Page 72 of 79 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1952
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Did all of these today + arrestor and she runs great. Don’t know which one it was but something gave!
    Nice. Have fun cutting!

We pretty much ran through that cleaning sequence daily when I ran saws a lot. I have seen many saw issues fixed with a new air filter and a new plug. (Recommend you add both to your mobile saw kit if you have one.)

It’s almost like clockwork unless someone gets to the carb settings before they do all of that and then you are really screwed.

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Nice. Have fun cutting!

We pretty much ran through that cleaning sequence daily when I ran saws a lot. I have seen many saw issues fixed with a new air filter and a new plug. (Recommend you add both to your mobile saw kit if you have one.)

It’s almost like clockwork unless someone gets to the carb settings before they do all of that and then you are really screwed.
    If you haven’t already, find out your factory carb settings and remember it or engrave them into the shroud. It isn’t hard to tune a carb from factory unless you’ve got a slug’n’jug installed but knowing the factory settings is pretty much key to start.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    If you haven’t already, find out your factory carb settings and remember it or engrave them into the shroud. It isn’t hard to tune a carb from factory unless you’ve got a slug’n’jug installed but knowing the factory settings is pretty much key to start.
    Is this Google thing or something one has to determine?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The chainsaw thread...

Manual usually has it. All else fails, read the tech directions.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/manuals/

For mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664944545.400812.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	428728

Your 291?

Name:	Image1664944791.440646.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	428738

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Manual usually has it. All else fails, read the tech directions.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/manuals/

For mine:

Name:	Image1664944545.400812.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	428728

Your 291?

Name:	Image1664944791.440646.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	428738
    Thank you. Going to do the etch approach
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The chainsaw thread...

I thought the video was really helpful for tuning a carb

https://youtu.be/2j9JyA49cv8
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-05-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Did all of these today + arrestor and she runs great. Don’t know which one it was but something gave!
    Cuz i didnt want to be walking a dead saw up or down a ski run I had a maintenance regimen I would do after every 6 hr shift and the 261 never missed a beat due to deffered maintenance, from reading on-line forums it doesnt sound like anybody does maintenance

The air flter was cheap item so i bought a spare just swap & clean, the cleaning procedure was to vaccum/ wash it in the kitchen sink with the dish sprayer and leave to dry

As BCMH suggested I actualy read the manual cover to cover when i first started using a saw

not sure how one would clean the arrestor and I have never heard of that

I bumped up the idle stop but I never screwed with the carb mixture screws eva, i assume if one never does maintenance they will eventualy be wanking about with the screws to compensate ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-05-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How would you cut this one? The fat end is up high. Standing on the boulder at the V its about 6-7'. I was going to start where it's on the ground and work my way up. I just don't want it to cantilever and be sticking straight up in the air as it may still interfere with the line or just be a hanger that will potentially fall on someone.

I would cut the side laying on the ground up to the point where it balances like a teeter totter and put a handle and seat on each end.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Cut down the smaller of the two trees that it's hung up on and turn it into a skinny.

Otherwise, make some cuts and use a chain and a come along to maneuver the thing into a workable position (or just drag it out with the come along if it'll slide through those trees).

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Cuz i didnt want to be walking a dead saw up or down a ski run I had a maintenance regimen I would do after every 6 hr shift and the 261 never missed a beat due to deffered maintenance, from reading on-line forums it doesnt sound like anybody does maintenance

The air flter was cheap item so i bought a spare just swap & clean, the cleaning procedure was to vaccum/ wash it in the kitchen sink with the dish sprayer and leave to dry

As BCMH suggested I actualy read the manual cover to cover when i first started using a saw

not sure how one would clean the arrestor and I have never heard of that

I bumped up the idle stop but I never screwed with the carb mixture screws eva, i assume if one never does maintenance they will eventualy be wanking about with the screws to compensate ?
    That’s a pretty good maintenance program. The spark arrestor has a small metal screen that can be wire brushed clean if clogged up. You might need to adjust your carb settings if you are changing altitudes a bunch from work site to work site eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I would cut the side laying on the ground up to the point where it balances like a teeter totter and put a handle and seat on each end.
    Ha! I made a teeter a long time ago and little kids did actually play on it. About two weeks into hunting season it disappeared. F'n redneck morans.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Cut down the smaller of the two trees that it's hung up on and turn it into a skinny.

Otherwise, make some cuts and use a chain and a come along to maneuver the thing into a workable position (or just drag it out with the come along if it'll slide through those trees).
    Yeah, I was thinking a come along, but trying to avoid more tools. I do have an arborist friend who's also a mtn biker, but he's been so busy he hasn't been able to get out there. I think I can do it, but it's right on the edge of my comfort level. And I do have a pole chain saw, so if it came down to it I could get that thing out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    That’s a pretty good maintenance program. The spark arrestor has a small metal screen that can be wire brushed clean if clogged up. You might need to adjust your carb settings if you are changing altitudes a bunch from work site to work site eh?
    I duno if it has anything to do with it but my sense is that our gas is pretty good up here ( from husky in PG ) so I never hear of cleaning the spark arrestor screen

edit: and i only use premium

Its really only the back of the coast mountians so IMO we aren't getting that high so i don't fuck with the mixture screws, the dealer might have initialy made an adj before giving it to me but I have purposely just never touched those screws and it runs fine

Just chiming in to say non ethanol premium is best for chainsaws.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Spoke to the dude at the shop. He said as that as long as a saw doesn’t see bad fuel, the spark arrestor should never be an issue. Apparently weed whackers are a different animal.

^ Kind of a strange video, but I’d like to get my 3 minutes back.

yeah me too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I duno if it has anything to do with it but my sense is that our gas is pretty good up here ( from husky in PG ) so I never hear of cleaning the spark arrestor screen

edit: and i only use premium

Its really only the back of the coast mountians so IMO we aren't getting that high so i don't fuck with the mixture screws, the dealer might have initialy made an adj before giving it to me but I have purposely just never touched those screws and it runs fine
    Over oiled fuel is the culprit for clogged screens. Like If you use you MarkIII fuel in your saw. Or run a really rich mix cause your boss says so. Does not take long to clog a spark arrestor that way. I have not had to touch the carb adjustment screws often but can go from valley bottom Columbia to tree line Alberta Rockies the next day at work, so the saws can see pretty big elevation changes.

But ! But ! they can't really mean 50-1 cuz its not enough oil ... can't be !

Heh. It’s hard to break the 16:1 habit. Glad for store-bought premix these days.

Finally got back at it with the newly tuned Stihl.

Sweet baby jeebus, those things are tits when they’re happy. Made very short work of a cord this morning. Now to sharpen her back up!

Finally got back at it with the newly tuned Stihl.

Sweet baby jeebus, those things are tits when they’re happy. Made very short work of a cord this morning. Now to sharpen her back up!
    I only run saw for camping or helping dad on the property a couple times a year now. But when the old 38 warms up, it’s so satisfying to hear its bark and jump of torque on the tip of the bar. It ate last month’s larch like it was starving. I might take down my rakers a bit more aggressively than recommended, but our softwoods are forgiving enough.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned in here many times but what say yee all about the 462? I have a small husqy but need a work horse and was told to get one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums