Page 60 of 79 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1952
    The root wad looks so small for such a large tree, and no big roots. Is that normal for sequoia, or maybe too much soil compaction from the tourists perhaps?

Good question. Supposedly, failure from wind events if the main cause of death for that species.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Not mine. Yosemite. Mine was a pondo pine. Maybe 28” dbh. It’s hard for me to understand scale of that sequoia. The Yosemite FB page said that it was a large one from the Mariposa Grove.
    I imagine they’ll just leave it there.

yup
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

And just reroute that trail (or whatever that is that it fell across).

Big wind event in much of California this week. We had one of our neighbor’s beetle kill pondo pines fall onto our property. Broke about three feet above the ground. No damage, but it could have fallen on another neighbor’s house. It makes me glad that I cut down our very large beetle killed pondo a few years ago. Usually, the beetle kill ponderosa pines snap at their top and the rest of the trunk turns into a snag and rots in place, but occasionally, the whole thing will drop and make a mess.

If you had to remove this, how’d you do it? It’s a giant sequoia in Yosemite from the wind event.
    Attachment 359031
    You'd need to check in on the dynamite thread for that one.

yeah that’s what we would have done on my crew in the past

BOOM

Like it’s a dead beached whale!!

we did that for dead horses in the backcountry as well

they call it “scatter burying”

It sounds like an excuse for boom-boom.... but a fun excuse! (Bring an umbrella!)

no it’s totally necessary

dead critters in the trail attract bears

Chainsaw! Lop and scatter :P

yuk

Well it is a chainsaw thread.... :P

Somebody around me is selling an older stihl 090 for $800. Claimed that it’s running great, but that it hasn’t been used since 2001. It was used as a ripping saw at that time. If somebody is interested, ping me and I can give contact info.

Well it is a chainsaw thread.... :P

and we talk about the APPROPRIATE use of saws here

Too funny. Chainsaw rips meat and shatters bone into shards leaving a kerf almost twice the width of the bar. Reciprocating saw is a much better tool for coarse butchery. Experience with both used on large animal backbones. With a chainsaw, the wire mesh face shield is no bueno. Rubberized rain gear and full face shield required.

dynamite works great

If anyone is looking for a spare bar and chains, especially for firewood cutting - I'm looking to clean some stuff out of the shop.

20" Stihl bar - used, but not abused. Maintained w/ lots of life left. 3/8" pitch, 0.05" gauge, 72 drive links. Scabbard included.

All four chains listed below are correct fit for this bar and require a round file for sharpening:

2 - Stihl Rapid Super (RS) - this is their full chisel chain. Cuts great, but not as fast as square ground. (1 chain NIB, 1 chain w/ 95% tooth remaining)
    1 - Stihl Rapid Super Full (RSF) - this is their full chisel, full skip chain. Cuts pine really well, and most softwoods well. (NIB)
    1 - Stihl Rapid Micro 3 (RM3) - this is their "low kickback" semi-chisel (85% tooth remaining)

$33 + cost of shipping? Less? Can send pics via email if anyone is interested.

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post
    If anyone is looking for a spare bar and chains, especially for firewood cutting - I'm looking to clean some stuff out of the shop.

20" Stihl bar - used, but not abused. Maintained w/ lots of life left. 3/8" pitch, 0.05" gauge, 72 drive links. Scabbard included.

All four chains listed below are correct fit for this bar and require a round file for sharpening:

2 - Stihl Rapid Super (RS) - this is their full chisel chain. Cuts great, but not as fast as square ground. (1 chain NIB, 1 chain w/ 95% tooth remaining)
    1 - Stihl Rapid Super Full (RSF) - this is their full chisel, full skip chain. Cuts pine really well, and most softwoods well. (NIB)
    1 - Stihl Rapid Micro 3 (RM3) - this is their "low kickback" semi-chisel (85% tooth remaining)

$33 + cost of shipping? Less? Can send pics via email if anyone is interested.
    That’s a killer deal.

Just brought back my stepdads husky 50, it’s been hanging chain down for maybe 5 years unused. Put mix in but I can’t get it to turn over. Have spark and when I took the air filter off it’s putting off smoke as you try to turn it over so I think it has compression, it’s old, and dirty, so maybe this is a project where I need to strip it down completely and rebuild the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Just brought back my stepdads husky 50, it’s been hanging chain down for maybe 5 years unused. Put mix in but I can’t get it to turn over. Have spark and when I took the air filter off it’s putting off smoke as you try to turn it over so I think it has compression, it’s old, and dirty, so maybe this is a project where I need to strip it down completely and rebuild the whole thing.

I have a Husky Rancher 61, great saw. I bought it used 20 years ago, currently not running because the fuel line split and it's sucking air not fuel. Easy fix, I just have get to it.

Buy a carb kit for it and clean/rebuild your carb, it's easy and fun for the whole family. I did mine 6-7 years ago.

If it's been sitting it might even be as simple a a stuck float.

Thanks all. Thing is filthy so I may pull all the plastics and actually dive into a full strip/rebuild for fun, unfortunately the stepfather is on his deathbed so may be a nice project to bring it back to life looking brand new

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

That carb is probably gummed up from sitting that long. See if she'll fire on some starting fluid or raw gas sprayed right in the carb.

If she fires with direct application of go juice like ymjc suggests - Take a look at your fuel lines. They can gum up and or split over time.