Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1952
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    It might be surpassed by the 36v Makita chainsaw I got for home yard work if battery life is ok. The electric saw is slower, but it is also nearly silent
    This. I'm on Makita 18v for everything and have the 36v hedge trimmer with the 25" bar and the 36v modular weed eater that you can swap out to be a pole saw and other stuff. Power and battery life consistently blows me away.

I don't have a need for the chainsaw right now, but if I did, I don't doubt it would hold its own.

Not having to mess with carbs, oil mixing, etc. is so damn nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Not too exciting, but I told I'll advised strategy is get some pictures cutting this year. West desert juniper killing

When we first moved to the new place, falling trees were part of the forest and we got used to it. Then an 11 tree domino brought down huge alders and Cedar so two Stihls, a 391 and a 291 went to work. Been real happy with them. the 391 runs 20 or 25" bars (and a skip-tooth for burly jobs) and the 291 trims and gets around the trees better. Best investment I've made in the tool department but have heard some complaints with the higher use of plastics on the newer models. So far...so good!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have a husqie 455 with a 24" bar that I've packed in a bit - it's similar in terms of weight and dimensions to the 462 (albeit way less powerful), and it kinda sucks riding with that thing. It's noticeably more work than riding with a ~50cc saw, and realistically, a 50cc saw will handle everything that I regularly encounter. Biggest thing I really ever cut is maybe a 2' softwood.
    You'll like the 455 a lot better with a shorter bar on it

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    You'll like the 455 a lot better with a shorter bar on it
    I mostly just run the long bar for firewood. Less bending over.

watched a small timber op for a bit earlier this week on the lot next to my tire guy. the lot was being cleared for home construction. 2 fellers and the truck/crane operator. fellers were also working a little skid steer loader to move the logs and slash. both fellers were running ms46Xs. one looked like ~36" bar, the other was using a shorter ~24" bar. while i was there, they were felling ~40-50 year old pondo pines and incense cedars. twas fun watching the dude loading the truck with the crane.

Heli pruning and high voltage wires

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2esxb4H...=14gx2mb7fpbxy

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Heli pruning and high voltage wires

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2esxb4H...=14gx2mb7fpbxy
    So how often do you figure they clip the wires with those things? Maybe it's just the perspective, but it seemed like they were pretty close - not much of a margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    watched a small timber op for a bit earlier this week on the lot next to my tire guy. the lot was being cleared for home construction. 2 fellers and the truck/crane operator. fellers were also working a little skid steer loader to move the logs and slash. both fellers were running ms46Xs. one looked like ~36" bar, the other was using a shorter ~24" bar. while i was there, they were felling ~40-50 year old pondo pines and incense cedars. twas fun watching the dude loading the truck with the crane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2532.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	313438
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I am writing from the ICU of a regional hospital that sees a fair share of timber industry accidents. Today my father is one of them.

I can’t sleep, he finally is, so here is a bit of a story. My dad is a third generation timber feller. He is nearing 60yo and has been at it in the PNW for 40 years. I ended the family tradition.

Today he was cutting a mid sized maple. It barber chaired on him and he couldn’t get out of its way. “I have always been able to get out of their way,” he said today. He has no head, neck, or spine injuries. He has significant thoracic trauma. He has been alert and awake. He hiked himself out to the landing where the rest of the crew were, it took a couple of hours, and then had an ambulance ride from there.

Last week he had another maple go a-rye too. It went over his head.

He got out of the woods today, but he is not out of the woods. His health is not the greatest and he is now at risk of a variety of complications. He is holding steady tonight, and I expect him to be awake in the morning to see where we go from there.

Why am I writing this and why here? Well mostly to be busy and also to avoid writing on Facebook where there will be a pile of family and friends to reply to. However, mostly for the collective who fuck around with saws (myself included). Shit can go wrong in a big fucking hurry when sawing on wood. Please be careful ya’ll. Please know when you are “over skiing” your ability and when to shut her down. Wear your safety shit. Don’t cut above your shoulders. Have your escape routes. Quit when you are tired. Know that maple, alder, and the like are unpredictable.

I hope my dad gets out of here. I hope he decides that it’s time to hang it up. Both are just hopes right now.

Damn - that’s a tough read full of some very wise warnings. I’ve known plenty of farmers with bad limps and worse at the hands of a saw. Things happen fast to folks who are accustomed to living with danger. My best to your dad and family.

That's scary. Never had a tree barberchair on me, but have cut a few where I was worried about it. Those things are sketchy. Best wishes to your dad - he sounds like a tough mofo that'll pull through alright.

Best wishes to you and your family storm hood

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Best wishes to you and your family storm hood
    This.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Storm, hope the old man makes a strong come back. My dad ended up in the ER last year from a chainsaw accident. He's 80.

Thanks everyone! He had an OK day. Somewhat better in somethings and somewhat worse in others. He has a pair of chest tubes draining air and fluid; Hemopneumothorax.

Thankfully, no tension and no fluid in the pericardium.

12 broken ribs and a complete flail of one side of his rib cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Thanks everyone! He had an OK day. Somewhat better in somethings and somewhat worse in others. He has a pair of chest tubes draining air and fluid; Hemopneumothorax.

Thankfully, no tension and no fluid in the pericardium.

12 broken ribs and a complete flail of one side of his rib cage.
    And he hiked himself out? Jesus! He is one tough hombre, hoping for the best. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Oh no sorry to read this Storm Hood.

Hope your pops is healing well.

I’ve been out every day for a few weeks now bucking up storm damage and standing dead.

I got a lot of sticks to pull out once it dries a bit.

This has been discussed in here a bit, but figured I'd post a follow up. Got one of the Milwaukee electric saws last summer. It's no replacement for a bigger gasser, but it's great for small projects and trailwork. The quietness is nice, and it's certainly torquey.

This is one battery's worth of cutting. All soft wood.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Oh no sorry to read this Storm Hood.

Hope your pops is healing well.

I’ve been out every day for a few weeks now bucking up storm damage and standing dead.

I got a lot of sticks to pull out once it dries a bit.
    My dad is healing ok. Working hard to convince him to stay out of the public and take Corona seriously.

Good to hear and keep pushing him to be cautious because the injuries have him at greater risk.

Pawn shop saw - $250. It was pricey but I gritted my teeth.

036 PRO

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_143910 (1).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	321771

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Pawn shop saw - $250. It was pricey but I gritted my teeth.

036 PRO
    She's a real beaut' Clark