Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1952
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ller+standards

lots of good clear concise info in these vids
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ller+standards

lots of good clear concise info in these vids
    Yes! The Humboldt undercut, my personal standard. However, it would have been a lot cooler if they’d spelled “Humboldt” correctly.

the technique I was thinking of was basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBULPgWfUc

Although I was taught to take the bind first - then do the undercut in a way that will allow the tree to come down in a controlled manner

Ok so I see where the " fence posts " are being created in that vid

Thats ^^ what I do when my trees get hung up

Anyone whom is not sure wtf they are doing there is a whole lot of vids online about falling trees
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-03-2019 at 09:16 AM.

in my brief experience, i find a lot more tension / compression (high energy) in blowdown than trees that get hung-up. I slowly work to ease the tension/compression. I'm getting better at not pinching my bar. I get tricked about where the compression is on occasion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

I just learned what barberchair is...
    https://youtu.be/EKzvkRnCF58

The chainsaw thread...

Oh shit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I just learned what barberchair is...
    https://youtu.be/EKzvkRnCF58
    Alder and maple you gotta watch your ass. Honestly, I would leave both to a pro. You need long bars (get as far away from the tree as possible), big and fast saws, and a fucking sharp full skip chain for equipment, and a whole lot of skill with a bit of a willingness to die.

I am happy to see they had shit house luck on their side!

This one is strong with WTAFF?!?!?!

Cut a bunch of blowdowns today. This thread has really elevated my still very low skillset.

This one is fucked. I just hope it falls...and not on anyone. Right next to a trail.

That last picture: hard to tell from the photo, but I’d consider getting a rope around it and pulling down, perhaps with a simple rope come-along pulley system that’d allow the puller(s) some leverage and the ability to be out of harms way.

Yeah, it's a tough one. I thought about what you mentioned and it could probably be done, but I would want help with that. Was hard to get a pic with any sense of scale. To the right there is two main branches compressed up against another tree. I think ideally is climb the thing and cut from up top. Not something I can do though.

Understood. Hard to tell from a single photo. It looks like a pretty big limb.

The chainsaw thread...

Anyone use their chainsaw to cut rough timber to use on mountain bike features? What do you use for a mill jig? I’m not looking to rip anything big.

Something like this? https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...xoCCu4QAvD_BwE

You should get the SCA trail work book.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

hmmmm, I don't see any mtn bikers doing that ^^ instead they buy wood and figure out how to get it out to where its needed, the local mtn bike association in some cases uses treated beams like for under a bridge which makes sense looking at it from the very long view instead of replacing an entire bridge 10-20 yars down the road ?

My understanding is you need a pretty good pro quality saw the bigger the better, which is then heavier/ more expensive/ burns more fuel and then you got the jig which all presents more logistics problems if what you are doing is trying to mill the wood on site ?

also every cut uses 1/4 " of your wood one of the reasons why bandsaw mills are better, I know people who have bought a bandsaw mill did the wood to build their houses and sell the mill to the next guy
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Anyone use their chainsaw to cut rough timber to use on mountain bike features? What do you use for a mill jig? I’m not looking to rip anything big.

Something like this? https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...xoCCu4QAvD_BwE
    I did that. Welded myself an Alaska mill to plank out logs for wood features on trails.

It works, but I concluded that my saw just isn't big / strong enough to efficiently rip logs. It just takes too long. Went back to buying / hauling planks.

A friend uses an AK mill on his little ranch with an ms390. Pretty sure he only uses it on softwoods.

This might be the place to ask, given the recent discussion. I have a large yellow birch hung up on a maple. The birch is badly rotten for 10 feet or more, but still attached to the stump. Too dangerous to cut the birch or the maple. I have been waiting 3 years for the wind to take it down, but has not happened yet. Thinking about blasting it with some black powder on a rainy day with friends on hand. Never done something like that. Any thoughts?

Tannerite is what you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    This might be the place to ask, given the recent discussion. I have a large yellow birch hung up on a maple. The birch is badly rotten for 10 feet or more, but still attached to the stump. Too dangerous to cut the birch or the maple. I have been waiting 3 years for the wind to take it down, but has not happened yet. Thinking about blasting it with some black powder on a rainy day with friends on hand. Never done something like that. Any thoughts?
    Just hire a pro? Won't cost much to just drop them. You can do the clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    What's the plan once you blow it off the stump?

If it is really rotten maybe just cripple cut it and winch the whole thing out with a come along?

Up in the woods on a ski glade. Couple guys I cut with are a lot better than me with a saw and won’t touch it. Have thought about try to get off with come along but lot of weight. It’s a big tree. If we break it free from the stump and still hung up should be able take down in pieces. Appreciate thoughts
    Last edited by cat in january; 08-04-2019 at 05:44 PM.