Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1838
  1. #1776
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Did all of these today + arrestor and she runs great. Donít know which one it was but something gave!
    Nice. Have fun cutting!

    We pretty much ran through that cleaning sequence daily when I ran saws a lot. I have seen many saw issues fixed with a new air filter and a new plug. (Recommend you add both to your mobile saw kit if you have one.)

    Itís almost like clockwork unless someone gets to the carb settings before they do all of that and then you are really screwed.

  2. #1777
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    3,822

    The chainsaw thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Nice. Have fun cutting!

    We pretty much ran through that cleaning sequence daily when I ran saws a lot. I have seen many saw issues fixed with a new air filter and a new plug. (Recommend you add both to your mobile saw kit if you have one.)

    Itís almost like clockwork unless someone gets to the carb settings before they do all of that and then you are really screwed.
    If you havenít already, find out your factory carb settings and remember it or engrave them into the shroud. It isnít hard to tune a carb from factory unless youíve got a slugíníjug installed but knowing the factory settings is pretty much key to start.

  3. #1778
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    8,297
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    If you havenít already, find out your factory carb settings and remember it or engrave them into the shroud. It isnít hard to tune a carb from factory unless youíve got a slugíníjug installed but knowing the factory settings is pretty much key to start.
    Is this Google thing or something one has to determine?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  4. #1779
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    3,822

    The chainsaw thread...

    Manual usually has it. All else fails, read the tech directions.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/manuals/

    For mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664944545.400812.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	428728

    Your 291?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664944791.440646.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	428738

  5. #1780
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    8,297
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Manual usually has it. All else fails, read the tech directions.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/manuals/

    For mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664944545.400812.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	428728

    Your 291?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664944791.440646.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	428738
    Thank you. Going to do the etch approach
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  6. #1781
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,793

    The chainsaw thread...

    I thought the video was really helpful for tuning a carb

    https://youtu.be/2j9JyA49cv8
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-05-2022 at 11:33 AM.

  7. #1782
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,979
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Did all of these today + arrestor and she runs great. Don’t know which one it was but something gave!
    Cuz i didnt want to be walking a dead saw up or down a ski run I had a maintenance regimen I would do after every 6 hr shift and the 261 never missed a beat due to deffered maintenance, from reading on-line forums it doesnt sound like anybody does maintenance

    The air flter was cheap item so i bought a spare just swap & clean, the cleaning procedure was to vaccum/ wash it in the kitchen sink with the dish sprayer and leave to dry

    As BCMH suggested I actualy read the manual cover to cover when i first started using a saw

    not sure how one would clean the arrestor and I have never heard of that

    I bumped up the idle stop but I never screwed with the carb mixture screws eva, i assume if one never does maintenance they will eventualy be wanking about with the screws to compensate ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-05-2022 at 12:05 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  8. #1783
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,367
    How would you cut this one? The fat end is up high. Standing on the boulder at the V its about 6-7'. I was going to start where it's on the ground and work my way up. I just don't want it to cantilever and be sticking straight up in the air as it may still interfere with the line or just be a hanger that will potentially fall on someone.

  9. #1784
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15,958
    I would cut the side laying on the ground up to the point where it balances like a teeter totter and put a handle and seat on each end.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  10. #1785
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    12,256
    Cut down the smaller of the two trees that it's hung up on and turn it into a skinny.

    Otherwise, make some cuts and use a chain and a come along to maneuver the thing into a workable position (or just drag it out with the come along if it'll slide through those trees).

  11. #1786
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Cuz i didnt want to be walking a dead saw up or down a ski run I had a maintenance regimen I would do after every 6 hr shift and the 261 never missed a beat due to deffered maintenance, from reading on-line forums it doesnt sound like anybody does maintenance

    The air flter was cheap item so i bought a spare just swap & clean, the cleaning procedure was to vaccum/ wash it in the kitchen sink with the dish sprayer and leave to dry

    As BCMH suggested I actualy read the manual cover to cover when i first started using a saw

    not sure how one would clean the arrestor and I have never heard of that

    I bumped up the idle stop but I never screwed with the carb mixture screws eva, i assume if one never does maintenance they will eventualy be wanking about with the screws to compensate ?
    Thatís a pretty good maintenance program. The spark arrestor has a small metal screen that can be wire brushed clean if clogged up. You might need to adjust your carb settings if you are changing altitudes a bunch from work site to work site eh?

  12. #1787
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I would cut the side laying on the ground up to the point where it balances like a teeter totter and put a handle and seat on each end.
    Ha! I made a teeter a long time ago and little kids did actually play on it. About two weeks into hunting season it disappeared. F'n redneck morans.

    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Cut down the smaller of the two trees that it's hung up on and turn it into a skinny.

    Otherwise, make some cuts and use a chain and a come along to maneuver the thing into a workable position (or just drag it out with the come along if it'll slide through those trees).
    Yeah, I was thinking a come along, but trying to avoid more tools. I do have an arborist friend who's also a mtn biker, but he's been so busy he hasn't been able to get out there. I think I can do it, but it's right on the edge of my comfort level. And I do have a pole chain saw, so if it came down to it I could get that thing out there too.

  13. #1788
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,979
    Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    That’s a pretty good maintenance program. The spark arrestor has a small metal screen that can be wire brushed clean if clogged up. You might need to adjust your carb settings if you are changing altitudes a bunch from work site to work site eh?
    I duno if it has anything to do with it but my sense is that our gas is pretty good up here ( from husky in PG ) so I never hear of cleaning the spark arrestor screen

    edit: and i only use premium

    Its really only the back of the coast mountians so IMO we aren't getting that high so i don't fuck with the mixture screws, the dealer might have initialy made an adj before giving it to me but I have purposely just never touched those screws and it runs fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  14. #1789
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    945
    Just chiming in to say non ethanol premium is best for chainsaws.
    "Let's be careful out there."

  15. #1790
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    8,297
    Spoke to the dude at the shop. He said as that as long as a saw doesnít see bad fuel, the spark arrestor should never be an issue. Apparently weed whackers are a different animal.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  16. #1791
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    907
    Posts
    14,827

  17. #1792
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    14,509
    ^ Kind of a strange video, but I’d like to get my 3 minutes back.

  18. #1793
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    16,183
    yeah me too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  19. #1794
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    907
    Posts
    14,827

  20. #1795
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I duno if it has anything to do with it but my sense is that our gas is pretty good up here ( from husky in PG ) so I never hear of cleaning the spark arrestor screen

    edit: and i only use premium

    Its really only the back of the coast mountians so IMO we aren't getting that high so i don't fuck with the mixture screws, the dealer might have initialy made an adj before giving it to me but I have purposely just never touched those screws and it runs fine
    Over oiled fuel is the culprit for clogged screens. Like If you use you MarkIII fuel in your saw. Or run a really rich mix cause your boss says so. Does not take long to clog a spark arrestor that way. I have not had to touch the carb adjustment screws often but can go from valley bottom Columbia to tree line Alberta Rockies the next day at work, so the saws can see pretty big elevation changes.

  21. #1796
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,979
    But ! But ! they can't really mean 50-1 cuz its not enough oil ... can't be !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  22. #1797
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    14,509
    Heh. It’s hard to break the 16:1 habit. Glad for store-bought premix these days.

  23. #1798
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    8,297
    Finally got back at it with the newly tuned Stihl.

    Sweet baby jeebus, those things are tits when theyíre happy. Made very short work of a cord this morning. Now to sharpen her back up!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  24. #1799
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    3,822
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Finally got back at it with the newly tuned Stihl.

    Sweet baby jeebus, those things are tits when theyíre happy. Made very short work of a cord this morning. Now to sharpen her back up!
    I only run saw for camping or helping dad on the property a couple times a year now. But when the old 38 warms up, itís so satisfying to hear its bark and jump of torque on the tip of the bar. It ate last monthís larch like it was starving. I might take down my rakers a bit more aggressively than recommended, but our softwoods are forgiving enough.

  25. #1800
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,424
    Iím sure itís been mentioned in here many times but what say yee all about the 462? I have a small husqy but need a work horse and was told to get one of these.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •