Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1952
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    She's a real beaut' Clark
    That's a fine saw. Pops on the 2nd pull, starts on the third. 2nd best pawn shop saw I've purchased, only behind a 630 Super I got for $140. That one's a real peach.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    That's a fine saw. Pops on the 2nd pull, starts on the third. 2nd best pawn shop saw I've purchased, only behind a 630 Super I got for $140. That one's a real peach.
    Good find.

My grandfather ran a saw shop after he quit cutting. People were always bringing him used shit to check it over. Do you bother or just figure it start easy and runs so let’s cut?

The Stihl was an easy buy, it was in near new condition. We had that saw on the trucks when I was a volly and we ran the shit out of them. This one started right up, and was slinging oil. It ran great, and started right up again after stopping.

The 630 was obviously not a museum piece with a lot of parts and pieces mixed together, but it ran great and was slinging oil and for $140 I think was a steal. The 630 is a great saw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	630.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	321995

I think the 036 was the older cousin of the 361 and 362 they are both 60cc saws, so is the 630

I think they are all pro saws which is the key thing IMO

if you look at a bunch of sthil and they are all the same color, a homeowner saw will not have as much power as a industry saw but it will have a higher model # so the model numbers make no sense to me, if someone knows tell me

so IMO the only way to work out what kind of saw you got is google the specs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That is correct, the 036 was the 361 predecessor. The Jonsereds 630 is a 162 series Husky which was a 262 predecessor IIRC. All 60 cc class saws. Great saws.

the thing is for the most part they all look the same so you can't tell without either knowing or goggling

one of the crew bought a used Jonsered, it looked fine/started fine but it was a dog because it was not a pro quality

so when buddy pulled the trigger it just kind went waah instead of sounding like it was angry

and he knew it was a dog/wished he had bought something better

run a a pro saw next to a homeowner saw and the difference is very obvious

Thought it was 036pro —>362 and that 361 was bigger displacement HO saw.

If you want to get really picky it was 036 -> 360 -> 361 but the 360 was only made for a couple of years if IIRC. A lot of people were calling the 361 a homowner saw and not a pro saw besides what Stihl was calling it. I had a 361 and liked it but sold it in 2008 during hard times.

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/C...-forestry.aspx

Sthil 261, 362, 461 are the industry saws so I think 361 also had to be pro quality my buddy whom I have cut a lot with uses a 361 and it is a real saw

I got the 261 it will run flat out all day

I recently met a local long time pro faller buddy is 63 and just a little guy but he looks tough as nails so he told me he uses the 461's of which he owns 3, he sends them off to get souped up/ported for higher out put with low weight, sez they are the best saws he has ever used

IMO go pro

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I see you IRUL.

Bob was one of the all-time greats, and a notorious asshole. Or so said my gramps and anyone else who met him. Also instrumental in keeping Shoeless Joe and Pete out of the Hall, not that Pete needs any help in that department.
    I still call it The Jake.

Homeowners kid brought out his saw to play with us. (Also not ideal for what we're doing but still pretty happy with my husky)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1585374756433.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	322620

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I have an ms361 that I've blabbered about in this thread. I bought my used and in need of a lot of love. I did a lot of internet research about the saw, troubleshooting its various problems. New, it definitely cost like a pro saw and i believe that it has the comparable innards of other pro saws. I'm pretty sure that it was sold tuned to meet new (at that time) emissions and noise level standards and many users of 036 and 360's were pretty disappointed. There was/is a huge thread on modifying the muffler and retuning the carb to improve power on arboristsite.com. I did it to mine, and it had noticeable improvement.

With the sudden end of ski season, it looks like I'll be having more time this spring to cut wood than i played to.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Anybody using a bow bar on a saw?

only inmate crews use bow bar

fkn dangerous
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The new chainsaw FB group has a thread bantering about bow bars, their safety, etc. I’d never heard of them until now. Seems like the big safety issues may have been related to users removing (or not installing some of the safety features that come with the saws? Idk.

The chainsaw thread...

I don’t have experience using them. Only seen them with CA inmate crews I have worked with on fires and trail work.

I know very very little. Apparently, they’re great for bucking wood on the ground because you can be upright and use the weight of the saw. Not sure about how you keep from duffing your chain. also, looks like it requires mods to the saw.

the inmates use them for shitty brush

manzanita and shit

That makes sense, too.

I used bowbars on an Angeles NF (CA) hotshot crew and a Los Padres (CA) helishot crew in the mid/late-70s. They were pretty good for punching fireline in SoCal chaparral, but not for anything much bigger than your wrist. They had a dog on them that (theoretically) kept them from flying into your face, but theory>actual use. If you weren’t trained and practiced...yeah, they were dangerous. I’d never get one now.

Homelites with bowbars in chaparral, that takes me back.

Nothing like a fresh chain.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've got this little guy and it's great so far. Use it to chop up fallen wood behind the house. Makes easy work of it.

The chainsaw thread...

I have a friend with one of those ^^^. He loves it and uses it frequently. He also has an ms290 and a friend with an ms660 (if he needs something bigger). But he prefers to use his battery saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I used bowbars on an Angeles NF (CA) hotshot crew and a Los Padres (CA) helishot crew in the mid/late-70s. They were pretty good for punching fireline in SoCal chaparral, but not for anything much bigger than your wrist. They had a dog on them that (theoretically) kept them from flying into your face, but theory>actual use. If you weren’t trained and practiced...yeah, they were dangerous. I’d never get one now.

Homelites with bowbars in chaparral, that takes me back.
    Glad I can bring back some good memories

Until yesterday, I’d never heard of them. Outside of the FB thread on the “chainsaw repair, mods, and all things chainsaw!,” and a few videos, I’ve never heard of them. This video got me thinking about their use for bucking https://youtu.be/Yf-XSqHz148

That guy is using them with a pretty heavy (big?) old saws.

This vid shows a dude using one for bucking outside of an instructional vid: https://youtu.be/e5u-4_VfdIU

Anyway, it got me thinking about all the logs of Doug for that I’m accumulating from thinning my little property, well over 100 “trees” at this point and growing, and the hours of bucking ahead of me.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-12-2020 at 10:51 PM.

I've never heard of a bow bar but maybe they just never caught on around here ?

Well, I dunno. I’d never seen one used like that before. I guess if you really hate bending over, like that guy does, I could see using one like that. My experience involved pushing the bar pretty much straight into chaparral, not for fire wood. And IME they weren’t great for making a straight cut in larger stuff, if that’s important to you - the narrow nature of the bar construction made it easy to get off track.

Also, the dogs out near the tip on his bar were pretty substantial, which is good. The ones I used on fire crews were smaller (and lighter to carry) and the huge amount of tip on bowbars make it pretty easy to get some fast and furious kickback if you didn’t (or couldn’t) get the dog set. So keep that in mind if you go that way, you gotta set that dog or...

In XXX-er’s country, I’d think they’d only be useful for thinking little pecker-pole stands...maybe.

Interesting.