Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79
Results 1,951 to 1,952 of 1952
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    The angle of the top plate changes the aggressiveness and durability. More angle is more aggressive and more square is more durable. Dad is running more aggressive because he was always cutting clean, green, softwoods. I am going more durable because of cutting all kinds of firewood.

The stone and grinder are definitely for this chain; however, I need to keep fiddling. There are a few adjustments on the grinder itself and then the main adjustments are on how the stone is shaped itself, I am using Simington’s stone shape right now, but may change it. There are two diamond dressers with adjustable angles. One is for the top of the stone and the other for the side.

Square can be filled in the field with a square file, hit it’s a PIA especially trying to get the same angles as the grinder. I would rather swap chain. A few minutes of swapping the chain and keep cutting fast

There is the conventional wisdom that square dulls faster, but I think it’s a push. Dirt dulls the chain equally fast, what is different though it the break ability. A square tooth chain running fast through wood and then hitting wire or rock can break right off, especially on a chain that has been ground a lot.

https://youtu.be/IqTfvxFDo5g?si=7pVYSrT1PLUmReK0

Lots of YouTube coming up now. People are getting hip to square.

Handle the rakers just like round. A few swipes every grind. There are raker and gullet grinders but they are expensive and not too worth it.
    Back in the day we made sure everyone had a raker guide, they're pretty cheap and help keep the chain cutting efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Back in the day we made sure everyone had a raker guide, they're pretty cheap and help keep the chain cutting efficiently.
    for sure on the guide. I use one.