Page 43 of 79 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1952
    20k isnt much for a bike nowdays but since you are riding bikes for fun how much is your fun worth ?

in any case we aren't talking about 20,000$ motorcyces we are talking about walking into a store to spend 800$ for a 261/361/XP550 which are the best versions of A tool one can buy to do work, a tool that will cut more wood trouble free for longer and last you for many years if you take the proper care of it

OR you could cycle thru 2 or 3 poulans for the same 800$ , had the low performance / shitty time as each one slowly died in turn and at the end you got nothing,

If that math works for you go for it eh
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hey - I wouldn’t suggest someone purchase their first skis from Walmart- and I wouldn’t suggest anyone get a Walmart chainsaw either. but to each their own. I was spoilt myself as I received my first “pro-model” saw for my 13th birthday. I’ve used some shit saws since and I wouldn’t wish em on anyone. I see it kind of like using dull knives. Bad saws lead to fatigue, frustration and bad form - those things are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Put a new carb, hoses, fuel and air filters on the 026 and it rips now.

Hopefully next paycheck will be converting to 3/8 on a much longer bar.
    You ever see hot saws 101 on YouTube? Dudes a full on saw dork-he has a twenty minute video on oil-and has built a few little ripper saws. Probably not that applicable for you, but entertaining. Let us know how the 026 does!

A souped up Poulan would rip eh !

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    20k isnt much for a bike nowdays but since you are riding bikes for fun how much is your fun worth ?

in any case we aren't talking about 20,000$ motorcyces we are talking about walking into a store to spend 800$ for a 261/361/XP550 which are the best versions of A tool one can buy to do work, a tool that will cut more wood trouble free for longer and last you for many years if you take the proper care of it

OR you could cycle thru 2 or 3 poulans for the same 800$ , had the low performance / shitty time as each one slowly died in turn and at the end you got nothing,

If that math works for you go for it eh
    I've spent plenty of time using assorted pro saws, and even more time using mid level, ~$400 saws. The pro saws are clearly superior, but for the average homeowner that's doing some yardwork and cutting a bit of firewood, throwing $800 at a saw is entirely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've spent plenty of time using assorted pro saws, and even more time using mid level, ~$400 saws. The pro saws are clearly superior, but for the average homeowner that's doing some yardwork and cutting a bit of firewood, throwing $800 at a saw is entirely unnecessary.
    Unless you want to hand it down to your grandkids. lulz

I agree to some extent which is why I asked whats the app ?

The model numbers don't really make any logical sense to me especially on older saws compared to new saws, so I have to goggle them but most end users have no idea what the app is of the saw they are using or that there is an app, so the saw is just a saw that only cost the least amount of money possible, it will be used/overused until its dead whereas the pro saw is built to run flat out all day and take whatever you can do to it

Cuz people don't tend to stop at a big piece of wood or half way thru a big bucking job to let that cheap saw with the plastic engine cases cool down, many don't really know how to sharpen a chain so buddy just leans on it harder and it just gets hotter until it doesnt

So instead of blowing up 3 of them cheap saws you could have bought a pro saw and as counselor Hutz the logger turned lawyer said ... you would only cry once

a friend and i have stihl saws that look similar on paper for power, but mine is "pro" level and his is "homeowner,. he is careful about use of ethanol fuel and (over) uses a shop to keep it tuned and his chains sharp. working together and swapping saws, mine is considerably faster (lighter, too).

below is a pict from this week of the repairs backlog at one of the handful of local small engine repair shops in my area. being CA, i'd bet that most of these saw have carb issues related to ethanol fuel where a carb kit would solve the problem. and that's not related to model # of the saw.

Name:  saw repair backlog may2019.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  160.4 KB

I duno if the fuel is any different up here but I experiance no problems running premium in small engines

if the shop is full of Huskavarna and Sthil obviously they suck

get the red one er I mean the Orange one !

It’s a user problem. Trying to run ethanol-Ed fuel that they probably bought last spring/summer.

always dump the bottom of last year's fuel jug in the truck and dilute by filling the tank, even if its premix & premium

Going cheap on the fuel and or not using fuel conditioner is just not worth the hassles you may end up with,

no starting problems on any of my small engines lawnmower/weedeater/cahinsaw/snowblower

always dump the bottom of last year's fuel jug in the truck and dilute by filling the tank, even if its premix & premium

Going cheap on the fuel and or not using fuel conditioner is just not worth the hassles you may end up with,

no starting problems on any of my small engines lawnmower/weedeater/cahinsaw/snowblower
    I think the ethanol makes a pretty big difference.

I tend to be pretty casual about using last fall's gas come spring, and I've never had a problem (even with gas that I forgot to stabilize). But that's using pure gas and quality oil. But I'd bet a lot of people are just using shitty low grade pump gas with ethanol. Or they think they're putting in premium, but there isn't a separate nozzle at the gas station and realistically the first 1/2 gallon is whatever is sitting in the hose, which is likely 85 octane crap. Which means if they're only mixing a gallon, half of their batch of premix is shit gas.

I think the ethanol makes a pretty big difference.

I tend to be pretty casual about using last fall's gas come spring, and I've never had a problem (even with gas that I forgot to stabilize). But that's using pure gas and quality oil. But I'd bet a lot of people are just using shitty low grade pump gas with ethanol. Or they think they're putting in premium, but there isn't a separate nozzle at the gas station and realistically the first 1/2 gallon is whatever is sitting in the hose, which is likely 85 octane crap. Which means if they're only mixing a gallon, half of their batch of premix is shit gas.
    Fill vehicle and gas can on same trip, car with a few gal of the non-ethanol premium before filling can. Unfortunately there's no place with a separate nozzle around here.

We have a local place that has 91 octane ethanol free on a separate pump. I try to always get that and throw in some stabilizer right away.

Or they think they're putting in premium, but there isn't a separate nozzle at the gas station and realistically the first 1/2 gallon is whatever is sitting in the hose, which is likely 85 octane crap. Which means if they're only mixing a gallon, half of their batch of premix is shit gas.

Good point ! Next time I mix up saw fuel I will run off whatever sits in the hose into the truck and then fill my 10 L jug

I had a neighbor who altho being a HD mechanic was given responsibility for all the small engines at a bulk carrier because they had ended up all dead due to bad fuel, if something didnt work it just got put it back on the rack until at some point nothing worked, so he fixed them all and then mandated all fuel must have conditioner period ... all his problems went away

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    An old logger once told me - if you buy quality, you only cry the one time at the store. Buy shit and you will be crying all the time...and be back at the store.

The importance of this statement cannot be overstated.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

A souped up Poulan would rip eh !

All 13.6 seconds would crush, bro. Guaranteed. Definitely send it bub!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

The chainsaw thread...

I agree to some extent which is why I asked whats the app ?

The model numbers don't really make any logical sense to me especially on older saws compared to new saws, so I have to goggle them but most end users have no idea what the app is of the saw they are using or that there is an app, so the saw is just a saw that only cost the least amount of money possible, it will be used/overused until its dead whereas the pro saw is built to run flat out all day and take whatever you can do to it

Cuz people don't tend to stop at a big piece of wood or half way thru a big bucking job to let that cheap saw with the plastic engine cases cool down, many don't really know how to sharpen a chain so buddy just leans on it harder and it just gets hotter until it doesnt

So instead of blowing up 3 of them cheap saws you could have bought a pro saw and as counselor Hutz the logger turned lawyer said ... you would only cry once
    Interesting thing - my current saw is my old man - the logger’s- old farm saw. I found it under his deck and brought her back to life. It’s old and heavy and likes to drink back the fuel - but I am in no hurry to replace her. She is prob anywhere from 18-25 yrs old and has had a haaard life but cuts like a champ.

Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2040.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	758.1 KB 
ID:	282927
    After

Name:	IMG_2053.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	282928

cleaned up pretty nice, wish i could look that good after all these yars, is that a 361?

I find cutting all this balsam turns a saw into a sticky ugly mess pretty quick

A lot of the Hankin BC area was cut by old loggers who were pretty much pushing the age 65 retirement

After

Name:	IMG_2053.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	282928
    Nice. Are the dogs on upside down?

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Nice. Are the dogs on upside down?
    No

You want the rounded one on the bottom so you can “roll” on to it while bucking - which is what this is set up for- clearing trail and getting firewood.

For falling I may add some to the other side, and they would be more symmetrical

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

No

You want the rounded one on the bottom so you can “roll” on to it while bucking - which is what this is set up for- clearing trail and getting firewood.

For falling I may add some to the other side, and they would be more symmetrical
    I hadn’t noticed that bottom one. The rest just look a little counterintuitive to me. <shrug>

My thinking is that the dogs are a pivot point to allow you to let the chain do the work with little arm input. So they are pointed away from the usual cutting direction . I have been witness to very long and esoteric discussions on dogs and dog size and dog shape and dog use - I think it’s prob use and species dependent. Mine just came with the saw - and I am cheap.

... I have been witness to very long and esoteric discussions on dogs and dog size and dog shape and dog use...
    . No doubt.

I haven't seen the double dogs and fullwrap handles on these relatively small 50-60 cc saws

I can think of some days cutting in a blizzard it would have been really nice to have the heated grips