noticed any bad effects from using
    it.

cheers,
    john

Brown paper bag: it rocks! I had 5 minutes and did one ski and trust me there was a lot of glue there; it just got off so easily when warm. I'll come back to it and will finish with a couple hot scrapes. Sweet. Thanks for the advice.

For those who care, the glue is from BD Ascension Clipfix skins from 3 years ago. Other glues may give you different levels of trouble.

drC

Another Technique

Here's what works for lots of clumps of old skin glue from skins that were left on over the summer:

Use the brown paper and iron to get the major part of the glue off, and heat the ski base to facilitate the next step.

While still hot, wipe the remainder off the base with varsol and a shop towel. The still warm glue is now easily dissolved by the varsol.

Use the citrus cleaner to remove the varsol residue.

Use the new style glass cleaners like 'invisible glass' to remove the citrus cleaner residue.

Now you can reapply your base wax if that's what you normally do, or leave the base as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post

Coleman white gas worked like a charm
    This worked for me! Considering the skis with glue on them, have countless days and should be retired, I didn't think twice about doing harm to them.

Thanks all for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Related question: at the end of the season I dropped one of my skins into a pile of hay, sticky side down. Now there is all kinds of grass/hay/greenery stuck to the skins. And some scraps of plastic grocery bags.

All of these items tear very easily, making them near impossible to remove. Any ideas?
    A heat gun with scraper but you will have to take off the glue and reapply. I do this with a heat gun and scraper. This is by far the easiest way to remove and reapply the glue. Once you heat up the glue with the heat gun it is really easy to take off or put on.

If you don't have a heat gun get you can get one online for $20 or less. They will cost you $50 at the hardware store.

MEK

Peanut Butter works amazing for a relatively small amount of glue on your board/skis. Just wipe some over the sticky part for a few minutes and wipe off with paper towels, etc.

Found this thread today... Tried a number of the recommendations above that I had handy. First just friction, then heat gun plus paper towel, then rubbing alcohol, then some bottle of citrus cleaner, then iron over paper towel... All to no avail. The glue residue on my bases was really thin... but super sticky. Got to the post above recommending peanut butter which somehow led me to a jar of Mayo. That did the trick. used dish soap and water to get the greasy mayo residue off afterwards. Waxed up and they're ready to go.

I'll have to keep the condiments remedy in mind if this happens again to clean the residue. As far as the G3 skins went, I ended up doing what others said and just bought new skins rather than trying to reglue them myself. Maybe this summer I will try to reglue the old pair to have as a backup, I'll just use BD glue rather than the G3 sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    I tried some of that citrus stuff and it didn't do shit
    You used the wrong citrus shit. Most citrus shit is indeed shit, low percentage citrus solvent, high percentage marketing. This stuff works great for removing wax, a favorite among XC ski racers to remove klister:

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBC View Post
    I'll have to keep the condiments remedy in mind if this happens again to clean the residue. As far as the G3 skins went, I ended up doing what others said and just bought new skins rather than trying to reglue them myself. Maybe this summer I will try to reglue the old pair to have as a backup, I'll just use BD glue rather than the G3 sheets
    I think this ^^ idea was perpetuated by people who did not properly setup to do the job cuz if you don't you will have glu and smoo everywhere, otherwise its not that hard to reglue skins,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Funny that came to this tread from a google search. Everything else was about putting new adhesive on skins. Tried the paper bag route and it worked for the worst. Then tried Goof Off pro strength and worked really well. Stinks so leave after using or open window.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

red belt sander
    watch out for snakes